The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2019, 06:55 PM

Default Straplocks on A/E, in front or behind the input jack

Many people who use a strap with their acoustic electric guitars that have the larger diameter endpin jack with that ridiculous collar that comes loose, has a very narrow recess for the strap material, and is a pain to deal with, struggle with getting the strap to work with the bottom of the guitar.

My question is, what is the ideal placement for an accessory/aftermarket strap lock on the bottom of the guitar? In front (or closer to the top guitar's soundboard) or in back?

I have one with each and in either location, the instrument cable is secure, but plugging in is a little more difficult than unusual.

Most Yamaha a/e guitars have the external flangmount style jack which is much more accommodating for straps.

Just wondering what most of you do.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Again, to be clear, I am planning on using straplocks -- the Dunlop style. I have no desire to use the strap cinch fit or whatever.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Pictured are my Yamaha A1M with the Dunlop straplock behind (near the back of the guitar), and an Oscar Schmidt with the standard strap button in front of the pickup input jack.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Behind on my Taylor. I was concerned that the guitar might 'lean' forward, but it's not an issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification