The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 PM

Default Vintage Gibson Ukulele Bridge repair

First time posting here, A few months long admirer of the guitars and recently found the repair part of forum. I have an old Gibson ukulele I picked up for super cheap at a yard sale of all places. It’s the only time I’ve been really lucky finding something. Anyways this bridge was holding three strings but all the slots Are wearing out and the high a string is completely busted through. The strings were just tied at the end and jammed into the little slots (I’m honestly not even sure if this is the correct way to mount strings or if there are strings with a special end to use with this bridge)

Anyways- wondering if you all have any suggestions on repairing it? I’d like to not replace the bridge entirely as it is worth like $600 from what I’ve seen. I was thinking just some petroleum based wood filler or epoxy with some matching saw dust. What do you all think would be the best way to fix this while retaining value? Or do you think just leaving it wood be the best way to retain value? I was hoping to play it. Not just sell it- if that makes a difference- but not if putting it in playing condition would ruin the value forever. Get it?

Any help is much appreciated! Maybe I can contribute to the electronics questions around here!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Well I need to add a picture. I don’t have a hosting site. What do you all use these days? I stopped hosting site back when they did a worldwide fee for photbucket.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 AM

I use Imgur .
Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 PM

heres a pic

Since I'm new here and this is a guitar board- I have this ibanez talman acoustic guitar with a hump- and the hump is ONLY under the bridge. This would be the first time I try to repair a hump in a guitar- and I'm wondering how I should repair this bridge- should I just repair this like a normal bowed top on an acoustic- and are there any other recommended tools besides the Thompson Belly Reducer that stewmac sells? I guess I could just make my own clamp cauls, but that would probably be just as expensive. Any recommendations? I think the hump is too big and weird since its not over the entire top and just a big bulge right under the bridge- too much in one spot to try to sand the bottom of the bridge to match the top.

I dont really need specifics- jsut a general recommendation- like should I use putty or maybe epoxy on the uke? or do nothing?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2019, 03:27 PM

here's a pic of the ibanez acoustiic guitar

Old 01-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalc502 View Post
heres a pic....

I dont really need specifics- jsut a general recommendation- like should I use putty or maybe epoxy on the uke? or do nothing?

Thanks!
This looks like the same type of uke bridge Martin used a hundred years ago. Safest thing to do is nothing, esp., if it is valuable. Someone who specializes in restoration/conservation would be the go to. If it were mine, I would close up the top slot with like wood and hide glue and recut the slot so the string knot can't pull thru.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaniel View Post
This looks like the same type of uke bridge Martin used a hundred years ago. Safest thing to do is nothing, esp., if it is valuable. Someone who specializes in restoration/conservation would be the go to. If it were mine, I would close up the top slot with like wood and hide glue and recut the slot so the string knot can't pull thru.
You think hide glue and sawdust will actually hold? That was my first thought but I worried it wouldnt hold
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalc502 View Post
You think hide glue and sawdust will actually hold? That was my first thought but I worried it wouldn't hold
Thanks!
Sawdust, no, I don't think that's going to work; a tight fitting sliver of wood, probably. After recutting the slot for the string, not much wood will be left on the sides which then wedges the string knot in. Alternatively, playing with the string knot shape, might also be worth a try. HHG is reversible, lowering the risk to value-changing fixes. Again, if this were mine, I would plug up the hole and recut it and not get overly concerned about impact to collectability, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bridge repair, gibson ukulele, ukulele repair, wood filler