The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Default Question for little Martin owners...

I have a Martin LX1 that I play pretty frequently at work. It's small size makes it nice to transport, and the spruce top gives decent sound. Better than I expected for such a small guitar. I've tried PB lights and bluegrass guage strings on it, and so far the bluegrass strings seem better for strumming while the lights give better balance for fingerpicking. I know it'll never sound like a dreadnought, but since I play it frequently I'd like to get it sounding as good as possible. So, what strings would you recommend? Thanks!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-29-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

All you can do is try different strings and judge for yourself. I've tried all kinds and none of them caused me to take them off since they were so bad. None made me loyal for life either.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-30-2021, 12:14 AM

I own a 2009 Martin LX1, bought used in 2017, which has Morado (EIR) on its fretboard and bridge. I still keep it but only play it occasionally in the night when I want a soft guitar. It has PB Lights, 12-53 strings on it.

I also used to own (not anymore) a Martin Dreadnought Junior 2, all-Sapele, which would be much louder than the LX1, but also much bulkier to transport. Maybe just leave your Dreadnought Junior in the office.

I also own a Martin 00-15M, bought new, in 2019. When I see your signature, I thought “Wow, we have 3 guitars in common”. I noticed that all your guitars are Martin. And the HD28 is not an “El cheapo” guitar. Mind sharing how you came up with that Profile name El Cheapo?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I've tried all kinds and none of them caused me to take them off since they were so bad. None made me loyal for life either.
I'm currently using some PB lights. They're ok. I was thinking the guitar has been out there long enough by now that someone may have found strings that really bring it to life and make it sound great. It's still waaaay better than the Backpacker!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-30-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Maybe just leave your Dreadnought Junior in the office.

Mind sharing how you came up with that Profile name El Cheapo?
Unfortunately I am presently unable to leave my guitar at work or I would do exactly what you suggested.

Yes, I definitely like Martin guitars. I live in Pennsylvania not far from the factory. I've taken the tour several times and also took delivery of a couple of my guitars there.

El cheapo? I tend to think of it as being a good steward. I have many hobbies and interests, and since I'm not independently wealthy I can't have the best of everything so I prioritize what's important to me. For example, instead of riding a 10,000 dollar mountain bike when I go on a bike hike with my Boy Scout troop I ride an old Schwinn my Dad gave me. But having endured the frustration of a few crappy guitars I'll gladly spend the money for a quality instrument. So a lot of times you can get by with El cheapo, but sometimes you do need the best. A Scout is thrifty you know!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-30-2021, 09:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
Unfortunately I am presently unable to leave my guitar at work or I would do exactly what you suggested.

Yes, I definitely like Martin guitars. I live in Pennsylvania not far from the factory. I've taken the tour several times and also took delivery of a couple of my guitars there.

El cheapo? I tend to think of it as being a good steward. I have many hobbies and interests, and since I'm not independently wealthy I can't have the best of everything so I prioritize what's important to me. For example, instead of riding a 10,000 dollar mountain bike when I go on a bike hike with my Boy Scout troop I ride an old Schwinn my Dad gave me. But having endured the frustration of a few crappy guitars I'll gladly spend the money for a quality instrument. So a lot of times you can get by with El cheapo, but sometimes you do need the best. A Scout is thrifty you know!
Wow! How I wish I lived near the Martin factory like you. Thanks for your reply. I like and enjoyed reading your story and reason for your Profile name.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I own a 2009 Martin LX1, bought used in 2017,
I'm curious how you determined the year of manufacture on your little Martin. I tried running the serial number on mine and got nowhere fast.
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-30-2021, 01:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
I'm curious how you determined the year of manufacture on your little Martin. I tried running the serial number on mine and got nowhere fast.
When I bought my LX1 from the previous owner, he actually kept the receipt of his purchase. It was the year he bought the guitar from the guitar shop. So it may not be that accurate but just a rough guide, where by I estimated the year it was made in.

I remember someone here posting a link which can tell the year your Martin was made in by its serial number.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:12 PM

None of the links I've tried work for the little Martin. The serial number is different than everything else.
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-30-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
None of the links I've tried work for the little Martin. The serial number is different than everything else.

Hopefully someone who can help you will read this thread and be able to help you.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-30-2021, 02:09 PM

That would be very helpful!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hopefully someone who can help you will read this thread and be able to help you.
Email Martin
I did, and found out what year mine was made
Just provide the s/n
Old 11-30-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I have a Martin LX1 that I play pretty frequently at work. It's small size makes it nice to transport, and the spruce top gives decent sound. Better than I expected for such a small guitar. I've tried PB lights and bluegrass guage strings on it, and so far the bluegrass strings seem better for strumming while the lights give better balance for fingerpicking. I know it'll never sound like a dreadnought, but since I play it frequently I'd like to get it sounding as good as possible. So, what strings would you recommend? Thanks!
I have the LXK2 version and have been real happy with Elixir Nanoweb PB mediums. Tone and volume are great for that guitar.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-30-2021, 07:00 PM

The short scale requires heavier strings. If I remember correctly, Martin ships them with Lifespan 2.0 mediums.

I use medium lights on my LXK2. I bought it for kayak camping, and the best thing about it is that I can fit it into a large drybag and strap it to the back of my yak without worry. A fun campfire guitar, and since it's made of HPL, you never have to worry about someone breaking it up for firewood.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifret View Post
I have the LXK2 version and have been real happy with Elixir Nanoweb PB mediums. Tone and volume are great for that guitar.
Mediums would be great, but with the thin 1 11/16ths nut width they just don't work for me. I have short fat fingers and have to stick with lights on this guitar, and that's after I recut the nut to give me as much space between strings as possible!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion