The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Despite the smiley-winky face, I'm not sure what your point is.
My point was that the guitar was not a big enough success to keep the company's doors open.

The Cargo was a unique instrument in the marketplace. I'm sure another manufacturer will get in on that market if they see it as a money-making product.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
At the risk of spreading a rumor, there is ongoing discussion in another forum that CA has a new owner and may resurrect in 3 months: http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php/topic,1745.0.html
May be just a rumor, but I wouldn't be shocked were it to happen.

Bill
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Wow, Chris, that sux big time. What model is it, and is there any way you could post a pic for us?

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Yes I can. I'm not sure how to right now, but I will find out. It feels like the neck has shrunk away from the finger board, but only on the top of the neck. It actually my not be delaminated, but it was not like this when I bought it. I will get back to the forum.

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Thank you, Chris. Let us know if we can help.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
That's my take on things, as well.

There is some chance that there will be no more Cargos, especially, and they are a unique short-scale instrument in the marketplace.

IMO guitar-builders large and small *should* take notice of how this little 22.75" scale guitar performed in the sales-arena. The Cargo was a huge unqualified success, and unless CA re-opens, I don't see an equivalent guitar on the horizon.
I agree with Larry on this. In addition, I have read some posts over at the carbon fiber forums that indicated that some people wished for the Cargo size, but with a full scale fretboard and possibly other changes to the design. Those who really like the Cargo just as it is should consider getting one of the original CA guitar models because even if the Cargo were picked up by another company or if CA Guitars decided to continue it, there could possibly be some modifications to better address the market that might change it in ways some of us might not appreciate. To me, the Cargo is the "perfect" guitar, so I now own three and some spare parts.

Tony
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post

Do you think this was a storage problem??
No I was in contact with CA about a small de-lam. They would have taken it long ago, but I didn't want to part with it. Now that they are closed, I want to have them fix it. I am playing the guitar right now. The sustain is not as good this way.

Chris
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I am too much a traditionalist to consider a carbon fiber guitar. Sad to see any company go, but there are lots that share my perspective. They certainly do have their place in the world that weather conditions and uses are way too challenging for a wood guitar, but outside of that, I am sticking with wood.
Where do you live? In a temperate zone? or where do you and how do you store these fragile instruments on your given climate?

Last edited by velo72; 03-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Composite Acoustics gone - What a shame - I just got my Cargo prior to the news ... looks like the limited supply has jumped the price up a few $$$$$$ on the guitars that are still in shops

They kept setting their guitar prices lower and lower - That killed the folks who bought guitars early on ... in retrospect looks like they had cash flow issues - reminds me of Lowden ... great guitar makers are not always great businessmen

No doubt someone will pick up their assets but I doubt the guitars will ever be as good .................. <sigh>
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I wonder if I should sell my CA shirt on eBay while the chat is hot? I got it at Acoustic Music Works but I don't know if he has more.
What other CA Memorabilia is there?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed51 View Post
I talked with him at length in Arlington, and he seemed disappointed that they had not contacted him about their situation. He was one of their early endorsers, and had their only signature model ... the one he was playing this weekend with the sound port and the Aura system, with software that emulates a D-28, a J-200, and 3 or 4 others. He is one of the truly nice people in the music business, and it seems like he would deserve a phone call. He did more to promote their product than anyone I am aware of, including the rep firm that handled their "sales."

It was also interesting that even though he is one of the few traditional bluegrass pickers to plug in, that he was also using a mic, and working in and out from the mic as needed for emphasis.

Couldn't agree more regarding Tim. He is a giant talent, IMHO. Ridiculously talented flat picker, guitarist, writer and singer. His playing, singing and writing with Blue Highway is legendary and his recent solo CD just confirms how incredible of a musician he is. He's become one of my all-time favorites. I feel badly if he was not notified by CA about what was going on with the company. As an endorser, he certainly deserved better than that.

Tom
Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Ironically the Stafford model was the one that got the worst reviews over on what used to be the carbon forum, now simply a page on the MacNic site. I'm told Tim requested and got more neck relief than the standard Legacy which made the guitars harder to play.

It is strange they didn't contact him though.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Sad to see a great American company making a great product go. I LOVE my older charcoal 5i, it's my go to acoustic. I may buy others, but I'll keep this one forever.

I'm a huge fan of gear that sounds like itself, not a copy of a Martin or a Strat or a Marshall. My CA guitar sounds like no other, my friends say that it sounds like a 12 string playing along with an upright bass when I fingerpick. Everyone is always fascinated with the tone and playability. Awesome sound DI'd, very little EQ needed by the engineer. Just don't try to mic it with that scratchy top, heh. I play it outside, leave it in the car, have fallen asleep while camping and someone left it on the picnic table all night, I wipe off the morning dew with a t-shirt and it's still perfectly in tune. What other guitar is all that at once?

As far as all the speculation, I think a lot of people missed the post from the former employee a few pages ago. Being a small business guy myself, it seems like the revenue projections didn't work and the investors pulled out. You can be very successful and still need cash infusions for materials, inventory, tooling, maintenance, marketing, etc. Very small business is easy because overhead is low and you have the initial investments still around, and very large is pretty easy because you typically have major cash reserves, it's the in-between size that's tough and kills off countless otherwise great companies.

I hope that they either find new investors or new ownership. They made a very high quality, unique product. We need companies and people like this in our lives.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Sad news indeed. I popped into RainSong to pick up a gig bag for my OM on my last trip Darn Sarf and they, too, have had an abysmal 2009. Only 2 people working in the shop when I was there.

My local pusher has a couple of CAs - might just be time to make a deal....

'78 Martin HD-28
'09 MIAC Show PRS Angelus Cutaway
'04 McPherson 4.5 EIR/redwood
'09 PRS Tonare Grand, Adirondack/cocobolo

Electrics:
6 x PRS
4 x Fender
Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM

at the guitar shop I frequent they told me a near by higher end Guitar maker made a trip down there to possibly purchase the company but they had too much out standing debt for him to take on. This guy has some unique inovations not only in guitars but world class archery.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
at the guitar shop I frequent they told me a near by higher end Guitar maker made a trip down there to possibly purchase the company but they had too much out standing debt for him to take on. This guy has some unique inovations not only in guitars but world class archery.

Interesting - what does he produce?

I had (have) the very first Oneida Eagle ever to come into Canada. Still cherry and still a killer bow.

'78 Martin HD-28
'09 MIAC Show PRS Angelus Cutaway
'04 McPherson 4.5 EIR/redwood
'09 PRS Tonare Grand, Adirondack/cocobolo

Electrics:
6 x PRS
4 x Fender

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber