The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Default Bridge reset help please

If some wood fibers come off in the process, whats the best way to handle that. I'm talking just a minimal here and there issue, not major damage. Appreciate the advice.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Peel them off and glue them back in place on the top. If they are really thin, just scrape the bridge clean and lightly surface the top.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Peel them off and glue them back in place on the top. If they are really thin, just scrape the bridge clean and lightly surface the top.
Thanks John, wish I would have thought of that. I tried using
probond filler with titebond, plus I didn't try to conform the bridge to the top, started lifting within a month. I will have to take it off and see what kind of mess I got going on. I may put a larger bridge on and try to get down to wood.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 AM

Bridges lifting can also be symptomatic of another problem, such as broken or loose braces, excess bridge rotation

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Bridges lifting can also be symptomatic of another problem, such as broken or loose braces, excess bridge rotation

Steve
this RK has the forward shifted bracing, thanks Steve I will inspect that
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM

twas my stupidity. Too much filler. So scraped er down to wood. Maybe a 16th recessed but I feel good most of the filler is gone and should bond good. Tinkers have to learn too... I'd keep ya posted but ordered new tuners. will make custom made blonde wood fret markers it will be a few weeks before my son even starts playing, but if the bridge lifts again I will be back, crying the blues, but I think I got er. Have done dozens of bridge resets, first fail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair