The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM

i would suggest getting to know the reverb(s) you already have in your DAW. that way you will know what is lacking for you and what you may be looking for in another reverb.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Joseph, you would use an echo on quiet fingerstyle like Anton does? I've never had any luck with that, I get it for vocals, electric guitar, etc, but my attempts to use it on solo fingerstyle usually end up just making the fingerstyle stuff sound messy, double attacks and so on. I have occasionally liked an echo on live sound. I'd be interested in an example.
You can see youtube videos for what Echo Boy sounds like. More artificial sounding than reverb but doable depending on what you like.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 12-18-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Just get yourself a BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. This pedal does it all!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Oh, BTW I recently used just the native equalization and reverb that comes with Audacity on this recording (so you never know)
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/ArpeggioTwoDec2018.wav

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Oh, BTW I recently used just the native equalization and reverb that comes with Audacity on this recording (so you never know)
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Misc/ArpeggioTwoDec2018.wav
I love the sound of that recording. The playing too.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
This...no question. I use Echo Boy far more frequently than my M-3000 these days. For me it creates a broader, deeper sound scape without being invasive to the original sound. That's not to say you can't get totally immersive echos...you certainly can. Like anything else (audio mixing oriented) it takes a bit of time investment and elbow grease to start converting some tasks from reverb to delay but for me really worth it.

YMMV
I know what you mean. I feel like I can be a little more aggressive with a delay than a reverb because it doesn't take up as much space.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i would suggest getting to know the reverb(s) you already have in your DAW. that way you will know what is lacking for you and what you may be looking for in another reverb.
This is probably the most sensible answer. But that means I don't get to buy fun new plugins!

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I certainly have some more options to consider.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I know what you mean. I feel like I can be a little more aggressive with a delay than a reverb because it doesn't take up as much space.
To me it's more like "it doesn't need as much open sonic territory to be effective." Talking about records in general, not just solo and small-group acoustic stuff, the mixing style tends to be a lot more dense and crowded than it used to be. Same with TV shows and movies.

Also, a delay is really flexible tool. One thing to try is taking an instrument or voice and setting up a delay of, say, 40-80ms and low-passing the heck out of it. Like as low as down into the mid-hundreds. Blend that into your mix and you won't hear the distinct delay; it'll seem like your source sound has more "bloom" to it.

And try a super-short delay, like around 10-13 ms. On single-note sources it can provide a doubling-like texture. And some gentle low-passing will help it blend in.

Couch Standards
Old 12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Interesting ideas, Brent. I just tried quickly, using Anton's track that he posted earlier, and I can't say I got anything I like. I was able to make it sound like it was recorded in a hard walled room :-) I'll play with this some more, but I'd be interested in what you'd do with anton's track using delay.

His example is here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530859

This is typical of Anton's style, so that's what he's asking for advice on
Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting ideas, Brent. I just tried quickly, using Anton's track that he posted earlier, and I can't say I got anything I like. I was able to make it sound like it was recorded in a hard walled room :-) I'll play with this some more, but I'd be interested in what you'd do with anton's track using delay.

His example is here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530859

This is typical of Anton's style, so that's what he's asking for advice on
I didn't mean to give the impression that I was recommending using only delay with a solo acoustic guitar. I meant in conjunction with reverb.

Go HERE and listen to "Ball and Chain" and "Leah's Song" form a live internet radio show I mix. (the latter will more likely be in your wheelhouse) They both have reverb on them, for sure, but they both have a ton of dry delay as well. You might like it, might not. My approach is pretty far from purist.

And in band-type situations, I'll often use delays on specific instruments and skip the reverb altogether, and it works. For me.

Couch Standards
Old 12-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I didn't mean to give the impression that I was recommending using only delay with a solo acoustic guitar. I meant in conjunction with reverb.
Ah, that help, thanks. Leah's Song is kind what I was expecting, ball and chain is a whole different genre. Leah's song sounds quite processed, so I guess it's a matter of what you're shooting for. Personally, I'm more of a purist, and want to capture what the guitar really sounds like in the room, but that's just me, maybe not Anton.

Anton, check out Leah's Song and see if you like that!

Incidentally, I almost always use pre-delay on reverb, so there's sort of a combined echo/reverb as well.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'm more of a purist, and want to capture what the guitar really sounds like in the room, but that's just me...
I think it's a lot of people here.

Couch Standards
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for those examples Brent. Leah's Song sounded nice, but its more processed than what I am shooting for. I am looking for a sound closer to what Doug gets.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 PM

https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/echo-boy

This is a two track, track. No reverb and obviously a pretty "pushed" EchoBoy-plug in. I did this quickly so there are some obvious warts

I have about 5 or 6 "go to" EchoBoy sounds that I really love for space. This one however is a bit heavier just for demo reference.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
https://soundcloud.com/joseph-hanna/echo-boy

This is a two track, track. No reverb and obviously a pretty "pushed" EchoBoy-plug in. I did this quickly so there are some obvious warts

I have about 5 or 6 "go to" EchoBoy sounds that I really love for space. This one however is a bit heavier just for demo reference.
Can you tell me what settings you're using there, Joseph?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD