The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Very nice! I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but until I played a really well crafted maple guitar, I had no idea how amazing maple could sound. I can only imagine that Jim's maple guitars sound glorious! CONGRATS!
Thanks for posting.

Regarding maple, in all honesty I think most of us have had very limited experience with it. We all know what an archtop sounds like -- and many of us would've tried a J-200 at some point. Not the most typical guitars...

Now, I posted a recording of a Kraut OM maple a couple of years ago and it sounded really warm. There's also a number of videos featuring Laurence Juber on his maple Martin -- and he doesn't sound bright at all.

I do expect the maple SJ to sound brighter and less complex than a rosewood equivalent -- but I also trust it will sound like an Olson.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Even so, it's nice to have your words join your music - looking forward to following this along.

Cheers,

D.
It's an effort for me to write in semi proper English.

Maybe Brett can join in and write the story for me...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM

I think everyone on this forum will be anxious to hear this guitar in your hands and hear what the differences might be between this maple and the cedar/rosewoods. I'm sure it will still have that Olson sound...maybe brighter, but still Olson. This will be a very good indicator of some of the wood choice differences. Same builder, same player, similar recording...just different wood choices...should make for a good comparison.

Very cool, very clean. Congratulations, Mau. Looking forward to hearing what you'll do with it!

Kevin.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
While a lot of people look for a new guitar when they’re unsatisfied with what they’ve got, for me it was always the opposite. The happier I am with a guitar, the more I want another variation of it. If I could afford to own ten guitars that were identical except for visual appointments, I probably would.
Mau, I think you hit the nail right on the head with this line. Great guitars truly inspire you to want more of it!

Quote:
I remember attending a James Taylor concert, and while I was no major JT fan, I heard a guitar sound that I had never heard before – and to my ears it sounded really good.
Isn't it interesting how some of our favorite artists influence us? I had a similar feeling when I first saw Pierre Bensusan play his Nightingale. The next day I was on the phone with Kevin Ryan!

Congrats on your build. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
I think everyone on this forum will be anxious to hear this guitar in your hands and hear what the differences might be between this maple and the cedar/rosewoods. I'm sure it will still have that Olson sound...maybe brighter, but still Olson. This will be a very good indicator of some of the wood choice differences. Same builder, same player, similar recording...just different wood choices...should make for a good comparison.

Very cool, very clean. Congratulations, Mau. Looking forward to hearing what you'll do with it!

Kevin.
Thanks Kevin.

I expect a more fundamental tone with a somewhat brighter trail and a broader dynamic range.

Not sure if I already mentioned it -- but the maple SJ will also feature a black pickguard. Very important detail.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Mau! Such a classy and elegant looking guitar--can't wait to hear the music you'll create with it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not sure if I already mentioned it -- but the maple SJ will also feature a black pickguard. Very important detail.
...as long as you dont retro-fit one to the mahogany Olson, I'll still be able to sleep at night.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Mau, I think you hit the nail right on the head with this line. Great guitars truly inspire you to want more of it!
Hey Eric, when I play a not so inspiring instrument I just feel like doing something else, you know? I wouldn't think about buying more gear unless I'm in a good phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Isn't it interesting how some of our favorite artists influence us? I had a similar feeling when I first saw Pierre Bensusan play his Nightingale. The next day I was on the phone with Kevin Ryan!

Congrats on your build. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together
Thank you.

Artists and athletes have always had a huge influence on brand perception. And when it comes to custom guitars, an artist touring extensively with a guitar also speaks volume about the instrument's structural integrity.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats, Mau! Such a classy and elegant looking guitar--can't wait to hear the music you'll create with it!
Thanks, Kevin.

I may (try to) dabble into jazz (for about the 10th time) with this guitar. We'll see if I can manage fancy chords with it.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
...as long as you dont retro-fit one to the mahogany Olson, I'll still be able to sleep at night.
You know that Jim cuts his own pickguards? So technically it's all "original" equipment...
Old 06-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Congrats Mau !

A great maple SJ is a great pleasure... that, I know myself !

I'm very happy for you, as I know that this new guitar will bring new tone and sounds, and these are fantastic sources of inspiration for a talented artist like you.
I'll be following this thread, of course, and will be waiting for your music to treat us all.

JF

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Congratulations Mau, I think this guitar will be a perfect addition to your stable. Looking forward to following this thread and watching it develop from wood to sound. On another note, loved your latest video and the contrasting style-can't wait to hear your jazz-style playing.
Thanks for sharing, I'm sure I speak for many when I say we get a lot of pleasure from your commissions and playing.
PS I'm sure I've got socks older than 39 years old, you've got more than that still to go, so don't get that 'old' feeling just yet, music keeps us all feeling young.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I took inspiration from Brett -- but unlike him I ran out of gas after one post.
That's ok I ran out of gas eventually too ha ha!

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Congratulations Mau!

This will allow me to continue vicariously after my own build thread is finished… and in style too Can't wait to hear you playing this!

Jon

Last edited by JonBarclay; 06-10-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-10-2015, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

A big YES on the Maple. A very under rated tonewood....I am sure you will love it.

www.vinesguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop