The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-17-2002, 07:21 PM

Default National Guitars

Hey Folks -

I recently ordered an National Delphi Deluxe from Elderly Instruments as an early birthday present to myself and to satisfy a GAS craving I've had for a long time for a single-cone resonator guitar in general and a National guitar in particular. It should be here this Wednesday. I'm hoping to eventually learn to play some slide guitar, and I'm a big fan of the "low-down dirty" sound of a resonator guitar. I'm also a Mississippi Delta blues freak (I'm listening to Charley Patton as I write this). Anyone own a National or other type of resonator guitar (Dobro, Regal) that might have some advice for a metal-body guitar neophyte?

Thanks and regards,
Bill
Old 02-17-2002, 09:28 PM

Congratulations, Bill! Those guitars are beauties.

I'm no bluesman, but I suggest you get your muscles toned, because the metal bodied Nationals are very, very heavy.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:54 PM

Thanks, Chris. Between the heavy body and the medium gauge strings, I will definitely be putting in a little more time at the gym!

Bill
Old 02-17-2002, 11:43 PM

Hey Bill: I bought a National tri-cone last summer. Went to a local blues festival and saw some of the delta blues legends like John Cephas, John Jackson, and others, all making beautiful music on metal-bodied guitars. I decided right there that I had to own one.

Put in an order at my local mom & pop for a Style 1 Tri-cone and when they called National to check on availability the boys at National said they had a Style 1 with custom engraving on it they would sell for the same price as the plain-Jane style 1. Seems they had made it for some dude and then he backed out of the sale, or some such story. I snapped it up and have been having a ball with it ever since. It has the single cone "palm tree and sun" engraving on it which they don't offer on the tri-cone, so I guess it's a pretty unique guitar. For the same price as a no-engraving model I couldn't pass it up.

I've tried playing some slide but I mostly just finger pick it in open tunings. I'm hooked on open "D." I use a plastic thumb pick and metal finger picks and absolutely love the big ballsy sound.

CPMusic was right on about the weight of them. Mine weighs a ton and didn't come with a forward strap button. I've screwed around with different methods of tying the strap to the headstock but the guitar is so butt heavy that it just won't hang right. I didn't really want to drill any holes in the wood but I guess I have no choice but to mount a strap button on the heel.

Good luck with yours, man. Even with the heavy strings they still play pretty easy.

By the way, I went to a Buddy Guy show last Wednesday night. He wasn't very good at all. Didn't hardly play any music and I don't think he finished one song. It was like a stand-up comedy routine with a little guitar playing thrown in. Pretty disappointing. His band sure was great, though.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:17 PM

Thanks, NFP. I went with the single resonator, but the tri-cone I played sounded awesome - a little less loud, but better sustain. Sounds like you really scored with the custom model too.

Good thing you were able to see John Jackson, who died last month. And thanks for the heads-up - I'm leaving for Argentina (for a month) on March 17th, and was thinking about seeing Buddy Guy in concert the night before I leave, but I may pass on it if he's turned into a novelty act!

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-20-2002, 10:19 AM

Well, it came in this morning. It's (she's?) got a beautiful greyish-brown baked-on finish, with ivoroid binding on the neck and heel, and an ivoroid headstock cover. She's somewhat heavy despite her small body (I'd say about GC size), but seemingly less heavy than I remember the brass single resonators I tried (Models O, N and EN) were. Surprisingly easy to play, with a great low-down gutbucket Delta blues sound. And, it should be noted, this sucker is LOUD! I can't wait to get home and give her a good workout.

Any double-entendres above were strictly unintentional.

Regards and happy pickin',
Bill
Old 02-20-2002, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up We need pictures!

Nationals are awsome guitars. Congrats!!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:46 AM

Question Model D

Any squareneck players out there? I own a National model 'D'
It's beautiful. It may not be a Scheerhorn but it doesn't cost $3K either.

p.s. this 'dobro' has no actual frets, just grained ivoroid markers.
why put frets on a squareneck anyway?

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-11-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 11-11-2021, 11:36 AM

Played an early squareneck '30s National tricone (Style 1) for many years.
Foolishly sold it off and am now seeking another.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:00 PM

A 19 year old zombie thread! Is this a record??
Old 11-13-2021, 04:35 AM

My buddy, Brad, may have been involved in building it.
He loves working at National.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments