The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Default MiniFlex Model 7 - Anyone Using It Live?

I've been looking at different internal mic options and, 10 years after this one was released, still can't find a ton of reviews or information on it, and it seems when it came out was the last time there was a thread on it here. Right now I can find some selling for good prices, so I'm considering it.

For some context, I'm buying something for a relatively inexpensive/middle of the road guitar and would use it in a church setting, for acoustic sets. One of my nicer acoustics has a Baggs Anthem system which I can use at 100% microphone with no feedback in the same environment.

But my real questions are:
  1. If you've used this in a similar setting, what has your experience been like? (Especially if you have experience with both the MiniFlex 7 and Baggs Anthem)
  2. EDIT: Just realized this was a dumb question and removed it...

Thanks!

Last edited by rmeyer7; 11-22-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:19 AM

I owed a review for Miniflex mic model 7. I’m still working on it but I better answer your question here first.

I installed it on my custom Leviora guitar which is a carbon fiber acoustic guitar with Highlander IP-2 (under-saddle pickup) and Sunrise pickup (Magnetic pickup). I'm also use it for church setting. Miniflex mic model 7 is the most natural pickup among all the pickup I have. I usually pair it with either Highlander IP-2 or Sunrise pickup mainly when I play not in a band setting. It captures the air sound and make the guitar sound more 3D. However, it requires considerable level of EQ. In my case, it usually need to have a great reduction around 100Hz – 250Hz depends on the site. If you want to use it in live setting, beware to have a preamp with powerful EQ setting. Originally I use L.R.Baggs Mixpro but it is insufficient. Eventually I go for Grace Felix and it carries out its work very well. In addition, this pickup requires 12V-48V phantom power. Remember to do the connection before you turn on the power supply. I did once get shocked accidently. It won’t kill you, but it is not a good feeling definitely.

If you trends to use it in band setting. You still need to beware about feedback. I got lots of great result pairing with Highlander IP-2 (Miniflex model 7 just for adding back some air to the tone for mroe 3D sound, so I just have similar gain level with the active highlander pickup. You will need to double it if you use it exclusively). I do have feedback once. However, it can afford more gain in similar setting comparing to other mic comes with pickup (eg: Seymour Duncan SA6)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 11-28-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I owed a review for Miniflex mic model 7. I’m still working on it but I better answer your question here first.

I installed it on my custom Leviora guitar which is a carbon fiber acoustic guitar with Highlander IP-2 (under-saddle pickup) and Sunrise pickup (Magnetic pickup). I'm also use it for church setting. Miniflex mic model 7 is the most natural pickup among all the pickup I have. I usually pair it with either Highlander IP-2 or Sunrise pickup mainly when I play not in a band setting. It captures the air sound and make the guitar sound more 3D. However, it requires considerable level of EQ. In my case, it usually need to have a great reduction around 100Hz – 250Hz depends on the site. If you want to use it in live setting, beware to have a preamp with powerful EQ setting. Originally I use L.R.Baggs Mixpro but it is insufficient. Eventually I go for Grace Felix and it carries out its work very well. In addition, this pickup requires 12V-48V phantom power. Remember to do the connection before you turn on the power supply. I did once get shocked accidently. It won’t kill you, but it is not a good feeling definitely.

If you trends to use it in band setting. You still need to beware about feedback. I got lots of great result pairing with Highlander IP-2 (Miniflex model 7 just for adding back some air to the tone for mroe 3D sound, so I just have similar gain level with the active highlander pickup. You will need to double it if you use it exclusively). I do have feedback once. However, it can afford more gain in similar setting comparing to other mic comes with pickup (eg: Seymour Duncan SA6)
Thank you for the response, that is very helpful. Based on what you mentioned, it seems like blending a mic and pickup together will be the best option in most situations. In that case I may be better off with an LR Baggs Anthem system since it already has both a mic and pickup combined. The cost is about the same as buying the MiniFlex and a separate pickup, so it's probably worth it since it will have less complexity.
Seagull Artist Concert Hall
Alvarez MSD1
Old 11-29-2021, 08:26 PM

Yes, that's much simpler. Besides, don't forget the weight of Miniflex 2 mic. They all are relatively heavy comparing with other bullet mic.

I think the biggest advantage for miniflex 2 mic system is that you can adjust the position of 2 mic to get the sound you want. This process take massive of time investment but it worth.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 11-29-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Yes, that's much simpler. Besides, don't forget the weight of Miniflex 2 mic. They all are relatively heavy comparing with other bullet mic.
The funny thing is that it would be going into a Martin D Jr., which is a very light guitar, so it might just make it feel like my other guitars...
Seagull Artist Concert Hall
Alvarez MSD1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification