The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2021, 03:48 PM

Default help needed!

i messed up my p bass pick up trying to replace a tone control- what happened was a wire from one of split pick ups popped off, and i have no idea how to fix it, so i decided to just a buy whole set used- found this on ebay, its what i want- all pre wired, but i dont understand what that loose red and black wires would be for! TIA- john https://www.ebay.com/itm/15468330180...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-14-2021, 07:51 AM

No idea.
I would expect a wire to ground the bridge with. And if that, I would expect it to be black.
A red and black coming from pickup with the controls and jack already wired together? I thought maybe for a battery box but nothing suggests this is an active pickup in the eBay listing.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

That set linked from eBay isn't fully pre-wired. You need to connect the pickup to the pots.

It's going to look sort of like this:
https://guitarelectronics.com/p-bass...iring-diagram/

I also have this document I could email you, but may only apply to a 70's PB like mine.
Fender (official) 70s Precision Bass Service Diagram 013-2010A_SISD.pdf
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 11-14-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
That set linked from eBay isn't fully pre-wired. You need to connect the pickup to the pots.
Oooh! Good eye, kkrell!

I was using a tablet to view the photo. Now on my desk top with the big monitor and your suggestion in mind and that's exactly my conclusion, as well. This set isn't fully wired and that's the pickup wires to the controls that dangling out to the side.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i messed up my p bass pick up trying to replace a tone control- what happened was a wire from one of split pick ups popped off, and i have no idea how to fix it, ...
Do you care to post a photo of the wire break? Just wondering if a tech could easily fix it for you.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:59 PM

thx all- the guy explained something about having to cut the wires to remove them from p bass because of a channel- i dont understand, but he said if i bought it, he'd solder it up for me so all i have do to is drop it in, so i bought it for $16 shipped being i need the whole set up now, hopefully thats all i have to do
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-15-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
thx all- the guy explained something about having to cut the wires to remove them from p bass because of a channel- i dont understand, but he said if i bought it, he'd solder it up for me so all i have do to is drop it in, so i bought it for $16 shipped being i need the whole set up now, hopefully thats all i have to do
He should have just de-soldered the wires from the pots. The channel he's talking about is probably the routing from the pickup to the the pot cavity. The good news is that you know how to connect those wires now.

Note that different manufacturers use different color coded wiring schemes. I wasn't able to find one for Washburn but here's an image from Seymour Duncan that shows different wiring colors just to show that any color can be used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars