The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-28-2022, 02:12 AM

Default Emerald adjustable bridge vs. Standard – resonance

As some of you know, I have recently acquired a beautiful new X20, and chose the adjustable bridge as one of the custom options. I think it’s genius. Being able to adjust string height and intonation quickly and effortlessly is a no-brainer for me.
But it has divided opinion among friends. In fact, no other guitar I’ve ever owned has divided opinion as much! Which is, of course, one of the things I love about it.

The question posed is how can saddles standing on grub screws work effectively to set up resonance in the guitar's top?

It seems like a perfectly valid question, and I have to admit that it was one I asked myself, and then Davy K at Emerald.

Even after he put my mind at rest, as with all other aspects of this instrument, I still thought long and hard before going for this bridge.

For me, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. I find that my X20 resonates beautifully. But then I have no other reference point, as I haven’t played or heard an X20 or other Emerald with the standard bridge.

Anyone out there who has both?

If so, I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

I’d love to hear from someone who’s been able to do the side-by-side comparison.

I’d like to think that it would put the debate to rest, but we’re guitar players, so it won’t

After watching Emerald in action for the last 5+ years, I find it very hard to believe that Mr. Hay and his crew would deliberately incorporate something in the design of the guitars that would compromise the tone in any way.

I suspect that a lot of the antipathy toward the new bridge is based simply on the notion that it’s different, and therefore can’t possibly be better, let alone as good.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-28-2022, 08:28 AM

I agree that the adjustable bridge for both height and intonation is indeed genius. Might be the first acoustic ever? Why should electric players get all the fun?

With gorgeous wood tops, adjustable bridges, PLEK'd fretboards, and ergonomic curves galore, Emerald is very forward thinking. They certainly cannot be blamed for "resting on their laurels" other than that their instruments are and always have been made from carbon fiber.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next covert operation at Emerald is to fine tune the instruments to make the best sounding carbon fiber guitars ever, if they aren't already. Of course then we have arguments here on the subforum that we see everywhere else .
Old 06-28-2022, 08:35 AM

Be nice to see a pic of it! They are not first for this Gibson had adjustable saddles on their acoustics in the 1960’s. But they were much criticized for reducing tone? Though I can see some advantages, I adjust most of my guitars by sanding the saddle. Not rocket science? I always buy a new saddle and keep the original as a reference.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-28-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
They are not first for this Gibson had adjustable saddles on their acoustics in the 1960’s.
Try the early 20s! AFAIK the adjustable saddle on a floating bridge was one of the things introduced by Lloyd Loar, but it may in fact be even older.

There's a consensus that on archtop guitars, a full-contact base will sound better than a 2-footed design with an identical adjustable saddle but not as good as a (lighter) 1-piece non-adjustable bridge (as used on Ken Parker's archtops).

My guess would be that this adjustable Emerald saddle sits on screws that are anchored solidly in a bridge/base plate that is fixed solidly to the top and in such a way that it can transfer vibrations efficiently.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:10 AM

Here you go! (Edited sharing options so people can actually view it!)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1v...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Be nice to see a pic of it! They are not first for this Gibson had adjustable saddles on their acoustics in the 1960’s. But they were much criticized for reducing tone? Though I can see some advantages, I adjust most of my guitars by sanding the saddle. Not rocket science? I always buy a new saddle and keep the original as a reference.

Last edited by Gary C; 06-29-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:47 PM

Why would two grub screws change anything?
Not enough material? Take a look at a regular saddle. How much string to saddle contact is there? Not much. On the adjustable bridge, how much string to adjustment yoke contact is there? A fair bit.
Basically on a regular bridge, the saddle to top has a large contact. Saddle to string had minimal contact. Yet it transfers the vibration fine.

All the adjustable bridge does is swap the high/low contact points... Why would vibration transfer be affected?
Old 06-28-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
Google drive asks permission to view! Looks like I got rejected! Lol
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 06-28-2022, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, yeah? Well, I've been thrown out of nicer places than this before!
Old 06-29-2022, 12:03 AM

Sorry - what a muppet! Have changed the sharing settings so should be viewable now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1v...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Old 06-29-2022, 03:12 AM

Where do the ball ends go? The angle looks quite shallow which might give more sustain and less volume?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:02 AM

This is a bit fascinating. I’m sure this bridge came about as they developed one for their hybrid guitar with electric pickups. They used Graphteck products for that: the Ghost system and MIDI interface through Graphteck’s specially designed replacement bridge for electric guitars. See pic below. They then designed a bridge that would incorporate them. Pretty cool. In guitar building everything is a compromise. Do you loose any acoustics sound over a tradition bridge? I would imagine maybe some but I bet its not very noticeable. The plus is being able to fully adjust the intonation. Not possible on a standard acoustic bridge. I think the real value of this bridge is being able to use their ghost pickup system which is quite good. I have it on my hybrid Wechter guitar but it uses Graphteck’s more tradition saddle pickups made for acoustic guitar. To me I like the traditional look but no adjustment for intonation. See last pic.

2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 06-29-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:17 AM

That looks like a surface-mounted tunomatic bridge/saddle, in essence. It would be interesting to know if the use of CF for the bridge makes up for the weight of the metal saddles and the mechanism. And of course how the metal used influences the timbre.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:26 AM

It is indeed fascinating! What is particularly impressive is that you can achieve electric guitar levels of action (should you require it) effortlessly. I currently have the bass E set at 1.5mm and treble E at 1.2mm, and thanks to the stability and evenness of the neck/fretboard and the Plek'd frets, it plays with zero buzzing or choking. I went for the Ghost + K&K pickup option, which allows you to blend the two (here's a demo by Davy K of Emerald: https://emeraldguitars.com/davy-deep...nd-kk-pickups/)

Quote:
This is a bit fascinating. I’m sure this bridge came about as they developed one for their hybrid guitar with electric pickups. The used Graphteck products for that : the Ghost system and MIDI interface through Graphteck’s specially designed replacement bridge for electric guitars. See pic below. They then designed a bridge that would incorporate them. Pretty cool. In guitar building everything is a compromise. Do you loose any acoustics sound over a tradition bridge? I would imagine maybe some but I bet its not very noticeable. The plus is being able to fully adjust the intonation. Not possible on a standard acoustic bridge. I think the real value of this bridge is being able to use their ghost pickup system which is quite good. I have it on my hybrid Wechter guitar.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
It is indeed fascinating! What is particularly impressive is that you can achieve electric guitar levels of action (should you require it) effortlessly. I currently have the bass E set at 1.5mm and treble E at 1.2mm, and thanks to the stability and evenness of the neck/fretboard and the Plek'd frets, it plays with zero buzzing or choking. I went for the Ghost + K&K pickup option, which allows you to blend the two (here's a demo by Davy K of Emerald: https://emeraldguitars.com/davy-deep...nd-kk-pickups/)
Good choice of pickup system, should give you a lot of flexibility to your acoustic sound. I love low action and on the Wechter guitar above I had to file the support for each of the 6 pickups to adjust the action. It took hours! And no going back.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber