The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Default Classical Guitar Setup Spec Question

Hello fellow Classical Guitar owners and enthusiasts!

So I’m finally joining the club and will be adding my first classical guitar to the stable (Taylor Academy 12e-N – perhaps not truly classical for the purist out there)

I was wondering what setup specs you folks tend to use - or what I should aim for given my playing style)?

As far as my acoustic steel strings, I have a light touch and play nearly exclusively fingerstyle (without fingerpicks).

For all my current acoustic steel strings guitars:
Extra light gauge strings
Adjusted bow of the neck at the 7th fret set to .010” when the 1st and 14th fret are held down (this is standard I would think)
Adjusted height of the saddle so that open 12th fret Bass E is .095” and Treble E is .075”
Adjusted height at the nut so that open 1st fret Bass E is .016” and Treble E is .013”

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
2019 Taylor Academy 12e-N
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Hi Steve,

You're correct. With its 1 7/8" nut width, slightly radiused fretboard, and on-board electronics, this guitar falls more into the "crossover" design than a traditional classical.
But given your player specs and sensibilities listed, my best guess would be that this particular Taylor model, as is, would suit you just fine.
I have a good friend, primarily an acoustic steel string based fingerstylist, who owns one and has really bonded with it.
Me thinks that you will too! Enjoy the nylon experience!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical