The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Judging by the audience reaction in that video, he gave the audience what they paid for.

A guy, David Sudnow, had a self-teaching piano course for cocktail piano back in the 90s. In it, he made a fair amount of commentary about music and performance. In one section, he talked about how, when playing for a general audience, you get their attention with pyrotechnics, which is not the intention of the course.

From what I have seen, this is true. Play straight all the time, and people get bored. TE seems to intuitively understand this and is one of the few fingerstyle players who has transcended the fingerstyle only audiences as a result.

Do I like such pyrotechnics? Not really. However, I do understand that audiences generally do and Tommy Emmanuel delivers in spades. He is a fine player who is in full control of his instrument at all times as a result of having paid his dues through many, many hours over many years of devotion to his instrument. Who am I to fault him for that?

Tony
Old 11-04-2021, 09:01 AM

Awesome! Best guitar player on planet earth.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Yes its quacky and live recordings generally are no match for studio recordings.

If TE is awful, I'd settle for terrible any day.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2021, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I absolutely loved it. Just an awesome, and even tasteful, rendition in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I found it amazing in every way (except, perhaps the amplified sound): ability, musicality, sensitivity, and emotion. Way to to go, Tommy!
Old 11-15-2021, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
A wonderful song and a wonderful player. However, I don't know about you all but that amplified tone isn't great. I've heard better from many players right on this forum.
The piezo quack coming out of that Maton dreadnought is really pronounced. Every time I hear Tommy play that particular guitar, I kind of shudder. His other Maton guitars sound really good through the pickup, but this one ... I asked him once why he uses that guitar at all, and he said he just wanted to put forth a different sound, for variety.

It does that...

I've heard him play "Amazing Grace" on his smaller, OM-sized Maton and I thought it sounded a whole lot better.

I know that his over-the-top playing on a song like this can cause some people to turn away. But Tommy's a showman, an entertainer. It's songs like this that the non-guitar players in the audience react positively to.

- Glenn
Old 11-15-2021, 10:03 PM

His rendition doesn’t invite me to feel the heart of the song. Just makes me think that Tommy wants to repeat Jimi’s success with the Star Spangled Banner. I think it’s wanky.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Musical minimalist

We need to get him and Victor Wooten together for a performance of this.

Tommy is Tommy - he's going to make the most out of every tune from an entertainment standpoint - that's what his live shows are all about.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
We need to get him and Victor Wooten together for a performance of this.

Tommy is Tommy - he's going to make the most out of every tune from an entertainment standpoint - that's what his live shows are all about.
Exactly. As far as his composing and playing a piece without extra live audience theatrics I love this one of his:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-17-2021, 09:25 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Exactly. As far as his composing and playing a piece without extra live audience theatrics I love this one of his:
No question - his slower and very heartfelt pieces are my favorite as well.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM

This guy is just a monster.. One of the best walkin the earth right now ..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-17-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post

Wow, that sounds so good! WOW! And he makes it look so easy...

I remember once at a TE workshop he commented that 95% of the guitar players at his concerts want to hear pieces like this -- sweet, melodic stuff -- not the raucous, over-the-top stuff. But he commented that he does the raucous stuff to keep the non-players at a concert interested.

I have to yield to Tommy's superior knowledge of who's at his shows, but I hope I don't ever have to hear him do his "Initiation" piece again for the rest of my life. I could listen to Tommy's melodic, sweet stuff all day long.

For those who don't know what the "Initiation" piece is:

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-17-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

A good frind of mne attended a TE concert in the Uk some years ago and gave me a DVD of what he took. I dismissed it as , essentially "shownig off".

But ..... isn't that largely what we do, regardless of our talents:?

I've seen Stefan Grossman many times, and Bob Brozman twice (he seemed like a nice unassuming guy - but I so wished that he'd play a number all the way though) and Martin Taylor (too loud) and Martin Simpson (many times, many may times) and I've seen Isaac Guillory - one of the greatest unknowns.

I haven't seen (rock on) Tommy live - but he is not just a very very good player - he is an "entertainer", and aprt from the front row "finger starers" (as Stefan called us once) there are others that go "for the show" and Tommy gives a show - every time.
He's traveling the world and (hopefully) making a good living doing it - Rock on!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:43 PM

Love his style and jaw-dropping chops. Would not want to hear that version of Amazing Grace at a funeral. Would walk out at the 2:30 mark.

Have seen him twice. Trying to reconcile what I see with what I hear is really fun.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
A good frind of mne attended a TE concert in the Uk some years ago and gave me a DVD of what he took. I dismissed it as , essentially "shownig off".

But ..... isn't that largely what we do, regardless of our talents:?

I've seen Stefan Grossman many times, and Bob Brozman twice (he seemed like a nice unassuming guy - but I so wished that he'd play a number all the way though) and Martin Taylor (too loud) and Martin Simpson (many times, many may times) and I've seen Isaac Guillory - one of the greatest unknowns.

I haven't seen (rock on) Tommy live - but he is not just a very very good player - he is an "entertainer", and aprt from the front row "finger starers" (as Stefan called us once) there are others that go "for the show" and Tommy gives a show - every time.
He's traveling the world and (hopefully) making a good living doing it - Rock on!

I prefer “showing off” with soul to showing off with gratuitous chops.

But I also realize it’s just a matter of taste. We all define those things differently.

Seeing a production of Macbeth performed on roller skates would be super fun and cool…to some people.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN