The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-16-2024, 07:32 PM

Default Here Comes the Sun hybrid picking?

Anybody hybrid pick Here Comes the Sun by George Harrison (The Beatles)? I'm learning this song using a pick but it doesn't seem tough to figure out how hybrid pick it. I want to get into more and more hybrid picking, and thought this song would be a good practice piece.

Anybody?

I'm picking it up (pun intended) with a guitar instructor, but thought I would see what he thinks of it also hybrid picked.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-17-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Anybody hybrid pick Here Comes the Sun by George Harrison (The Beatles)? I'm learning this song using a pick but it doesn't seem tough to figure out how hybrid pick it. I want to get into more and more hybrid picking, and thought this song would be a good practice piece.

Anybody?

I'm picking it up (pun intended) with a guitar instructor, but thought I would see what he thinks of it also hybrid picked.

Thanks in Advance!
Personally, I never use hybrid picking, and would either fingerpick that, or possibly just flatpick it.
Obviously see what you instructor thinks. It's still up to you how you play it. but if you want to hybrid pick it he should have tips.

My favourite factoid about that tune is (AFAIK) he wrote it on ukulele. It suits under the fingers beautifully on a uke tuned A-D-F#-B (guitar 7th fret), the A the usual octave higher. And would probably be fingerpicked in that case.
In fact, if you just hold this shape on a uke - 0-0-1-0 - and fingerpick almost anything, it sounds like Here Comes the Sun...
Old 03-17-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Personally, I never use hybrid picking, and would either fingerpick that, or possibly just flatpick it.
Obviously see what you instructor thinks. It's still up to you how you play it. but if you want to hybrid pick it he should have tips.

My favourite factoid about that tune is (AFAIK) he wrote it on ukulele. It suits under the fingers beautifully on a uke tuned A-D-F#-B (guitar 7th fret), the A the usual octave higher. And would probably be fingerpicked in that case.
In fact, if you just hold this shape on a uke - 0-0-1-0 - and fingerpick almost anything, it sounds like Here Comes the Sun...
You know that makes sense about ukulele because capoed at the 7th fret it sounds like a ukulele to me.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Don't know, I've never learned the song BUT

I used to play hybrid and that is really a finger style player rising from the world of flat picking. Lose the flat pick (for now). Learn to play Travis style stuff, maybe with a thumb pick if you like and then other finger style music. The payoff is tremendous.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Don't know, I've never learned the song BUT

I used to play hybrid and that is really a finger style player rising from the world of flat picking. Lose the flat pick (for now). Learn to play Travis style stuff, maybe with a thumb pick if you like and then other finger style music. The payoff is tremendous.
I actually started fingerstyle travis before I learned to strum. Still I'm intrigued by hybrid picking.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:56 AM

I texted my guitar instructor and he said the following: Go for it Cecil. Hybrid picking is a great technique.

The only issue now is I sometimes automatically want to use my pick more than my fingers as I originally learned it alternating with a pick, but that's minor. I'll get over that with more practice.

Thank you for all the feedback!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-19-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I do this a little differently now, depending on whether I'm using a thumbpick or hybrid picking, but maybe it's worth looking at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_AQo1DTPc
Old 04-05-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGFletch View Post
I do this a little differently now, depending on whether I'm using a thumbpick or hybrid picking, but maybe it's worth looking at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_AQo1DTPc
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write