The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Had a weird experience today. I decided to sand my satin neck with 0000 steel wool as I like it more smooth. I was not going to sand it to the bottom, but just give it a light twist. After sanding a bit I put the guitar on my stand and went to the toilet When I came back I picked up the guitar and played on it and bang ! the guitar suddenly sounded louder, much more resonant and with a fuller bass.
We must also consider that when you picked the guitar back up YOU were presumably carrying less mass and were less humid.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-29-2021 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Corrected quote tags.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
Maybe people should be placing their Tonerites on the back of the neck instead of the bridge.
Forget tonerite, too expensive, a twist of steelwool and a toiletvisit is all you need to open up a guitar :-)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:17 PM

Interesting result.

One of the features of my 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 is a very thin lacquer finish all over - I believe it's only 4 coats instead of the usual glossy 9 coats.

I'm not sure how much the thin lacquer finish contributes to the sound but together with the 'thermally aged' top and hide glue construction the guitar sounds magnificent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-29-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

There is no question that lots of smaller things could cause this. Like your ears becoming less plugged(which can happen between waking up and an couple of hours). It is possible that the liquids or solids inside you were restricting your muscles..effecting your ears or other parts.
That is the most likely scenario having to do with your body. However, Anything is possible. A slight sanding may have cleaned dirt off the finish. Most everyone believes that there is a difference in sound between Gloss finish and sating finish. And if that is true..then...who knows...might have had some dirt in pores.
In a recent pole, only about a 1/3 of the people could tell a difference in sound when wearing a Short Sleeve T-shirt versus a long Sleeve sweater. So one might ask what is going on with those type of numbers. Are those 1/3 people imagining? or does Sound react differently for different people.
I do not know the answer myself. All I can tell you....is most everything effects the sound of an acoustic guitar in some ways or another. For some people a little difference is a big difference because of their playing style. For others...it is barely noticeable and in reality makes no difference.
In the world of acoustic guitars most anything is possible, regardless of how unlikely.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:45 PM

Seriously and joking aside, I know the guitar quite well and how it sounds humid / non humid. I can tell that the change was so drastic that I thought a brace had broken loose, however, I can not just see or hear anything by tapping the bottom and top. This is not just my ears playing a trick on me, the guitar is more resonant now than it usually is and still is after several hours.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:51 PM

This thread is not really about guitars it's about psychology. Psychoacoustics to be precise.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:55 PM

Does the guitar have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish or a polyurethane finish?

Entombing things in plastic is not good for them.

For a demonstration of the the principle, put a plastic bag over your head until you can no longer breathe. This represents the polyurethane finish on a guitar.

Once you can't breathe, reach up and tear a small hole in the bag. This represents taking the steel wool to the neck and removing some of the finish.

Which do you enjoy more?

Very soon, I will be told how very wrong I am. But I'm not. And the same people who can't wait to tell me that I'm wrong would turn up their noses immediately at a guitar with plastic nut and saddle.

But they don't mind if their entire guitar is entombed in plastic.

I hate polyurethane in all its nefarious forms, for multiple reasons. You should, too.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:58 PM

Well psychology and conspiracy theories too.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I donīt know what you mean ?
He made a joke that had absolutely nothing to do with what you were talking about.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Well psychology and conspiracy theories too.
I worked as a polymer chemist in research and development. I happened to be one of four chemists working the day that the very first twelve kilometer segment of fiber optic cable was drawn. It was deemed that fiber optics would not be commercially viable unless fiber optic cable could be drawn in at least twelve kilometer segments.

That happened because of the polymer coating that we developed and applied. It had never been done before. If you use fiber optics, I get twenty-five percent of the credit. I also happen to be a luthier.

My wife was also a polymer chemist before she went into medicine. All her favorite guitars have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. The other one is a, "campfire guitar".

But you can spend your money for plastic-entombed guitars if you wish.

However, if you're going to mount an argument against things that people say, avoid the faux laughing, conspiracy theory wisecracks. It is immediately interpreted by thinking people as, "I don't have an argument that will hold water, so I'll crack a conspiracy theory joke instead."
Old 11-29-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Had a weird experience today. I decided to sand my satin neck with 0000 steel wool as I like it more smooth. I was not going to sand it to the bottom, but just give it a light twist. After sanding a bit I put the guitar on my stand and went to the toilet When I came back I picked up the guitar and played on it and bang ! the guitar suddenly sounded louder, much more resonant and with a fuller bass. For a longer period there has been about 60% humidity in my room which of course could be heard on the guitar, so I was shocked by this sudden development. I have a hard time believing that it may be the bit of finish I have removed that should be able to create this development, what do you think, is it just a coincidence ?
me: scramble to find 0000 steel wool in my house

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 11-29-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
I think he was referring to pots in an electric guitar.
I thought he referred to the toilet.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
I worked as a polymer chemist in research and development. I happened to be one of four chemists working the day that the very first twelve kilometer segment of fiber optic cable was drawn. It was deemed that fiber optics would not be commercially viable unless fiber optic cable could be drawn in at least twelve kilometer segments.

That happened because of the polymer coating that we developed and applied. It had never been done before. If you use fiber optics, I get twenty-five percent of the credit. I also happen to be a luthier.

My wife was also a polymer chemist before she went into medicine. All her favorite guitars have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. The other one is a, "campfire guitar".

But you can spend your money for plastic-entombed guitars if you wish.

However, if you're going to mount an argument against things that people say, avoid the faux laughing, conspiracy theory wisecracks. It is immediately interpreted by thinking people as, "I don't have an argument that will hold water, so I'll crack a conspiracy theory joke instead."

Did you know that the number of people who drowned in a pool from the year 2000 to 2010 is almost identical to the number of movies Nicholas Cage appeared in?

Crazy I know, but it's true.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 PM

I need to borrow some steel wool for fuel injector maintenance on my camry! [emoji55]

Seriously tho, have you considered sanding off more than just the neck at this point?
2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural
Old 11-30-2021, 01:07 AM

I waxed my car today and it drives faster now

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion