The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Martin HPL models??
Old 11-29-2021, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you ventured into the Carbon Fiber forum? I made that mistake a few weeks ago and now have an Emerald on order. No humidity worries.
And a good carbon fiber guitar will sound so much better than an all laminate one.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 AM

Why not stick a humidifier in the case? Seems controlling humidity would be cheaper than a new guitar.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Why not stick a humidifier in the case? Seems controlling humidity would be cheaper than a new guitar.
Probably because the OP wanted to have something to hang on the wall. Hanging the guitar in the case is most likely out of the question.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:51 AM

Hard to believe hundreds of thousands of guitars have survived decades without humidity damage while being kept by "negligent" owners the way people talk on this forum. On the other hand plenty of babied boutique guitars with repaired cracks seem to pop up for sale all the time. Really makes you think... Sorta like a child right, if you pamper and protect them too much, then the minute they face adversity they struggle. Maybe guitars aren't meant to be kept at the same temperature and humidity constantly and actually do better with a little moving and breathing and variation.

You could listen to the suggestions to spend thousands of dollars on an Emerald (which have plenty of their own issues) or you could just buy something cheap and wood but decent on Craigslist (or AGF) and leave it on the stand and enjoy it and not worry if something happens to it (which it probably won't, because I promise that 30 year old Yamaha or whatever on Craigslist that's seemingly in decent shape for $300 hasn't been pampered during its life so is unlikely to kill itself because your house gets dry for a few months).
Old 11-30-2021, 07:33 AM

I've got a crappy old German round-hole archtop that would make for a nicely kitchy wall ornament and that you can come pick up for free if that's all you're looking for

It survived at least 40 years in an unheated, non-insulated attic storage space, without imploding or cracking ... but the neck got warped and the single brace came 1/3 loose, apparently causing the top to cave in partly (though I have reason to believe this happened earlier because the bridge seems cut to compensate for this anomaly).

EDIT: not intended to be taken as a sales ad, in case anyone were to be inclined to think so...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 11-30-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
Hard to believe hundreds of thousands of guitars have survived decades without humidity damage while being kept by "negligent" owners the way people talk on this forum. On the other hand plenty of babied boutique guitars with repaired cracks seem to pop up for sale all the time. Really makes you think... Sorta like a child right, if you pamper and protect them too much, then the minute they face adversity they struggle. Maybe guitars aren't meant to be kept at the same temperature and humidity constantly and actually do better with a little moving and breathing and variation.

You could listen to the suggestions to spend thousands of dollars on an Emerald (which have plenty of their own issues) or you could just buy something cheap and wood but decent on Craigslist (or AGF) and leave it on the stand and enjoy it and not worry if something happens to it (which it probably won't, because I promise that 30 year old Yamaha or whatever on Craigslist that's seemingly in decent shape for $300 hasn't been pampered during its life so is unlikely to kill itself because your house gets dry for a few months).
Not so hard to believe really. Yes, it's a percentage of guitars that get damaged this way. For the sake of argument let's say it's a very small proportion, how about just one percent? That's thousands of damaged guitars per your "hundreds of thousands" of fine guitars number. Even at one tenth of one percent you're talking at least a thousand guitars. Sure, it's a small number but if you're one of the thousand(s) with a damaged guitar you'd regret not doing simple things like humidification care to avoid the issue completely.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

In addition to the Emerald there are some non carbon fiber alternative construction instruments that also do well with humidity.

I have a BlackBird El Capitan that stays out all the time and is a fantastic instrument. It also is my go-to accoustic to take to jams with others given the extra robustness and the fact that I don't need to worry about leaving it in the car for a little while.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-30-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:49 AM

I hang all my instruments on the wall. Vintage fiddles, mandos, my budget stuff, custom stuff, higher end and not so high end. I do my best to maintain 70 F and 40 - 50% RH. They only go in the cases when they travel. I've been doing this for about 10 years.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:47 AM

I'd recommend carbon fiber also except you may like the carbon fiber acoustic too much and sell all your wood acoustics.
That's what happened to me.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion