The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
I had the same problem for years, tried everything, to no avail. A few years ago I tried this stuff, https://okeeffescompany.com/products/working-hands and let me tell you, I can finally enjoy playing guitar all winter again. Hopefully it works for you as well. The main thing is to remember to put it on at least once a day.
I had the same problems as you and NOTHING worked until I found this product.
Highly recommended!
Old 11-29-2021, 07:02 PM

My thanks to the new posters, as well.

I'm still using super glue and I played for a few hours again today, no problems. This morning, I picked up some O'Keefe's, Bag Balm and a couple other products that I can't remember right now.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be playing a lot more than usual this winter. Thank you again.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:48 PM

I'm sorry to bring this back to the top, but I wanted to give you an update. Several of you recommend O'Keefe's, so I decided to try that first, and I actually saw some improvement overnight. I applied it a couple times today and I was able to play this evening without using super glue. I'm running the humidifier too, so that's probably helping me, as well as my guitar. Thanks again everybody.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dread View Post
I get them every winter. Painful splits/cracks on my fingertips and in the creaces of my finger joints. I've tried different things over the years, but nothing ever seems to do much good. It gets to the point that I can't even play through a lot of the winter and it drives me crazy not being able to play.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Products that work for you? Home remedies? Sorcery? I'm open to almost anything that will keep me playing.
Another vote for O’Keefe’s. Apply it before bed and also after washing your hands during the day.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I get them every winter. Painful splits/cracks on my fingertips and in the creaces of my finger joints. I've tried different things over the years, but nothing ever seems to do much good. It gets to the point that I can't even play through a lot of the winter and it drives me crazy not being able to play.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Products that work for you? Home remedies? Sorcery? I'm open to almost anything that will keep me playing.

Goats Milk Soap - pure - no added scents....used a local made one for years and years = works.

What is so special about goat milk soap?
Image result for goat soap USA
Goat milk soap is a gentle cleanser rich in fatty acids that can help support a healthy skin barrier to keep skin nourished and moisturized. Moreover, its high lactic acid content may help exfoliate the skin, which may benefit those with acne.

BluesKing777.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Goats Milk Soap - pure - no added scents....used a local made one for years and years = works.

What is so special about goat milk soap?
Image result for goat soap USA
Goat milk soap is a gentle cleanser rich in fatty acids that can help support a healthy skin barrier to keep skin nourished and moisturized. Moreover, its high lactic acid content may help exfoliate the skin, which may benefit those with acne.

BluesKing777.
I didn't even know goats milk soap existed, but from the description, it sounds like good stuff. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to bring this back to the top, but I wanted to give you an update. Several of you recommend O'Keefe's, so I decided to try that first, and I actually saw some improvement overnight. I applied it a couple times today and I was able to play this evening without using super glue. I'm running the humidifier too, so that's probably helping me, as well as my guitar. Thanks again everybody.
I'm pleased to read this. I actually stopped by to see if there was news. Man I don't like the idea of supergluing my fingers back together in order to play.

And I'm going to try O'Keeffe's too now. and and I don't apologize for bumping the post :P
Old 12-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Super Salve is the best

I used to river guide and live to kayak. This is a very common problem on long river trips, especially the Grand Canyon trips that can be up to a month long. In the old days we would all use bag balm or other cow utter ointments. I had it real bad with my hands bleeding by the 3rd day, so I would bring thin white cotton gloves to wear at night and would glop on bag balm, triple antibiotic ointment, cortizone cream and whatever else I could find. And never put your hands into clorox or even soapy water, so I would bring rubber gloves for that purpose. All the water based skin products would just dry up my hands worst, so it was always oil based.

But in last 2-3 decades a new product, super salve, came on board that now all the guides use, except the old hard core types that carry bag balm, lol. I still work for a river company that runs long multi day trips all over the country including grand canyon ad they give us a care package at start of season with super salve and the sun screen product the super salve company makes. All of their products are just gold and I have no worries about it reacting with guitar finishes as long is it freshly applied and still greasy.

I am done putting all the toxic chemicals on my skin that most products hae in them and trust super salve for all my long river trips!

https://supersalve.com/collections/t...ts/super-salve
Old 12-01-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I'm pleased to read this. I actually stopped by to see if there was news. Man I don't like the idea of supergluing my fingers back together in order to play.

And I'm going to try O'Keeffe's too now. and and I don't apologize for bumping the post :P
Yeah, I don't know how good super glue is for you, but I can't do a lot of the things I used to love doing, so playing is even more important to me now than ever. If my fingers continue to heal, and I think they're going to, I shouldn't have to use the glue very often. It's great to have it to fall back on if I need it, though. And from what I've seen in the short time I've used it, I can recommend O'Keefe's. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
I used to river guide and live to kayak. This is a very common problem on long river trips, especially the Grand Canyon trips that can be up to a month long. In the old days we would all use bag balm or other cow utter ointments. I had it real bad with my hands bleeding by the 3rd day, so I would bring thin white cotton gloves to wear at night and would glop on bag balm, triple antibiotic ointment, cortizone cream and whatever else I could find. And never put your hands into clorox or even soapy water, so I would bring rubber gloves for that purpose. All the water based skin products would just dry up my hands worst, so it was always oil based.

But in last 2-3 decades a new product, super salve, came on board that now all the guides use, except the old hard core types that carry bag balm, lol. I still work for a river company that runs long multi day trips all over the country including grand canyon ad they give us a care package at start of season with super salve and the sun screen product the super salve company makes. All of their products are just gold and I have no worries about it reacting with guitar finishes as long is it freshly applied and still greasy.

I am done putting all the toxic chemicals on my skin that most products hae in them and trust super salve for all my long river trips!

https://supersalve.com/collections/t...ts/super-salve
I hadn't heard of super salve either, but anything recommend by a river guide and kayaker has to be good. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:34 PM

Glad to hear the O'Keefe's is working for you, I know its changed my winter's for the better since finding it.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 12-01-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
Glad to hear the O'Keefe's is working for you, I know its changed my winter's for the better since finding it.
Yes sir, thanks again.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Bag Balm, a cure for everything that ails ya!

I have worked for a number of years in the mechanical industry and I too highly recommend Bag Balm. It has an antiseptic in to aid in healing an if you don't want to put it on during the day as it is quite greasy you can put it on at night and then wear a light pair of cotton gloves while you sleep, it will do wonders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I have a cure for that. Go to your local Walmart and buy an 8 oz. container of Bag Balm. It’s inexpensive ( less than $10 ) and it really works. What is Bag Balm you ask? It was originally developed for dairy cows to keep their teats from getting sore and irritated from milking. Farmers noticed right away that after applying it to their cows their hands were no longer chapped.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydarnsky View Post
I have worked for a number of years in the mechanical industry and I too highly recommend Bag Balm. It has an antiseptic in to aid in healing an if you don't want to put it on during the day as it is quite greasy you can put it on at night and then wear a light pair of cotton gloves while you sleep, it will do wonders!
Thanks for your reply. I tried O'Keefe's first and it's really helping. I use it a couple times a day, after washing my hands and before I go to bed. A couple days in and my fingers are almost completely healed. I have some bag balm to fall back on, but so far so good.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have used Guitar Hands for years, also Mane & Tail. Both great products.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion