The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2021, 01:34 PM

That last listing would be extra hard to search for because there's a dash in "D-TAR" and a dash in "Wave-length". One little errant character can make an item harder to find. I just tried Bluestarmusic because I've bought numerous pickups from him. First class seller. I saw the second listing in the "similar items" category.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
That last listing would be extra hard to search for because there's a dash in "D-TAR" and a dash in "Wave-length". One little errant character can make an item harder to find. I just tried Bluestarmusic because I've bought numerous pickups from him. First class seller. I saw the second listing in the "similar items" category.
Sure do appreciate your doing the searching for me! You guys never fail to deliver.

I went ahead and ordered from Duncan on the 16th, but no word from them yet about a ship date.

The owner and luthier of Jasper Guitars, Tony Louscher, was intrigued enough to order the one from Bluestar to try it as an option in the Elmore, so he'll install whichever one gets here first.

Hopefully, it will get me in the same ballpark as my RS6 which has been my go to since 2004.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and help!
Old 11-20-2021, 02:07 AM

RGB,

Glad to be of assistance. Please let us know how the substitution works out for you.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
RGB,

Glad to be of assistance. Please let us know how the substitution works out for you.
Will do, my friend!
Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM

Just a quick update to let you guys know that I received the Wavelength in just a few days from Seymour Duncan, so feel free to order from those guys if you were wondering.

Haven't done the install yet as my wife and I both came down with Covid and I have to wait until this passes to get the guitar into Tony's shop.

Will report back when I have the install done.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
Just a quick update to let you guys know that I received the Wavelength in just a few days from Seymour Duncan, so feel free to order from those guys if you were wondering.

Haven't done the install yet as my wife and I both came down with Covid and I have to wait until this passes to get the guitar into Tony's shop.

Will report back when I have the install done.
I actually found one for $100 "used", but it had never been installed. I put it into my Taylor about a month ago. I haven't extensively tested it, but it does have a nice, warm sound. I am not sure if I buy into people saying it's rounder sounding than other UST's or that it eliminates quack, but it's still my favourite UST. I just find that the Element has a distinct tone and that still comes through.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:55 PM

In my experience, the Wavelength seems to have a zippier response than most other USTs. By that, I mean it responds better to dynamic changes and hard strumming especially. I wouldn't necessarily say its less quacky than any other UST (David Enke's USTs at Open to Source Sensors are the least quacky to my ears.) but its very responsive to the touch.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:30 PM

RGB,

I hope your friend Tony also got the Wavelength system from Bluestar in a timely fashion. Glad to hear that you got a quick response from Seymor Duncan.

Wishing you a quick recovery and lots of fun with your soon-to-be altered hybrid guitar.

I owned an RS6 for a few years and often got into feedback trouble when trying to model big acoustic guitars with Rick Turner's Mama Bear digital box. I believe that the RS6's long sustain contributed to that problem. It may also be contributing to your Anthem SL mic problem with your RS6 clone. In any event, I never had feedback problems with using the RS6 without digital box. I loved the feel of that guitar and the amplified strumming sound. I would probably still have it if I'd known how to EQ it for fingerpicking with bare finger pads. Believe it or not, I quite enjoyed the quiet but pretty sound it had when playing it fingerstyle unplugged.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:54 AM

Yeah, I also had feedback issues with the Mama Bear. I always wondered if maybe I had gotten a dud because it didn't really live up to DTAR's claims for me. Still have an Equinox though!

I think if I had control over the crossover point with the Anthem SL that I could have made it work quite well for me, but an IR loader with Holy Grail's Macpherson IRs and a full range UST just work better for me with less feedback and overtone issues.

I'll bet you're right about the increased sustain of these hybrids being part of the problem.

Thanks for the well wishes...feeling better every day.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:57 PM

Finally got the Wavelength installed in an Elmore. Tony and his guys built me a new one with the system installed and were, quote; "more than blown away"! They are actually going to build them this way in the future as an option over the Anthem SL.

Pretty blown away myself...the system sounds great in there. No IRs needed. Had to dial the trim pots all the way back since the high end was pretty pronounced and there is plenty of low end as well, but it sounds very natural with the highs rolled off. Somewhat similar to my RS6, but more HI FI sounding. Didn't have them bother with a volume or tone control since I use my pedal board for those duties.

Very happy with the results!
Old 12-31-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB View Post
Finally got the Wavelength installed in an Elmore. Tony and his guys built me a new one with the system installed and were, quote; "more than blown away"! They are actually going to build them this way in the future as an option over the Anthem SL.

Pretty blown away myself...the system sounds great in there. No IRs needed. Had to dial the trim pots all the way back since the high end was pretty pronounced and there is plenty of low end as well, but it sounds very natural with the highs rolled off. Somewhat similar to my RS6, but more HI FI sounding. Didn't have them bother with a volume or tone control since I use my pedal board for those duties.

Very happy with the results!
Thanks for following up. It's great to learn that the Wavelength is working well for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification