The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Hi buddy, I've switched to 25" after spending a year with my Urlacher which is a Cedar/Indian OM size. The biggest reasoning is I have a lot of songs I've composed that have 4-5 fret stretches with a barre and the shorter scale keeps the fret gaps slightly smaller and with less strings tension, they are easier to barre. I keep the action on my lowest strings a touch higher than on my 25.5" Larrivee so they don't flop much at all down to C. The neck is straight and the nut slots are just right to where there isn't that "choked" feeling at the first and second frets. That's the best way to explain the recent preference change. I still gig with my 25.5" Larrivee and its fine but I definitely prefer 25" now. Have also had talks with Will McNicol who says he has no issue playing in drop C tunings with his 24.75" scale Tom Sands Model S. There is some technique adjustment required, like not pressing so hard to where you pull the low strings sharp, and there is less forward projection than a fanfret or 25.5" scale, but it's playability benefits to me outweigh the projection benefits which aren't always necessary especially in a studio setting.
Dustin, I always wondered about the difference between 25 and 25.5 scale lengths. This is very good detail. I may be starting a build myself and have to decide between the shorter or longer scale lengths. Do you hear any difference in tone especially with recording? Thanks in advance! BTW, I love build threads! Very exciting to watch something beautiful come together. Thanks for sharing.

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop
Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Smile 25” scale.

I agree completely about the 25” scale.

I am 70 now and have small hands to boot. Plus I beat the daylights out of monster drum sets for about 30 years. And for 14 of those years it was often 36 sets per week for months at a time.

The ability to continue playing is paramount. And John Kinnaird keeps making me BIG guitars that sound fantastic tuned down to D and even drop C. Yes, it takes some restraint when digging in but the payoff is in the pudding so to speak.

Hahahaha

You are gonna LOVE this beautiful axe.

Can’t wait to hear some recordings …

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-13-2021, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
Dustin, I always wondered about the difference between 25 and 25.5 scale lengths. This is very good detail. I may be starting a build myself and have to decide between the shorter or longer scale lengths. Do you hear any difference in tone especially with recording? Thanks in advance! BTW, I love build threads! Very exciting to watch something beautiful come together. Thanks for sharing.
I think with that difference in scale length it depends more on how you prefer your guitars set up and what gauge strings you use. How much authority you have when you play makes a big difference as well.

For instance, if it strung a 24.75" scale guitar with some mediums and dropped to DADGAD then cranked the gain on my mic to where any hammer-on or natural harmonic was smoking hot it would most likely sound more like a long scale guitar. Conversely, if I strung a 25.5" scale guitar with 12-53 and played very gently with fairly low action you would probably listen and think it must be a short scale guitar. I have decided 25" scale to be best for what I do, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The ability to continue playing is paramount. And John Kinnaird keeps making me BIG guitars that sound fantastic tuned down to D and even drop C. Yes, it takes some restraint when digging in but the payoff is in the pudding so to speak.
I must agree, I had some small (but undoubtedly forewarning) left hand pain from playing often on the 25.4"-26.25" fanfret I had some time ago and it was enough to make me go "nope..." even though it had a pro setup and mostly felt good. The spreads were just more extreme and the neck wasn't full enough to reinforce.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-13-2021, 11:14 PM

Dustin I've followed a lot of your new guitar construction threads, always interesting. I'm wondering how you have the time to play all these great guitars and give them the attention they need and crave if one is to believe they have if one wills a "sole" or some type of essence.

As a fan of the Twilight Zone what might Rod Serling have to say "Tonight a tale of jealousy and murder. We take you to the repository of a master musician/guitarist. Here his collection of some of the most beautiful guitars, beauty almost beyond description, lie waiting for the next big event.

What great pleasure in listening/playing they bring to their master, yet among them lies a would be Iago. A guitar so enraged, so jealous of the others, the very thought, let alone act of playing another guitar drives him insane with rage.

As he plots our story begins.......

Last edited by BEJ; 11-14-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Dustin I've followed a lot of your new guitar construction threads, always interesting. I'm wondering how you have the time to play all these great guitar and give them the attention they need and crave if one is to believe they have if one wills a "sole" or some type of essence.

As a fan of the Twilight Zone what might Rod Serling have to say "Tonight a tale of jealousy and murder. We take you to the repository of a master musician/guitarist. Here his collection of some of the most beautiful, beauty almost beyond description, lie waiting for the next big event.

What great pleasure in listing/playing they bring to their master, yet among them lies a would be Iago. A guitar so enraged, so jealous of the others. The very thought, let alone act of playing another guitar drive him insane with rage.

As he plots our story begins.......
You've won this internet with this one

I make my income playing weddings, cafes, bars, hotels, wineries, and the occasional photoshoot. During the early day I usually have time to sit with a guitar or two. Usually spend a few days on one then case it up and another few days with another...so on. I feel very lucky, to say the least.

All this said, I've never been one to have more than 5 guitars at a time. It's just too much for my small studio. Right now I have a lower end nylon crossover from Cordoba, a Larrivee for gigs, a wonderful Cedar/Rosewood Urlacher, a Cedar/Walnut Lowden F-50c and this Beneteau and a Taran coming in the next few months. Will likely sell the Lowden soon to justify treating myself to these two coming in soon. If I ever get a nice property this rule will probably change. Dont see that happening for a long time, though.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful playing on those page one videos Dustin, I can't wait to hear this new guitar getting a run through.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Beautiful playing on those page one videos Dustin, I can't wait to hear this new guitar getting a run through.
Thanks Bill! I can't wait, too. Marc's playability is always perfect for what I do.

Loving how this is coming together. Expecting it by January now.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:11 PM

My, my, my … isn’t that looking pretty fine. Love the silking on the top, will have to take another trip to see this in person before it ships

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Nice!

Dustin, Looking very nice. Love the spalted maple rosette and the top purfling. The design is elegant and classic. The guitar looks like it could have been built today or 50 years ago. Love it!

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop
Old 11-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
My, my, my … isn’t that looking pretty fine. Love the silking on the top, will have to take another trip to see this in person before it ships
Lucky man

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
Dustin, Looking very nice. Love the spalted maple rosette and the top purfling. The design is elegant and classic. The guitar looks like it could have been built today or 50 years ago. Love it!
Thank you, man. I love how it turned out.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Been awhile since an update, Marc sent me this the other day and I'm over the moon excited! Virginia-bound next week, most likely.

As with the previous two builds with Marc, I asked him to embellish some new ideas and I couldn't be happier with the Spalted Maple accents on the golden-hued torrified Sitka. Almost looks like Cedar. Not pictured is the Ebony ryan-bevel and trim in closer detail...we will just have to wait. Can't want to hear this beautiful piece.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:52 AM

That's a great looking guitar. You're a lucky man to have this coming in hot on the heels of the Taran. Hope you are as delighted with this one.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Thank you buddy. I enjoyed your clips with the new Tirga Mhor. I'm looking at sharing a handful of videos of my build with Rory this weekend. Hope your new year is going well!

Old 01-09-2022, 08:39 PM

Happy New Year, Dustin! Looking just beautiful....I'd expect nothing less!!
Fun to see more.......should be fun!!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-10-2022, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Dustin! Can't wait to hear what this Torrified top brings to the mix

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop