The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ruben, that guitar looks like an Artist Series Cameo model (maple back and sides).
The Seagull Performer series guitars do not have those appointments.
The performer in the photo came with an Artist neck.

I've owned a couple of Artists model that had "Artist" between the tuners.

The photo bill sims posted looks like a newer model with "Seagull" between the tuners.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Oh my, that's purdy!!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
The performer in the photo came with an Artist neck.

I've owned a couple of Artists model that had "Artist" between the tuners.

The photo bill sims posted looks like a newer model with "Seagull" between the tuners.
So how did a Performer end up with an Artist neck? The Seagull script looks identical so it would seem the two are from a similar period.

I've got an Artist Studio Deluxe CW which has "Seagull" instead of "Artist" on the headstock, but the font is different. It's a much newer model though, 2016 I believe.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
What a great find. I've never seen anything from Seagull remotely like it. I does look like it might be a flamed maple back. Let us know more about the sound - I'm really intrigued by it.
Thanks, that's why I bought it because it was unique. I'm thinking that you may be right about the flamed maple, and it has a sound something like a Gibson SJ-200 that I used to have, except much louder. This Seagull is the loudest guitar that I have ever owned. My other acoustics are rosewood and mahogany, and this one sounds totally different.

I'm wondering about the top wood. Has Seagull ever used cedar over maple on their Artist model, or would it most likely be spruce?

I need a proper fitting case for it, and I'm leaning toward a TRIC case. I can't seem to find any info inline regarding which TRIC case is made for a Seagull dreadnought.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So how did a Performer end up with an Artist neck
When I spoke with Godin, they told me that a few had been made by mistake.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I'm wondering about the top wood. Has Seagull ever used cedar over maple on their Artist model, or would it most likely be spruce?

I need a proper fitting case for it, and I'm leaning toward a TRIC case. I can't seem to find any info inline regarding which TRIC case is made for a Seagull dreadnought.
I'm not aware of whether they used cedar over maple, but I know they haven't over the past few years. Just cedar over either layered cherry or mahogany

If you go to Seagull's website and look at a given guitar, they match up the correct size TRIC case with it as an accessory below. I believe they have a generic dreadnought sized case that fits all of their dreads. I know the ones I have (all came with dreads) are all interchangeable amongst the 5 dreads I have (including 1 Alvarez).

Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

That's a really cool find. And glad to hear it sounds as good as it looks. I've owned several Seagull guitars, including three Artist series (all of which were excellent). Congrats!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM

I got word back from Seagull via email. My guitar is a limited edition 2010 model with a solid spruce top, laminated flame maple back and sides, maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

Now the confusing part is the laminated construction. I thought that Artist models had solid wood back and sides. Apparently mine is not an Artist, hence the limited edition designation. But it certainly has the other earmarks of an Artist model. All it says on the inside label is "Trans Black". Is anyone familiar with Seagull's limited edition offerings? I guess I'll write back for clarification.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Hmm. I think some of the older Artist models had laminated backs and/or sides. But I owned a 2008 Artist Studio CW QII, and it was all solid wood.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM

My Performer Dreadnought looks similar except for the neck and stain. Maybe the Limited Edition was a Performer model in trans black with an Artist neck/fret board?

Let us know what you find out.

Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM

I just got clarification from Seagull that it is not an Artist model, even though it has the Artist series seagull 12th fret inlay. They said that they usually make a few hundred guitars on a limited edition run. I'm slightly disappointed, but I shouldn't be. It's a beautiful guitar, and it sounds and plays great. Also, I paid about half of what an Artist would cost.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM

I wonder why it was a limited run? The thing is gorgeous! Would seem they could sell a bunch of those!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Further clarification from Seagull; it has no model or series designation, it is merely referred to as a "limited edition". This in itself is slightly confusing when you consider that Seagull is now offering an "S6 Original Limited Edition Tennessee Red".

Michel Belanger at Seagull (email, apparently they have no listed customer service phone number) has been a huge help in identifying my guitar and responding to multiple questions.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Michel has always been very helpful and responsive. He's worked with a guy on the Seagull forum, who's created a comprehensive list of all the models throughout the brand's history. I'd be curious if he's seen this model before.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 PM

How do I find this forum? I Googled "Seagull forum" and found very little. Nowhere did I find the list of models and history that you mentioned. I'd be interested to find more Seagull information online.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion