The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2022, 08:11 AM

Default 2012 Martin 0-28 VS binding rising up

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/guidance regarding the following problem.

I found a used Martin 0-28VS that has the perfect sound/feel that I am looking for. Unfortunately, the binding is lifting at the four points where the waist of the guitar meets the binding.

A new and very helpful guitar buddy who is very knowledgeable told me that this is endemic of the Martin guitars in the 2000 teen years. His good friend who has many Martins, had this experience and took his guitar to Martin to get repaired. They repaired the two local spots, however over time the problem has come back. He continues to look for resolution to this problem.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? I am wondering if the entire binding was removed and replaced whether that might solve the problem. I wonder if the luthier used a wood binding rather than replacing with plastic if that might help in terms of adhesion.

I am clueless.

It will be evaluated by a luthier this week, and I hope to hear of a solution.
Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2play View Post
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/guidance regarding the following problem.

I found a used Martin 0-28VS that has the perfect sound/feel that I am looking for. Unfortunately, the binding is lifting at the four points where the waist of the guitar meets the binding.

A new and very helpful guitar buddy who is very knowledgeable told me that this is endemic of the Martin guitars in the 2000 teen years. His good friend who has many Martins, had this experience and took his guitar to Martin to get repaired. They repaired the two local spots, however over time the problem has come back. He continues to look for resolution to this problem.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? I am wondering if the entire binding was removed and replaced whether that might solve the problem. I wonder if the luthier used a wood binding rather than replacing with plastic if that might help in terms of adhesion.

I am clueless.

Any ideas?
If you do a search you'll find that there are many topics and countless posts about the Martin binding problem. The general consensus is it can be fixed, but usually results in quite a bit of down time. If the owner is the original purchaser then Martin has been covering the repair cost, although it will always be a "repaired" guitar. If it's a pre-owned instrument then it is an out of pocket repair cost, although some folks don't enjoy paying for a shop to re-glue the binding and do the finish touch up that it requires.

My Lowden and Larrivee guitars had beautiful wood binding and I love it. You just need to be a little more careful not to bang your guitar into things, but that's generally not a problem for folks that are playing higher end instruments.

Replacing conventional synthetic binding with wood is going to be cost prohibitive to most owners. Wood binding does not have the problems with remaining firmly attached like we see with the Martin line.

Probably the best "resolution" is to buy any of the other major brands that don't have the binding issue, although for some, "Only a Martin is good enough", to coin another manufacturer's phrase.

So yes, it is normally repairable by a good shop, but it's up to the purchaser to determine if the problem is worth the effort to address this all too often seen problem. In your particular case you have to determine if you want to spend the additional couple hundred dollars and the down time it will take to have it repaired properly.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-28-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I am clueless.

Any ideas?
It can be re-adhered by any skilled guitar tech.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:54 AM

Rudy4 & runamuck,
Many thanks for your replies.

After posting I Googled and YouTubed. I don't know what I didn't think about doing that before posting. I discovered how common this issue is with Martins. I never came across it before.

This guitar happens to be rather perfect for me. Due to a shoulder injury I am very limited and have looked at many small-bodied models. I lucked out finding this guitar, as the sound is exactly what I am looking for along with the fit.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I'll check in with luthiers to see what the options and costs are.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Rudy4 & runamuck,
Many thanks for your replies.

After posting I Googled and YouTubed. I don't know what I didn't think about doing that before posting. I discovered how common this issue is with Martins. I never came across it before.

This guitar happens to be rather perfect for me. Due to a shoulder injury I am very limited and have looked at many small-bodied models. I lucked out finding this guitar, as the sound is exactly what I am looking for along with the fit.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I'll check in with luthiers to see what the options and costs are.
I totally understand your needs. I went through a similar process after a "pulverized collarbone" injury. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, and since I make instruments I designed and built exactly what I wanted.

Size 0 mahogany 14 fret slot head with deep body and arm bevel

I modified the bracing and massaged the body from the basic size 0 proportions slightly and opted for a deeper body, more in line with the Santa Cruz H series. Most of the SCGCs are 13 fretters, and I often capo to the 7th and sometimes as high as the 9th so the extra real estate of the 14 fret was important to me. The $200 cost (minus my labor, of course...) didn't hurt my feelings, either.

The arm bevel was a last minute addition prior to starting the build due to a fortuitous visit to Elderly and sitting down with one of the Taylor Academy 12s. Once I felt the arm bevel I knew I would probably never have another guitar without it.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-28-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:26 PM

Thanks again Rudy,
Very cool and great sounding solution!
Old 07-28-2022, 07:02 PM

I do the repair weekly and under warranty

Reason for failure of the binding after its been re-attached is pure laziness of the repairer that did the job, you need to clean the channel where the binding goes and you need to clean the inside edges of the binding, if you do not do that it will eventually fail.

I see so, so, so sooooooo many come in where others have glued the binding back on without addressing this first, its a pet peeve of mine actually, not that you would guess that
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-31-2022, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

An 0-28. Cool. I wish they still made those.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair