The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So this got my attention. I play finger style so now I'm wondering if this is a general characteristic of Emeralds. I'm not doubting sumokids comparison to Rainsongs, but how would you X20 (or X7) owners rate the responsiveness of your Emerald to your other (even wood) guitars when fingerpicking?
I really don’t know how to quantify that. I find neither of my X20s in any way deficient compared to my Martin 0-16NY. They each have their own unique (and delightful) voice.

Examples here - you be the judge!

https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-17-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks David. Beautiful tunes. Impressive that those were recorded with an iPhone.

Yes, the Emeralds seemed quite nice. Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I really don’t know how to quantify that. I find neither of my X20s in any way deficient compared to my Martin 0-16NY. They each have their own unique (and delightful) voice.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
Sure — The 5 for 6 Rainsongs I’ve played over the years (all OMs and parlors) have all been much more responsive to a light touch than my two Emeralds. So even with Emerald’s sound hole design (which I love, by the way) the Rainsongs have all been louder to the player when played with bare fingers. I have to work harder to get the Emeralds to come out and play whereas Rainsongs seem raring to go. But as mentioned in my previous post, once you throw a pick into the mix the Emeralds come alive and have plenty of volume and presence. It just takes more to get them to their sweet spot.

Of course, this is my experience only, working with a small sample size, so others may have a different tale to tell.
Interesting and thank you. I play mostly fingerstyle but have recently began to use fingerpicks. It does increase projection from my picking hand and It makes me like my OF660 even more (the compressed sound was one of my initial beefs with it). However, I do find myself wishing for just a bit larger of a guitar for that big sound. I would likely be very happy with an X20 as the neck specs are very close to the OF660 just longer scale by an inch.

RainSong makes great guitars but I'm not a fan of the neck on the short scale guitars- been there done that.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Interesting and thank you. I play mostly fingerstyle but have recently began to use fingerpicks. It does increase projection from my picking hand and It makes me like my OF660 even more (the compressed sound was one of my initial beefs with it). However, I do find myself wishing for just a bit larger of a guitar for that big sound. I would likely be very happy with an X20 as the neck specs are very close to the OF660 just longer scale by an inch.

RainSong makes great guitars but I'm not a fan of the neck on the short scale guitars- been there done that.
You're welcome. I've never played with fingerpicks but I would guess they would make an X20 really sing.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post

Very nice. I appreciate what you fingerstyle players get out of a guitar; certainly different from what an old rock 'n roller does with a pick.

Listening to each of those videos, the X20s and your Martin all sound good. Delightful, indeed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber