The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-13-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
well I'm sure 8 posts on gearspace is being derided to eternity for a used reverb add , and maybe shure doesn't make matched pairs. Actually I see no proof they do or don't. But if someone is doubtful....and poor, then they can choose a matched pair of behringer c-2's for $50 for the pair. Most reviewers can't tell the difference. Of course there's always the possibility that sweetwater is lying as well.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...crophones-pair
I bought a pair of the C-2 mics just to see how good (or bad...) they were at that price. Other than some rough edges in the quality of manufacturing they actually sound quite good. Not to fault ahe Sm-57's, but any sdc is going to sound much better than your garden variety dynamic for recording acoustic guitar.
I'd doubt if there were very many listeners who had even a small amount of critical listening skills that couldn't tell the difference between a SM-57 and even a generic SDC.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

While a portable recorder might be an excellent option, let me respectfully point out that if you use it to capture audio on a SD card then transfer to your laptop, you are essentially buying a mediocre condenser microphone. Why not use the same cash to buy a little better quality mic and headphones and use them with your laptop or tablet?

Agree, the somewhat increased complexity (also capability) may be a buzz kill, but that depends on what gives you a buzz! Plus, most consumer DAWs can be run as simply as a zoom recorder, with the ability to edit/mix etc later, after you buzz simmers.

Guess my alternate opinion is if youre on a limited budget, why duplicate the capability you already own, when that budget can be applied to enhancing your recording above the most basic audio capture? Within your budget, there are lots of decent interface/mic/headphone bundles, most throw in a decent DAW program or even a mic stand and cables.

Having said all that, I do use a portable recorder (dp-008 tascam) when on the run, but prefer good ol’ Garage Band when at home.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-16-2021, 08:46 PM

and there's another really simple daw...that has much better quality than gb and fantastic instruments. But it's windows. Mixcraft is a big improvement over garageband. Much higher specs. And it runs even on windows 7, and if you don't have too many tracks, on 2 core processors...like gb. Sadly for most it costs a small sum to purchase. but then again most people have a old windows machine lying around as a paperweight. As a former AA.... apple addict....sometimes there's better alternative on windows.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That sounds like a fun read. I just tried to find the thread with no luck. Can you find it again easily? If not, don't sweat it.
It may have been an old thread about someone selling SM 57 "matched" pair and a similar worded add if not that add specifically (my memory is not what it used to be)

And then the other side of the coin is with todays Mfg. tolerance capabilities it may not matter much

ButI think the point is the word "Matched" in an add is assumed to mean they were tested and matched specifically at the factory and in point of fact you are correct Shure does not do that for the SM57 series..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-17-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
well I'm sure 8 posts on gearspace is being derided to eternity for a used reverb add , and maybe shure doesn't make matched pairs. Actually I see no proof they do or don't. But if someone is doubtful....and poor, then they can choose a matched pair of behringer c-2's for $50 for the pair. Most reviewers can't tell the difference. Of course there's always the possibility that sweetwater is lying as well.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...crophones-pair
Humm not clear what the level sarcasm on a GS thread has to do with it,, other than the fact the wording is deceptive ,,, given Shure has not, and does not, sell factory "matched" pairs of 57's, which apparently you were not aware of and is fine, now you know (and I assume that is why Jim questioned your original statement) . But the deceptive phrase "Matched pair of SM 57's " used by someone placing an add, IMO deserves some sarcasm .....

Now as I said with the Mfg capabilities today its fairly likely any two mics, in any major production, run will be as close in Frq. response as the factory "matched" pairs of yesteryear...

Also if Behringer is claiming they sell "factory matched" pairs of c-2 then no Sweetwater is not "possibly lying" .....Behringer might be, or perhaps just be during a cursory test for closeness ,,, who knows ? However we can note, Sweewater is not advertising any "matched" pairs of 57's

But none of that, is anywhere near as important for the OP as the fact that ,,,while the SM 57 is a good mic with many uses,,,,, it has a bit of a limited frequency response for reproducing an acoustic guitar and there may be better choices in the $100 per mic range, which it the real crux of the matter

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-17-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm not clear what the level sarcasm on a GS thread has to do with it,, other than the fact the wording is deceptive ,,, given Shure has not, and does not, sell factory "matched" pairs of 57's, which apparently you were not aware of and is fine, now you know (and I assume that is why Jim questioned your original statement) . But the deceptive phrase "Matched pair of SM 57's " used by someone placing an add, IMO deserves some sarcasm .....

Now as I said with the Mfg capabilities today its fairly likely any two mics, in any major production, run will be as close in Frq. response as the factory "matched" pairs of yesteryear...

Also if Behringer is claiming they sell "factory matched" pairs of c-2 then no Sweetwater is not "possibly lying" .....Behringer might be, or perhaps just be during a cursory test for closeness ,,, who knows ? However we can note, Sweewater is not advertising any "matched" pairs of 57's

But none of that, is anywhere near as important for the OP as the fact that ,,,while the SM 57 is a good mic with many uses,,,,, it has a bit of a limited frequency response for reproducing an acoustic guitar and there may be better choices in the $100 per mic range, which it the real crux of the matter
Kev...what mics would you recommend in the under $200 dollar range ? I think most people have a decent comp....and most can get a free or cheap daw....so the mics are about the most important element, along with a $100 interface
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 11-18-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I don't have specific recommendation because I have not personally used any mics in that price range.
Although I do own a 57 and have used it for things like mic'ing electric guitar cab, and some percussion instruments like Sticks , Djembe and Bongo's ...

BUT there a number of choices of SDC mic's in the $100 per mic range, some less money , some slightly more, and most SDC's are going to have more frequency response range and more sensitivity (but will of course require Phantom power)
Of course you could mic an acoustic with a 57 if you already have one and see how you like it But me personally I would not go out an by a pair of 57's for that purpose and would look more towards the various SDC offerings

Since I think Sound on Sound does pretty good objective and accurate reviews I would look seriously at Rode's M5 pair right at $200 https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-m5

This page should load with the Price selection set Low to High (if not you can set it to that
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...cs&sb=low2high

here are the Rode mics from that Sweetwater page
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...er-microphones

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-18-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:51 AM

As far as mics under $200, I think the most obvious choice is Oktava 012. Sounds good on anything, but very good on acoustic guitar. I have some much more expensive mics than the oktava, but I’m keeping them.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 11-19-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
As far as mics under $200, I think the most obvious choice is Oktava 012. Sounds good on anything, but very good on acoustic guitar. I have some much more expensive mics than the oktava, but I’m keeping them.
Those are certainly popular mics in their price range
Except we are talking about mics at $200 a pair, not per mic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD