The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Default My favorites are always obsoleted

When I find something I like, I find comfort in the familiar. I like always knowing what I'll have.

I've driven the same brand of car for 32 years. I've purchased the exact same model three times in a row. I handed cars down to my kids - at one point we had four of the same model car in the driveway at the same time (neighbors thought I was curb-stoning).

When I need new sneakers, My favorite brand/model are off the market. I scour the Internet and stocked up and have four pair (in different colors) stashed away for future.

Recent cologne thread touched this point - my favorites were again obsoleted so I scavenged a few years' supply off the Internet.

As for guitars.......

I love my electric guitars - they are no longer made.
I love my acoustic guitars - these are no longer made.
I dislike all the replacement options.

I don' t understand humanity's rabid need to always innovate and come out with something "new and improved". If you have something that is very good and reliable and meets your needs, I wish people would just keep making it.

The entire world suffers from "new coke" syndrome.......

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-20-2024, 10:01 AM

You have cars?!?! Was the horse and buggy not good enough for you?? Why are you pushing these new fangled items?

I'm just joking. I feel that way for some things but not others. It depends on the product. As I get older, I certainly understand the comfort in the familiar.

Last edited by RedJoker; 02-20-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I have the same shirts I owned when I started the job I'm in now, 10 years ago. I've had my Adidas for 7 years. My truck is already 9 years old. You get to a certain age and the day-to-day of your life doesn't change as much as it did when you were younger. So your needs don't change.

Other than that, you're arguing against capitalism, my friend. Gotta take the bad with the good.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I have the same shirts I owned when I started the job I'm in now, 10 years ago. I've had my Adidas for 7 years. My truck is already 9 years old. You get to a certain age and the day-to-day of your life doesn't change as much as it did when you were younger. So your needs don't change.

Other than that, you're arguing against capitalism, my friend. Gotta take the bad with the good.
Needs and wants as well.
Really don’t need or want new vehicles.
One is 6 years old the other 8 and are paid for. Both have around 50k miles on them and are in excellent condition.
In fact, we really probably will never need another new vehicle.
In fact we have way more than we want or need period.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-20-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:40 AM
Get off my lawn kid

There's that old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Some haven't grasped that concept

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-20-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I found a pair of boots I especially like probably seven years ago. Based on my perception of how unique and good these boots are for my feet and my eye, I bought a 2nd pair and put them on the closet shelf. The first pair is still in great shape. I would think I will never need another pair of boots unless I want something different.

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with 245k miles and it's now not as reliable. After SEVERAL years of refusing to buy a new truck even though I had the money, due to their stupid high prices, I felt I needed a more reliable truck because I had to do some travel. Bought a 2018 Ford F150. But what irks me is my Titan is the perfect size truck for me and they do not make them like this anymore, nor does any manufacturer that I am aware of. The Colorado, Tacoma, Ranger... a tad too small for me and today's 1/2 tons, like the F150 I just bought, are too big if I had my druthers. If I can find a good buy on another Titan same size as mine, I will buy it and sell my old one.

The premise of the thread is valid, I do it on other stuff, too.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm the same way with shoes. They keep on changing them, and it's very hard to find any that fit my 14W consistently.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-20-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I don' t understand humanity's rabid need to always innovate and come out with something "new and improved". If you have something that is very good and reliable and meets your needs, I wish people would just keep making it.

Nope. Just (as mentioned) the Capitalist countries and those that buy their merchandise. The name of the game you see is "sell more" and new models fulfill that need. It's definitely NOT "the entire world" but I can see how someone with a built in Western Nation bias would see it that way.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:36 PM

And yet Charmin just changed the perforation on its toilet paper and it is a HUGE improvement!!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I find something I like, I find comfort in the familiar. I like always knowing what I'll have.

I've driven the same brand of car for 32 years. I've purchased the exact same model three times in a row. I handed cars down to my kids - at one point we had four of the same model car in the driveway at the same time (neighbors thought I was curb-stoning).

When I need new sneakers, My favorite brand/model are off the market. I scour the Internet and stocked up and have four pair (in different colors) stashed away for future.

Recent cologne thread touched this point - my favorites were again obsoleted so I scavenged a few years' supply off the Internet.

As for guitars.......

While I tend to agree in principal For example its hard to find a new 3/4 ton Pickup with a manual transmission

That said pulling way back and looking at the big picture, humanity has been on a "progress trend" since climbing down out of the trees
No doubt at different rates in different area's of the world but I think it's in human nature to progress.
And "if it ain't broke don't fix it" has always been at odds with "change is the only constant in the universe" which is fundamentally driving what we are talking about ...

And while it is true that industrial capitalist countries may suffer the most from "More New Stuff Syndrome " --- given that "to progress" is human trait world wide, it is a factor in almost the entire world to greater or lesser extent.

Take cell phones for example of the 195 recognized countries in the world
There are 193 in the International Telecommunication Union
and here are some interesting numbers about cell coverage world wide
https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/ran...work_coverage/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-21-2024, 08:35 AM

While I understand the sentiment/concept, you also may be missing out on your next favorite pair of shoes or car etc.

I wore the same brand of athletic shoes for years, bought a different brand and found them to be much more comfortable and durable then what I thought were comfortable and durable. I wished I had changed years ago.

This does not mean you have to go out and buy every new thing that hits the market, my Samsung S9 is like 7 years old now, but things improve also, not just change.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
While I understand the sentiment/concept, you also may be missing out on your next favorite pair of shoes or car etc.

I wore the same brand of athletic shoes for years, bought a different brand and found them to be much more comfortable and durable then what I thought were comfortable and durable. I wished I had changed years ago.

This does not mean you have to go out and buy every new thing that hits the market, my Samsung S9 is like 7 years old now, but things improve also, not just change.
It is mostly a what sells wins. You remind that for the most part things improve. I think New Balance 990s that come in widths are now up to gen 5 since the 1980s. Lands' End (shirts and pants), Kuhl (mostly pants) and Patagonia still serve my body type over decades even if styles change. New versions are often much better.

What I miss most are when some institutions and landmarks don't survive, and some of the rituals or scenarios around them. A business might not survive, a place gets redeveloped not always for the best.

I'm helped to understand some things as "just stuff" by a not so romantic wife and mother in her 90s who's always lived as move on and keep going.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
And yet Charmin just changed the perforation on its toilet paper and it is a HUGE improvement!!
A+ for attention to detail.😂

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 02-21-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

thanks for the useful information---yes, really.
Never know what you will learn on the AGF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Old 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I feel the same way and to name a few:
* foods/restaurants/groceries that change a recipe or discontinue favorite items from the menu/shelves.
*shoes in all shapes and forms quite often....now I often buy a couple pair and put one back for when the originals wear out. Yeah, I really do that.
* light bulbs---was really broken hearted when they started eliminating incandescent bulbs, even though I appreciate the benefits of LED, I still like the light an incandescent bulb makes.
*cars: I wish they still made the original VW beetle.

At my age some of it is notstalgia, and I admit I really appreciate many of the new innovations.

Quote:

As for guitars.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic