The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Default John Allison 0 Cedar/Brazilian—ON HOLD—

For those that don’t know, John Allison was employed by Collings for many years. He now makes his own guitars, and if you’ve ever been to a shop that has them, they will be the best sounding on the wall. He still takes custom orders here in South Texas.

This single O is the best sounding guitar I’ve ever played of any size. I keep thinking I’m going to find a larger guitar that beats it but I can’t. It is incredibly rich, crazy thick overtones, and has that glassy shimmer Brazilian is known for. The Brazilian came from the private stash of the owner of Heart’s Home acoustics in Boerne, Texas. It’s a 40-50 year old piece that looks and sounds simply amazing. The measurements of the guitar are closely aligned with a Collings single 0. It’s a 25.5 scale with 1 and 11/16ths nut. The neck is very comfortable and the spacing doesn’t feel cramped at all. The action is spot on. This is an incredible fingerstyle guitar. Condition is excellent. Some signs of play but you have to look. It’s a house guitar in a smoke/pet free home.. John didn’t provide a bunch of specs for this guitar, but he said it was a killer guitar and a one of a kind. Absolutely right on. $4,200. IMG_7045.jpgIMG_7047.jpgIMG_7046.jpgIMG_7048.jpgIMG_7050.jpgIMG_7051.jpgIMG_7054.jpgIMG_7055.jpgIMG_7059.jpgIMG_7061.jpgIMG_7063.jpgIMG_7064.jpg
https://youtu.be/xQqWfU2rBMs

Last edited by jrobsocall; 03-22-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:06 PM

Smile Any trades?

I’ve owned some Allison guitars, and every one, regardless of tonewoods was a pleasure to play! Tone with headroom to spare. I’ve talked with JA a couple times on the phone, when we lived in Austin, and he’s a great guy; making guitars as good as the high-priced guys.

I’ve also bought 2 guitars from Chaney at HHA, my favorite guitar store in all of Texas!

I’m like semi-retired now with more great guitars than I can play, regularly, but if one of my babies teases your interest, I would love a baby JA in trade, to play again!

Thanks for considering, Johnny

Last edited by JohnnyD123; 02-26-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD123 View Post
I’ve owned some Allison guitars, and every one, regardless of tonewoods was a pleasure to play! Tone with headroom to spare. I’ve talked with JA a couple times on the phone, when we lived in Austin, and he’s a great guy; making guitars as good as the high-priced guys.

I’ve also bought 2 guitars from Chaney at HHA, my favorite guitar store in all of Texas!

I’m like semi-retired now with more great guitars than I can play, regularly, but if one of my babies teases your interest, I would love a baby JA in trade, to play again!

Thanks for considering, Johnny

Thanks Johnny. I bought this guitar from Chaney as well. HHA is an incredible acoustic store. Someone is going to get a gem out of this guitar. Can’t wait until they hear the first bass notes out of it and tell me how right I was! Haha.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM

I have an Allison single 0 that I'd love to trade for yours, but I don't think you would like mine! It's all mahogany - woody, fundamental, small-box bass - great for blues but not a lot else. Mine is, in fact, the only Allison single 0 that I've heard that doesn't have amazing bass - yours sounds like a dream machine. Good luck with the sale.

John is, by the way, working for Collings again, so I expect any commissions he takes will be completed very slowly. Anyone looking for a good Allison should jump on this beauty!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Sounds like no more testimonials are needed, but I wouldn’t trade my Allison guitar for anything. There just aren’t that many of them, so it’s a small club I guess.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM

Am I right that the size of this looks more like a Martin double 0?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I have an Allison single 0 that I'd love to trade for yours, but I don't think you would like mine! It's all mahogany - woody, fundamental, small-box bass - great for blues but not a lot else. Mine is, in fact, the only Allison single 0 that I've heard that doesn't have amazing bass - yours sounds like a dream machine. Good luck with the sale.

John is, by the way, working for Collings again, so I expect any commissions he takes will be completed very slowly. Anyone looking for a good Allison should jump on this beauty!

Thanks a bunch. I get this thing out to play it and I think I may come to my senses and just keep it. It’s not only an amazing guitar but it’s a rare one too, especially if he’s not on his own as he once was.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Am I right that the size of this looks more like a Martin double 0?

Hi I put it next to my Webber Cedar/Maple 00 for comparison. It’s definitely a single 0. Looks bigger without reference.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
Sounds like no more testimonials are needed, but I wouldn’t trade my Allison guitar for anything. There just aren’t that many of them, so it’s a small club I guess.

You’re probably right. I need to get a grip and realize what I’ve got ain’t gonna get better...
Old 02-27-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Drum Strings

I have a interest call me 813-7533273 cell
thanks
bill
Old 02-27-2019, 09:55 PM

I played an Allison Braz Jumbo at Austin Vintage Guitars when I lived in Texas a few years ago. It was the best guitar in the shop that wasn't upstairs behind a locked door.

I seriously considered it, but it was VERY blinged out and had, if I remember, ants/insects inlaid on the fretboard which I didn't care for.

I did see the potential of this builder though. I bet your 0 is a gem.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 AM

I own that braz jumbo now ! Great guitar with some unique bling...!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Video added. Excuse the poor playing and iPhone 7 recording. Even so, you can hear the deep, rich tone of this one.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
I played an Allison Braz Jumbo at Austin Vintage Guitars when I lived in Texas a few years ago. It was the best guitar in the shop that wasn't upstairs behind a locked door.

I seriously considered it, but it was VERY blinged out and had, if I remember, ants/insects inlaid on the fretboard which I didn't care for.

I did see the potential of this builder though. I bet your 0 is a gem.
I played this same guitar 4-5 times over a two year period 2012-14. The best tone ever, full but not real loud. Yeah, the ant theme was a bit much. I would have bought it, except the 1 11/16” neck. I was serious enough, to call JA about the cost of a neck replacement (lose the ant theme and widen the nut).

It just didn’t come together. I bought another guitar. I still remember the tone.

I played every JA guitar I could, while in Austin. Bought an OM model from Chaney at HHA. Kept it for 2 years, went to airports on 30 business trips. This was an OMC with enough headroom to flatpick with banjos. Traded it to my friend Paul, only after owning my Tippin OMT for a year, and traveling with it instead.

I would say a John Allison guitar is somewhat like a high-end Collings, yet with hand-made fit and finish and local family Austin soul.

Last edited by JohnnyD123; 03-01-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

"I would say a John Allison guitar is somewhat like a high-end Collings, yet with hand-made fit and finish and local family Austin soul."

That is what I would say about the JA I got from our pal JD!

It was a real beauty and sounded great. If the neck worked for me I would still have it.

Very soulful tone.

Best on this

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars