The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-22-2021, 09:23 AM

My advice on plugins is to pick up a few sparingly as needed over time (and on sale). For bigger projects with more tracks I gravitate to the native Logic Pro plugins, because the use less overhead. When I want a really good EQ I might use the Pro-Q 3 over the stock logic one. I might use some of the UAD compressors for specific things (my interface is an Apollo). I have some UAD channel strips too, but I don't use them a ton. I have use the Isotope RX8 Elements on occasion with success... I didn't like the Nectar or Ozone as much. Sometimes I use the UAD Little labs phase alignment tool when I use non-standard mic techniques. Although I don't play a lot of electric guitar and bass, the UAD amp sims for those have been awesome when I do.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-06-2021, 07:26 AM

I have a ton of plugins. Some of them are specialty tools for specific situations. But my basic go to plugs are:

Saturation
McDSP Analog Channel
Black Box HG-MS

Channel Strip
Lindell 50 (API style) - I’m particularly fond of the 550 style EQs & I love the 525 FET compressor on voice.

EQs
SPL Passeq in on all my bus returns. It’s super musical & even just flat it adds some nice color to the sound. It’s a passive EQ like the Pultec, but cleaner with more frequency options.

McDSP FilterBank gets used when I need something more surgical than the 550 EQ

Maag EQ4 is my vocal bus secret weapon.

McDSP AE600 is an active EQ I use when I need to solve problems.

Compressors
IMO you need a few good compressors.

I love the Plugin Alliance Purple Audio MC77. It’s great on drums & guitars.

The SPL Iron is phenomenal sounding, and very versatile. It can be so gentle or really aggressive.

Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A gets a lot of use on vocal buses.

McDSP CompressorBank is a killer all around great compressor with unique controls.

A couple multiband compressors are good to have around, I like:

McDSP 6034
McDSP MC400

For reverbs I basically use 2, both LiquidSonics. The Seventh Heaven Pro & Cinematic Rooms.

You need a good limiter too, I use the McDSP ML4000 (buses) & the Nugen ISL limiter (master).

And my utility infielder is the McDSP 6060. Basically a digital 500 series rack with 6 slots & tons of processors to choose from.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 PM

Im a big fan of the Steven Slate Everything bundle, metric halo plugins are nice as well. A lot of people also like the UA.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I have a ton of plugins. Some of them are specialty tools for specific situations. But my basic go to plugs are:

Saturation
McDSP Analog Channel
Black Box HG-MS

For reverbs I basically use 2, both LiquidSonics. The Seventh Heaven Pro & Cinematic Rooms.
This has been a valuable thread for myself...
I am a hardware tracking person. That is just what works best for me to hear it up front. I've got a very nice hardware compressor.
However, somethings are just beyond my reach monetarily. Reverbs...completely out of my budget...
So thanks to all of the recommendations of so many, I will be purchasing Cinematic Rooms as soon as the Black Friday Sale begins.
Now I would like to turn my focus to Saturation plug ins. I listened to Duplemeter's recommendation of McDSP Analog Channel and I really liked it.
Can you tell me what is the difference between McDSP Analog Channel & other tape emulating plug ins?
This is a very interesting piece of hardware used for mastering. I think this sounds pretty glorious. They claim that it effect is gentle..but to me it seems to make a defining difference. There are adding 2nd order harmonics & more.
So are there any other recommendations for plugs ins that achieve close to this quality? And or does the McDSP Analog Channel basically achieve this?
One of the big Questions brought forth is are we just hearing a volume change and it is fooling us?
This Unit claims that we are not hearing a volume change. It just sound so pristine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0XueYJ8umg
Old 11-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
However, somethings are just beyond my reach monetarily. Reverbs...completely out of my budget...
Consider Waves IR-1. Practically giving it away currently. I use it quite a bit.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Do folks still use the TC Electronics VSS3 Reverb? I remember a year or two ago it used to come up here alot. Has it been replaced by the Liquidsonics or other cooler plugins? It looks like the VSS3 is on sale for $100, i was thinking about picking it up.

So many plugins on sale for Black Friday its hard not to go hog wild and drop a bunch of cash on stuff. I was looking at getting the Fab Filter Limiter. I already have their mix bundle, so with the discount they give for that plus Black Friday the Limiter would be like $111 or something. But already use the Izotope Maximizer, which seems to do what I want quick and easy. But surely something else might be cooler or better...
Old 11-26-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Do folks still use the TC Electronics VSS3 Reverb? I remember a year or two ago it used to come up here alot. Has it been replaced by the Liquidsonics or other cooler plugins? It looks like the VSS3 is on sale for $100, i was thinking about picking it up.

So many plugins on sale for Black Friday its hard not to go hog wild and drop a bunch of cash on stuff. I was looking at getting the Fab Filter Limiter. I already have their mix bundle, so with the discount they give for that plus Black Friday the Limiter would be like $111 or something. But already use the Izotope Maximizer, which seems to do what I want quick and easy. But surely something else might be cooler or better...
I've never heard of it before nor do I know anyone who has used it. To me, that screams better choices are available.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post

I have used the VSS3 for a long time, tho less so recently. I had the original hardware-supported version, which I lost when TC stopped doing hardware, and I upgraded my computer some years ago. I also used the hardware rack Reverb 4000 for a long time, which had all the VSS3 algorithms. Great hardware reverb. The TC 6000 system, very pricey, also contains the VSS3 algorithms, I think. Probably the reason few people know about this plugin is the original tie to TC's hardware platform.

Now they have the native plugin. It's a very nice transparent reverb. Many of the patches seem to be aimed more at film and realistic spaces, and TC says it's about "convincing room types". You have things like car front seat vs car back seat, hotel lobby, public restroom, and so on. But there are also many church/hall, etc algorithms that are all very nice. These days I tend to use the Bricasti for the "reverb that is so transparent you don't know you're using reverb" situations (and I do not find that the 7th Heaven plugin is equivalent in spite of what they claim), but the VSS3 is great for that as well. I sometimes still use it for those cases where I want to add some ambience without it being too in-your-face.

Overall nice plugin. But of course there are so many reverbs...

Last edited by Doug Young; 11-26-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys, i guess I’ll probably pass on it then. I generally use the Fab Filter reverb, but as you say, one can never have to many reverbs
Old 11-27-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Consider Waves IR-1. Practically giving it away currently. I use it quite a bit.
Derek, I have to thank you for this. I've had that one on my computer for a while now (maybe a few black fridays ago?) and never got around to trying it. I really like it! It's not as dense and warm as most of my other reverbs, which is great for certain things, especially in a dense mix. Thanks for posting that!
Old 11-27-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Derek, I have to thank you for this. I've had that one on my computer for a while now (maybe a few black fridays ago?) and never got around to trying it. I really like it! It's not as dense and warm as most of my other reverbs, which is great for certain things, especially in a dense mix. Thanks for posting that!
Your welcome. A lot depends on the impulse response you are using. Especially with the EMT 252 IRs it is quite warm and dense.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-16-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm using an Apollo x8p for recording myself and for remote sessions for my long time gf playing squeeze.

My favorite plugins right now for tracking are the UAD Unison plugins used in Console are:

Neve 88SR Channel Strip
Neve 1084 Channel Strip
Manley VoxBox
UAD Century Tube Pre-amp
UAD 610B Tube Pre-amp
Fender '55 Deluxe

On the mixing side using Logic Pro on a brand new M1 Max MBP a few favorites are:

Fab Filter Pro Q3
Fab Filter Compressor
Fab Filter MB Compressor
Fab Filter Limiter
UAD Fairchild 660/670
UAD Capital Chambers
UAD AMS-RMS16 Expanded Reverb
UAD EMT140 Plate Reverb
Waves Abbey Road Saturater

iZotope RX9 full suite which is most often used as a standalone app rather than a plug-in, especially the Music Rebalance module which is just scary in what it can do.

Probably my two or three favorites at the moment are the 88RS Unison module for recording acoustic instruments and also being able to give just a killer tone to a Tele used as a DI, the Manley VoxBox for vocals and the Capital Chambers plugin, once I figured out that it had to be used on an Aux Bus as a send in order to use the stereo width knob.

And none of this would matter without some great mics and my current faves for what I do, which is really limited to acoustic guitar, vocals and accordion, are the two Lauten Audio LT Eden 386 large diameter tube mics I have. Beautiful to look at and even better to hear.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 01-16-2022, 09:24 PM

redundant to previous post

Last edited by runamuck; 01-16-2022 at 09:28 PM. Reason: redundant

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD