The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Krishna View Post
So maybe this is not the place to post this, but I know of a Canadian Guitar store manager who was told by someone who should know, that the California division of a popular Canadian made brand had totally shut down about 6 weeks ago. I emailed the factory asking for any details or confirmations, and got no reply. Te Vancouver devision is still up and running, but if I remember correctly, they were only building 2 or 3 models of their guitar there. If this turns out to be not true, then I will be sorry that I posted it. I actually heard of this almost a month ago, and wanted someone else to bring it up, just in case it's all lies. Remember, if it IS all lies, I made a mistake in posting this. Maybe this company should review their Email policy...
That particular Canadian company, to my enormous surprise, wasn't at NAMM this year either........

P.S. Just called and they deny that the California factory is closed. They don't have a PR person on-site so couldn't really follow-up....

'78 Martin HD-28
'09 MIAC Show PRS Angelus Cutaway
'04 McPherson 4.5 EIR/redwood
'09 PRS Tonare Grand, Adirondack/cocobolo

Electrics:
6 x PRS
4 x Fender

Last edited by Ridgeback; 03-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
We all should really stop whining now and buy the ones that are out there for a great price.
That's what I did today. Bought a Cargo Raw with electronics.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Hey Supermancs,

Thanks for correcting my mistake on the name of CA's founder. My mistake and apologies to Ellis.

Bryce
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Ridge, thanks for clearing this up. They really need to get someone better answering the Emails...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGibsonF5 View Post
I listened to Tim Stafford of Blue Highway play his CA at a bluegrass festival in Arlington, TX this weekend and it sounded great. It's the only guitar he travels with today, and Tim Stafford dosen't play just anything. BTW, Tim has used the CA for several recordings of Blue Highway's CD's.
I talked with him at length in Arlington, and he seemed disappointed that they had not contacted him about their situation. He was one of their early endorsers, and had their only signature model ... the one he was playing this weekend with the sound port and the Aura system, with software that emulates a D-28, a J-200, and 3 or 4 others. He is one of the truly nice people in the music business, and it seems like he would deserve a phone call. He did more to promote their product than anyone I am aware of, including the rep firm that handled their "sales."

It was also interesting that even though he is one of the few traditional bluegrass pickers to plug in, that he was also using a mic, and working in and out from the mic as needed for emphasis.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 AM

BigRed, When you talk about emulation software for a D28 J200 is that software beyond Aura or are you talking about Aura images?
Thanks,
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
That's what I did today. Bought a Cargo Raw with electronics.
Yeah, sometimes my kids ask me to play it because they like the fancy look. It's awesome. You will like it.

As somewhat of a surprise to me, I have only seen Danny of APM post prices so far significantly lower than MAP. Not sure what all others are doing with their inventories?

Karl
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Not sure what all others are doing with their inventories?
I had to call four places yesterday before I found a store that still had a couple of Cargos in stock. I bought one and the price was not discounted. I don't get a sense vendors need to drop their prices to sell their last remaining CAs.

Richard
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
BigRed, When you talk about emulation software for a D28 J200 is that software beyond Aura or are you talking about Aura images?
I am referring to Aura images, but I got the impression that he was not using "off the shelf" images ... I could be wrong, and did not ask specifically.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
cpa with your list of Olsons, I can see why a CA didn't have to be in your stable. But then again picture yourself on the beach with your Olson.
Steve
You are right about that...but I have a Martin Backpacker!

I think for those applications a composite guitar makes sense. THen again, if there was a jam session on the beach, I wouldn't think twice about taking a good guitar. It isn't like it is going to be rolling around in the sand!

My wife loves car trips...she gets to drive and I sit in the front with the Martin Backpacker and play, work on arrangements etc!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed51 View Post
I talked with him at length in Arlington, and he seemed disappointed that they had not contacted him about their situation. He was one of their early endorsers, and had their only signature model ... the one he was playing this weekend with the sound port and the Aura system, with software that emulates a D-28, a J-200, and 3 or 4 others. He is one of the truly nice people in the music business, and it seems like he would deserve a phone call. He did more to promote their product than anyone I am aware of, including the rep firm that handled their "sales."

It was also interesting that even though he is one of the few traditional bluegrass pickers to plug in, that he was also using a mic, and working in and out from the mic as needed for emphasis.
THe best emulation for a D-28......in my opinion...is the real thing, a Martin D-28 LOL

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
I had to call four places yesterday before I found a store that still had a couple of Cargos in stock. I bought one and the price was not discounted. I don't get a sense vendors need to drop their prices to sell their last remaining CAs.

Richard
That's my take on things, as well.

There is some chance that there will be no more Cargos, especially, and they are a unique short-scale instrument in the marketplace.

IMO guitar-builders large and small *should* take notice of how this little 22.75" scale guitar performed in the sales-arena. The Cargo was a huge unqualified success, and unless CA re-opens, I don't see an equivalent guitar on the horizon.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
That's my take on things, as well.

There is some chance that there will be no more Cargos, especially, and they are a unique short-scale instrument in the marketplace.

IMO guitar-builders large and small *should* take notice of how this little 22.75" scale guitar performed in the sales-arena. The Cargo was a huge unqualified success, and unless CA re-opens, I don't see an equivalent guitar on the horizon.
Such a success that the company closed.

My local dealer sold every one that they could get. The big problem was that they couldn't get them.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
Such a success that the company closed.

My local dealer sold every one that they could get. The big problem was that they couldn't get them.

Despite the smiley-winky face, I'm not sure what your point is.

The reality is that we don't really know what went on behind the scenes to cause the closure of CA, if some important manager quit, or if some expensive/ irreplaceable equipment broke...but it's certainly clear that the Cargo (which is the beginning and the end of my CA experience) was a rather well-liked guitar in the marketplace.

Again, *my* point is that there is a *unique* and successful product that has been removed from the marketplace.

Builders and manufacturers should take note of this void...and fill it. There is a market for this kind of guitar, and there is money to be made...and customers to make happy.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM

At the risk of spreading a rumor, there is ongoing discussion in another forum that CA has a new owner and may resurrect in 3 months: http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php/topic,1745.0.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber