The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 AM

You can find the original "monkey on a stick" mounts pretty easily, and without the pickup, they're not too much money.

In my opinion, the monkey on a stick mount requires a finger rest as well, otherwise the pickup rests on the top and is not at the right height.

The tab on the Swingmaster pickup is glued to the finger rest, and the neck bar is obviously screwed into the neck. I don't like adding holes to my guitars, but I like the Dearmond and equivalent Swingmaster enough to deem it worthwhile. Besides sounding amazing, they also just look "right" on non-cut archtops like mine, in my opinion. I've played other pickups that I've liked quite a bit - Benedetto, Kent Armstrong, etc - but I couldn't have lived with the looks of any of those on this guitar. Too modern for the rest of the aesthetic. The Swingmaster looks and sounds perfect - I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:09 AM

BD, thanks for the thickness info.

Agreed that they look just right and I might be willing to add the screw holes to the neck for that perfect look too.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You can find the original "monkey on a stick" mounts pretty easily, and without the pickup, they're not too much money."
I keep a pretty close eye out for them and they don't come up too often. It's easy to find original or knock-off screws for the mounting bracket but the full tension rod assembly is rarely for sale without the pickup. I always wondered why someone doesn't produce a copy of the monkey stick mounting hardware. They probably couldn't make them fast enough.

Quote:
In my opinion, the monkey on a stick mount requires a finger rest as well, otherwise the pickup rests on the top and is not at the right height.
I don't use a finger rest and I use self-stick felt pads to bring the pickup to the proper height, 1/16" below the strings when depressed to their lowest point for maximum output and the "DeArmond 1000" model designation directly below the 1st string for proper string balance.

Quote:
The tab on the Swingmaster pickup is glued to the finger rest, and the neck bar is obviously screwed into the neck. I don't like adding holes to my guitars, but I like the Dearmond and equivalent Swingmaster enough to deem it worthwhile. Besides sounding amazing, they also just look "right" on non-cut archtops like mine, in my opinion. I've played other pickups that I've liked quite a bit - Benedetto, Kent Armstrong, etc - but I couldn't have lived with the looks of any of those on this guitar. Too modern for the rest of the aesthetic. The Swingmaster looks and sounds perfect - I couldn't be happier.
I like being able to remove the original DeArmond and go back to pure acoustic without any alterations to my guitar, which is non-cutaway like yours. I considered installing a neck mounted pickup, pickguard thumb wheel controls, and an end pin jack but I felt, like you, that the look wasn't right for my Gibson-copy Loar LH-400. And I love the Rhythm Chief control box.

I feel the same way about the original DeArmond as you do the Swingmaster. But, although my DeArmond is in perfect working order, it is about fifty years old. If Swingmaster ever offered a full vintage DeArmond setup, based on the glowing Swingmaster reviews I've read, I would buy one for a backup.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD0 View Post
If Swingmaster ever offered a full vintage DeArmond setup, based on the glowing Swingmaster reviews I've read, I would buy one for a backup.
I guess I'm still not following your logic. If you already have the monkey on a stick set up, and only want a Swingmaster pickup as a backup, why not go ahead and purchase it? It will mount directly to your monkey on a stick brace - there is no need for a second one. Am I missing something?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm still not following your logic. If you already have the monkey on a stick set up, and only want a Swingmaster pickup as a backup, why not go ahead and purchase it? It will mount directly to your monkey on a stick brace - there is no need for a second one. Am I missing something?
I always try to buy complete original set ups, or try to assemble complete set ups when I have to. If I ever decided to sell my vintage pickup I wouldn't have a set up for the new one. It'd be like buying two identical cars but only one set of rims and tires. You know?

I have to add: Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they should do the right thing and offer the full original set up.

Last edited by RobertD0; 06-16-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Edit to add
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM

UPDATE:
The Guild Store now has the Rhythm Chief 1100 copies available, in addition to the 1000 version (and all the other Guild pup reissues.)

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/

Guild
'56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '62 F-20, '64 Mark II, '65 SF IV, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVP, '90 Pilot, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird
Acorn House Guitars
Parlor #1, Butternut Deuce, Rounder, Kulakeiki
G&L '93 Legacy
Lute '03 Lyn Elder
Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 PM

This is good news, and long overdue - FYI they've also got the Model 1000 "Redhead" in gold (same price as nickel, BTW) and a basic wiring harness for pickguard mounting...
Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 PM

Have one of the 1100's in hand and will install it on an 18" pretty soon. Any thoughts on what strings would be a good match to these?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Try a set of Martin Tony Rice Retros - the old-timers used to use monel strings for their double-duty instruments...
Old 07-19-2015, 03:43 PM

That's what I'm using with my Dearmond clone. They sound almost as good and as loud acoustically as my favorite phosphor bronze strings, but have much better balance amplified.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys.. will try some out when I get the 1100 installed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops