The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2021, 11:22 PM

Default Mesa Rosette one:ten vs Fishman Loudbox artist for full band use...

I found a used Boss Katana dirt dirt cheap to use the acoustic sim for what was going to be a one off acoustic gig...for the price it served its purpose. Fortunately the one off experiment has turned into 5 more booked gigs and looks like something we're going to develop and charge ahead with.

That said its clear to my ears I now need an actual dedicated acoustic amp, one that will work in the context of a full band (both guitars acoustic, no keys). I can get a used Mesa Rosette 1x10 from a friend for not much more than the price of a new Fishman Loudbox Artist.

Anyone played either of those with a full band (drums, bass, another acoustic guitar, singer) ??

Also torn by the prospect of a good preamp ala LR Baggs Venue, Fishman Tonedeq, Mesa Rosette pre, Tech21 FlyRig into a powered speaker QSC or Yamaha type or maybe a Headrush 1x8 thats been offered cheap, whether that's a smarter choice...

Thanks in advance, I super searched this forum for some help before posting this but really all I found seemed to be directed to solo / duo folks. All suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Never played with a drummer but my Rosette 2x8 had no problems with another guitar, bass, and two singers. The other guitarist is seriously considering replacing his loud box with a Mesa
Old 11-23-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Never played with a drummer but my Rosette 2x8 had no problems with another guitar, bass, and two singers. The other guitarist is seriously considering replacing his loud box with a Mesa
Good info, thank you!
Old 11-23-2021, 11:41 AM

I guess for me it would depend if I知 gonna be the mixer/pa guy in the band or not.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I guess for me it would depend if I知 gonna be the mixer/pa guy in the band or not.
Meaning running sound, or plugging straight in? Unless the house sound guy has us go direct I値l always use a stand alone system of some type. Even then I will want some back fill of some sort.

The other guitar player is using his Taylor GS mini into a Fender Supersonic 22 clean channel. This is his normal rig he uses with a pedal board in our rock band...I tried mine acoustic into my electric rig but I知 not getting the same results as he is. I知 going for a dedicated acoustic rig.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:24 PM

how hard a hitter is your drummer?

if he's moderate, should be ok

if he's an animal, rots a ruck wit dat..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-23-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
how hard a hitter is your drummer?

if he's moderate, should be ok

if he's an animal, rots a ruck wit dat..

Hahaha he's learning to be mellow, we've got him playing with brushes and stuff. We have a different full time rock band too that he's able to pound skins, he's discovering he can do both, but there were a couple times where we had to look back and give him the "lighten up buddy" look
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 PM

Brushes are good.
Get him to use 7A drumsticks instead of 5B or 5A.
Rods instead of sticks are softer yet but they have a bit different sound.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by * velcro-fly * View Post
I found a used Boss Katana dirt dirt cheap to use the acoustic sim for what was going to be a one off acoustic gig...for the price it served its purpose. Fortunately the one off experiment has turned into 5 more booked gigs and looks like something we're going to develop and charge ahead with.

That said its clear to my ears I now need an actual dedicated acoustic amp, one that will work in the context of a full band (both guitars acoustic, no keys). I can get a used Mesa Rosette 1x10 from a friend for not much more than the price of a new Fishman Loudbox Artist.

Anyone played either of those with a full band (drums, bass, another acoustic guitar, singer) ??

Also torn by the prospect of a good preamp ala LR Baggs Venue, Fishman Tonedeq, Mesa Rosette pre, Tech21 FlyRig into a powered speaker QSC or Yamaha type or maybe a Headrush 1x8 thats been offered cheap, whether that's a smarter choice...

Thanks in advance, I super searched this forum for some help before posting this but really all I found seemed to be directed to solo / duo folks. All suggestions and advice is appreciated.
I致e used both of these amps with 2 loud bands (drums, bass and 2 electric guitars). Both amps did the job, but the Mesa had more power to spare and a better tone IMO.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 11-26-2021, 10:35 AM

I'm a huge fan of the versatility of either:

Mixer (e.g., Yamaha MG series) >> QSC K8 v2 or CP8

-or-

Preamp (e.g., LR Baggs Venue >> QSC K8 v2 or CP8

I use both of these setups constantly with great success for singer/songwriter gigs. If you go with the mixer, you have channels to spare for duos.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I'm a huge fan of the versatility of either:

Mixer (e.g., Yamaha MG series) >> QSC K8 v2 or CP8

-or-

Preamp (e.g., LR Baggs Venue >> QSC K8 v2 or CP8

I use both of these setups constantly with great success for singer/songwriter gigs. If you go with the mixer, you have channels to spare for duos.
Cool, appreciate the info. I ran across a few good deals on some used stuff that I went for: Yamaha DBR10 powered speaker > Mesa Rosette DI preamp > Trace Elliot Transit A DI preamp. I'll give the preamps a workout and see what sounds / works best for my situation. I do also have a Yamaha EMX2 small mixer and a pair of Yamaha CBR10's that I'm going to fire up and see how that sounds. Its not as compact as the mixer you suggested though but on its own would be enough to power entire band w mics for small rooms, but it lacks any real monitor capabilities.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, eh?
Old 11-26-2021, 12:08 PM

If it were me, I'd get something smallish I could angle up at me to use as a monitor and just run the line out of the amp into the mixer/mains. That's how I did it on the few acoustic numbers we used to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification