The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Touring, John! McPherson makes fine guitars, and that Touring is a fun size! Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had the great good fortune to play Tony’s Sable and Touring guitars. They are both superb instruments, but I’d have to agree with him that the Touring punches way above its weight.

I’ve had a brief acquaintance with a Cargo, which impressed me also, but it seemed heavy for its size, and, particularly, neck heavy. The Touring, as I recall it, is very well balanced indeed.

The only aspect I’ll disagree with Tony on is the sound. The Touring sounds like a really fine guitar. I don’t know what wood sounds like, any more than I know what carbon fiber sounds like, but I do know what good guitars sound like
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the kind words....I am enjoying it. I had no idea it was Kramsters, where is that guy anyway? I guess it made it's way back home to Arizona.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:35 AM

Oh...here I am. Still an hour or so from you.....You done good getting the Touring! One fine critter
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Excellent guitar really. A local shop has both the Touring and the Sable in stock and I can't believe I've been lucky enough to play both. I didn't think I would like the short scale of the Touring but when playing it I'm surprised at how much it didn't bother me.

Great to see a post from you Kramster
Old 11-26-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Oh...here I am. Still an hour or so from you.....You done good getting the Touring! One fine critter
By Gum boy, sure been awhile since we heard from you. You sure have been Pokey in your posting
Old 11-26-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

If the Touring had been around when this movie was made, it would have fit right in!

Tony
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
By Gum boy, sure been awhile since we heard from you. You sure have been Pokey in your posting
have my 2 Canadian supplied characters sitting in my living room .. not causing any trouble at the moment.. though I live near some blockheads ..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I just saw, in the General forum, this video comparing several travel guitars, including the Touring. The Touring was the only CF guitar and, I thought, sounded the best of the bunch. The Touring didn't sound small.

Anyway, nice choice, and congrats on your new McPherson!
Old 12-04-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I just saw, in the General forum, this video comparing several travel guitars, including the Touring. The Touring was the only CF guitar and, I thought, sounded the best of the bunch. The Touring didn't sound small.

Anyway, nice choice, and congrats on your new McPherson!
I listened to that with a set of Airpod Pro earbuds. Each of those guitars sounded decent, but I thought the Touring and GSmini were very close at at the top of my selection. I had a GSmini when they first came out, and I was impressed with "sound for the size"... That guitar traveled with us by boat and RV for years until I discovered how good carbon fiber sounds. Once getting my (previous generation) X7, the GSmini got relegated to Nashville tuning and then finally rehomed.

I have played a couple of Touring models... might be fun to have a more extensive "play off" with the Touring and the X7.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:26 PM

I agree with Mike and Brendan's assessment in the video. The most versatile of the pack is the Touring but the best sounding to my ears was the Lowden. It just sounded more complex and interesting. However, is the Wee $2500 more tone than the Touring? Not in my opinion, and that is a lot of money to spend on looks.

And goodness, at the cost of the SCGC Firefly you could buy the Lowden and the Larivee, or 11 GS Minis...

Or a Touring, a Sable and have change left over
Old 12-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

To me, a big part of a travel guitar is its ability to withstand adverse environmental conditions of various kinds (i.e. possibly rapid changes in humidity, being bumped and/or dropped, having other stuff stuffed on top of it, etc.). To me, that would be as important as size.

If I had an expensive guitar such as a Lowden Wee, I would never want to travel with it. Conversely, the Touring, while also expensive, will not be affected by the various environmental conditions that can occur while travelling. It was made for this kind of thing without sacrificing tone.

For me, the Touring is becoming my favorite acoustic guitar, especially after deepening the nut slots and taking a bit off the bottom of the saddle. It is so comfortable to play and it really does sound good.

Tony
Old 12-04-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
To me, a big part of a travel guitar is its ability to withstand adverse environmental conditions of various kinds (i.e. possibly rapid changes in humidity, being bumped and/or dropped, having other stuff stuffed on top of it, etc.). To me, that would be as important as size.

If I had an expensive guitar such as a Lowden Wee, I would never want to travel with it. Conversely, the Touring, while also expensive, will not be affected by the various environmental conditions that can occur while travelling. It was made for this kind of thing without sacrificing tone.

Tony
Yes. Well said!
Old 12-04-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, what Tony said is right on, we travel, sometimes with a camper, sometimes just to a cabin or whatever. I've taken less expensive wood guitars, but I worry about them and have to be careful where they are left (temp) or if the dog is laying on it in the back seat, etc. The Touring, or any CF really lets me be worry free and enjoy the trip more. Maybe I need a shrink, LOL cause I do worry too much at times I think. I love my guitars and want to keep them as nice as possible and still enjoy them. Even the used prices these days are up there, but it should be a lifer.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:07 PM

Default Correct Link for Review

Here's the correct link for the American Songwriter review of the McPherson Touring: https://americansongwriter.com/mcphe...guitar-review/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber