The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 09:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Straight Up Strings (SUS) demo

So I bought 2 sets of the SUS 2700-L PB strings. The gauge is 0.011 0.015 0.0215 0.030 0.042 0.0525 which isn't far from a set of 12s. I put a set on the Furch, which I usually have mediums on. The strings didn't feel too light and the tone and volume was there which surprised me as I was expecting weak sounding spaghetti strings. I managed to play on them without any noticeable pulling as well. I almost trashed the 5th string though. When I brought it up to trim I trimmed a little past its post, instead of the 4th string post Fortunately I had just enough past the post to get it grip for a wind and a half/two.

Here's a quick demo, just trimmed at the front and a trim/fade at the end. No eq, flesh only finger style.

The guitar is in DADGAD with a capo on 4.

Straight Up Strings demo:

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-29-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:16 PM

I'm going on 3 weeks with a set of "Heavy" on a guitar that has pretty much been living in G6 tuning. I absolutely love them and have ordered a set in Medium and Light to see which gauge will work best for me. Your assessment on the SUS "Light" is encouraging as I'm trying my hardest to get down to the lowest tension possible for my playing.

I've come to the conclusion that any increase in tone isn't worth the drop in playability for me as I've tried about 4 sets of custom lights and I'm always shocked at how close to lights they sound while playing much nicer with my fingers.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:56 PM

Sounds really nice, Barry. Let us know how you like em as you play em more.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm going to put a set on my Avalon, which is a bigger guitar. I'll let everyone know how they sound on it.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:32 AM

Lovely playing! I'm a fan of Straight Up Strings. They had a Cyber Monday sale yesterday. Not sure if the coupon code still works but if you type in DESSERT when checking out you get 20% off your order. Except for the 6-pak.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 11-30-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So I bought 2 sets of the SUS 2700-L PB strings. The gauge is 0.011 0.015 0.0215 0.030 0.042 0.0525 which isn't far from a set of 12s. I put a set on the Furch, which I usually have mediums on. The strings didn't feel too light and the tone and volume was there which surprised me as I was expecting weak sounding spaghetti strings. I managed to play on them without any noticeable pulling as well. I almost trashed the 5th string though. When I brought it up to trim I trimmed a little past its post, instead of the 4th string post Fortunately I had just enough past the post to get it grip for a wind and a half/two.

Here's a quick demo, just trimmed at the front and a trim/fade at the end. No eq, flesh only finger style.

The guitar is in DADGAD with a capo on 4.

Straight Up Strings demo:
I compared the SUS demo to the Wild Mountain Thyme track and while both of them you sound like yourself, I thought the SUS sound was smoother, sweeter and really brought out the charm in your playing.

Your regular strings are a little more up front and sparkling but I actually prefer the SUS tone.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-30-2021, 05:17 PM

Straight Ip Strings have been my favorites for about 3 years. Hi don’t like the way my Goodall sounds with them (so I go with DR Sunbeams I’d the Goodall), but they sound great on my Collings and my Webber. Wish they had 12 string sets.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I compared the SUS demo to the Wild Mountain Thyme track and while both of them you sound like yourself, I thought the SUS sound was smoother, sweeter and really brought out the charm in your playing.

Your regular strings are a little more up front and sparkling but I actually prefer the SUS tone.
Thanks Brent!

The strings used for Wild Mountain are Martin Marquis Silk and Steels btw, but tuned low (Bb F C F A C). That's an interesting comparison though. Both strings are easier on the fingers.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Brent!

The strings used for Wild Mountain are Martin Marquis Silk and Steels btw, but tuned low (Bb F C F A C). That's an interesting comparison though. Both strings are easier on the fingers.
Beautiful playing on Wild Mountain! I'm shocked you are able to get silk and steels down that low without buzz and floppiness. I also like the tone of the SUS better too. For me they give a dry guitar more overtones and every note sings more harmoniously with adjacent strings. Excellent for fingerstyle- now I just need to narrow down the gauge. I also like Santa Cruz Parabolics so liking SUS makes sense.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:17 AM

Beautiful playing!
I had a set of SUS (heavy) lying around in the string drawer and this thread inspired my to try them on my Collings D1ATS. First impression: thumbs up. Sweet, musical and comfortable. Less squeaky than the Santa Cruz parabolics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion