The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-14-2018, 03:08 AM

Default Need help with strumming pattern for Everly Brothers “I’ll Do My Crying In The Rain”

Could you help me with a strum pattern please everly brothers

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-09-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1234 View Post
Could you help me with a strum pattern please everly brothers
I will be watching this thread. I've been trying to get this one "right" for years.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Hey johnnyboy,

Just a guess, and no offense intended. I looked at your profile, and saw no less than 13 requests by you for help with strumming patterns, just on the first page of your profile. At least three were duplicates, but I looked no further.

Perhaps it’s not the difficulty, but rather your lack of sharing what, if anything you’ve already figured out on your own. Maybe there’s a lack of communication regarding your input. Again, perhaps simply asking for direction time and time again, without sharing your own efforts, has some confused as to what you’ve done thus far. Just a thought.

Everybody wants to go to heaven,
But nobody wants to die.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Default john from new zealand

Have been practing for 6 years now and felt it was a nice song to sing .looking for other members to give me some input .Will be going to attend tamworth country music 2019 in Australia.Thank you for answing my request There also i noted another member looking for the type of strumming .for that song also i have found play the cords and feel how the song goes by the recording .Looking forward to any other help regards John
Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Mark.

You have had lots and lots of posts asking for strumming patterns. In this particular song the strumming pattern is very basic and simple.
Besides what is already available to look at on youtube most anyone could easily listen to the song and play it. In the long run it will pay
you to figure most things like this out yourself by ear.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Johnboy, I'll take a closer look today-- the song was new to me, and I liked it, so learning it will be worth it to me and I'll post my findings.

It's mostly a simple strumming pattern, yes, but there are some key spots where it breaks from that and follows the vocals more closely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-08-2019, 01:43 PM

Hi johnny,
Maybe you just need to learn some basic strumming patterns and then figure out how to apply them to the songs you'd like to play. As mentioned above there's a lot of instruction for strumming patterns on You Tube. Here's one from Mark McKenzie, who I believe is Australian.

Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM

So after listening, here's my take.

The song is in the key of D, but I believe it's actually played in "C" with a capo at the second fret (the acoustic guitar)...more on why I think that later...

You have two basic rhythms at work here...there's the somewhat "country spanish" feel the drums imply on the intro and break between verses...and there's a more standard quarter/2 eighth note thing strummed during the verses.

Here's how I'd go about a nice easy version to get you started. My guess is since you're looking for strumming patterns that you're not a music reader, so I'll try to stay away from that kind of talk as much as possible for now.

The "spanish" strum can actually be accomplished using all downstrokes

Try strumming the C chord (capo II, so it's sounding as a D) like this--the beats in bold are accented:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I that feels good, the second and third beats together can become 1 triplet strummed "down up down"

1 tri-pl-et 4 5 6 7 8

So that's three strums in two beats. If that's weird, just leave it off for now.

Ok, so when the words come in, try this, strumming each chord "down, down-up" The combination of a "down-up" takes the same space as one "down" by itself. This is a quarter note and two eighths...you can even say to yourself "quarter two 8ths quarter two 8ths," strumming down on "quarter" and "two" and up on "8ths."

Here's your chords (again, capo II)

C F G C
C F G C
C F E7 Am

Now, we're at the line "all my sorrow and pain"

I'm going to go back to the first rhythm and play an F chord

and then one G and stop!

"I'll do my crying in the rain"

On the word "rain" you're going to play Am, first rhythm (the "spanish" rhythm)

Here's the trickiest part of the tune--and the reason I beleive the acoustic is capoed...

We've got two times through our Spanish rhythm on the Am...except for one beat only--the 7th beat the first time through. On that one beat--there's a G chord.

But the beautiful thing is, your 4th, 3rd, and 2nd string played open ARE a G chord. So simply lift the chord up for that one beat, and place the chord back down on the next. Give that lifted up G chord beat an accent too. It's in RED below.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

And again, if you're comfortable, you can add the triplet from above too...just trying to mimic the rhythm the drums and guitar establish together...

See if this helps you, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Jeff,

What a really helpful answer that was. Very kind.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 (DUDUDUDU)

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 AM

Many thanks for the input that you all have to this request .Most appreciated .King regards john
Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I've been playing for a number of decades and I am a flatpicker but I simply dolt understand what yuo mean by "strumming pattern".

The progression is simple enough :

D G A D
I'll never let you see
D G A D
The way my broken heart is hurtin' me
D G F#7 Bm
I've got my pride and I know how to hide
G A
All my sorrow and pain
Bm A Bm
I'll do my crying in the rain

Etc. or if transposing :

I IV V I
I'll never let you see
I IV V I
The way my broken heart is hurtin' me
I IV III7 VIm
I've got my pride and I know how to hide
IV V
All my sorrow and pain
VIm V Vim
I'll do my crying in the rain

How you choose your key, tempo, accents, and how you pick it is entirely up to you.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I've been playing for a number of decades and I am a flatpicker but I simply dolt understand what yuo mean by "strumming pattern".
He wants to be told when to strum down the strings and when to strum up and in exactly what order, as if rhythm guitar was learned by memorising specific sequences of down-up strokes specific to each tune you learn, as opposed to allowing your hand to move freely up and down in 16ths (when in 4/4) and connecting with strings intuitively to accent and express the rhythm as you wish (and mentioned in your post).

..yes it's bizarre isn't it? For one thing unless you include the rests within such a strumming sequence and place this alongside the chord changes the pattern could be completely misinterpreted.

Imagine trying to remember all that for each song *and* sing over the top as well...

To the OP - I don't wish to be mean, we all started as beginners and the above is aimed rather at those who promote the idea of learning such patterns. Why not get a few guitar lessons with a good teacher, learn basic strumming rhythm along with chord changes, learn to accent as you please and you will never once have to learn a 'strumming pattern'.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0Sscke9z4

The above link is to the Everly Brothers playing "I'll Do My Crying In The Rain" live. They have slowed the song down considerably from their original recording, which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6qQEyCSv8

The good thing about the live recording is that with things slowed down, you can hear what they are doing a little better and the strumming from their live playing is really emphasized.

I have been thinking of recording this song for my YouTube channel since I have been on an Everly Brothers kick lately. I will see what I can get done in the next few days and post here if I can get a live recording done.

I'm sorry that this is frustrating for the OP. Maybe in the process of doing the recording I will get some insight into how to describe the strumming pattern.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM

That would be great Glenn if you could do a recording please Regards John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write