The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 PM

I have had a Princeton reverb that I had modded with a line our for longer than I remember. Nice sounding amp. I also use a Dual Bass 400 with 2 x 10 for louder situations.
I know the 400 is a bass amp, but it works good as a guitar amp.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If one is to take John Hiatt at his word it would be a Vibrolux:

"Sure I like country music
I like mandolins
But right now I need a Telecaster
Through a Vibrolux turned up to ten..."

(Lyrics snip from "Memphis In The Meantime" )
There are also a number of lovely “boutique” Fender based amps. I have the Allen Encore, which is more or less his take on the Vibroverb. Goes from blackface into at least brown territory through the use of a control (“raw”) that removes the tonestack from the preamp. But, he makes models based on many of the classic Fenders, and they cost just a little more than Fenders do—less than some of the “handwired” Fender reissues. I built mine as a kit. It is jaw droppingly quiet, works with both 6V6 and 6L6 tubes, has the bias style tremelo from the Vibrolux era, and a master volume. A smaller Allen, like the Sweet Spot or Chihuahua would be investigating.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:04 PM

Ok ; now I understand what these Tonemasters are. I rarely play in band situations anymore,but when I do ; well you gotta be able to cut thru.Didn't know these were solid state.Is there a Princeton model of these things too?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Ok ; now I understand what these Tonemasters are. I rarely play in band situations anymore,but when I do ; well you gotta be able to cut thru.Didn't know these were solid state.Is there a Princeton model of these things too?
I did a search but didn't see a Princeton Tonemaster.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I did a search but didn't see a Princeton Tonemaster.
Hang in there - I suspect the ToneMaster lineup is going to become more comprehensive as the target demographic (that's us, guys) gets older, and a 15-pound Princeton would be a big seller...
Old 11-20-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Hang in there - I suspect the ToneMaster lineup is going to become more comprehensive as the target demographic (that's us, guys) gets older, and a 15-pound Princeton would be a big seller...
I agree Steve. I also think it depends on the success of the ToneMaster series, which based on what I've been hearing, is very positive.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 PM

Well of course Fender makes Princeton amps in tube versions and while I wouldn't object to a super light weight Tonemaster version, they aren't arm stretchers and back breakers in tube formats.

Another Fender amp, recently discontinued is worth considering if one is after a smaller, lighter-weight, and modeling but usable by those who hate the idea of modeling amps with too-many troubling options: the Fender Super-Champ. They made two generations and the later series also had a head only option. I have the first generation 10" speaker combo. There's a simple Champ like channel one which has minimal knobs, and a "modeling" channel which sets the model by turning a knob. Effects, including reverb, are digital, but they are set using a regular knob too. There's not even an LCD screen.* On the second channel you can adjust gain even at lower volumes, though a 10" open-back combo isn't going to replace some high gain speaker cab sounds. Not a loud amp, not a loud clean amp. I had trouble keeping up with a drummer with no PA support with it. But for home use it's light, gives some flexibility in sounds with a simple "turn the knob 'till you like it" interface. I think the modeled Fender sounds are pretty pleasing, and I'd guess reasonably realistic. It uses an actual tube power section, so a little more tube amp feel than some modelers.

Good amount of them out there used if one is interested, and there might even be a odd lot out there NOS in stores.

*The second series offered computer control via the "Fender Fuse" software that Fender has dropped and no longer supports. I'd guess it offered finer control of parameters than the knobs alone, but I'd hope/expect that the "just turn an amp knob" interface continues to be all that's really needed to enjoy the amp. Now I know there are some who are going to hear "modeling" and never consider this amp from that point, but really easier to use than a classic Mesa Boogie like setup in the purely analog world.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-20-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

I play at home most of the time with my electrics, and I love the Blues JR. It can crank bigly, and when it’s at a home type volume, I still get a nice clean sound. It also takes pedals well.

Then again... that VibroChamp looks tastyyyyy

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 11-20-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:15 AM

My favorite amp with a Tele is the 5E3 tweed Deluxe from the 1950s. Roughly 12W, fairly lightweight, and a basic set of controls that produce a good range of very usable sounds. They tend to sound best when turned up a little and the volume level comes up fast. They're a popular amp to clone and it's not hard to find a decent one on Reverb.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars