The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Anyone here love to cook?

I have been on a cooking rampage lately. I'm picking out a new recipe to make each weekend...

Last weekend, it was Chicken Fricassee. Today, I'm making Chicken Sauce Piquant. Both of these are roux-based Cajun/Creole inspired dishes.

Thought I'd just inquire as to whether there are others doing something similar... or anyone have any recommendations for my future weekend meals?
Old 07-17-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Been on a summer grilling binge down here in TX.
*smoked brisket / grilled corn / sausage /skirt steak-fajitas
*beef ribs
*shish kabobs- mixed marinated meats & Veggies, bacon wrapped asparagus.
* lots of summer salads/Pico de gallo.
*all the 4th of July grilling staples.
*tonite's lemon pepper mesquite grilled chicken and caprese salad.
If you are going roux/cajun, try a gumbo and boudain.
*snapper or redfish ponchetrain.
Other favs:
*chicken picatta & pomadoro pasta
*shrimp pasta diavola
*fricasse/cacciatore. In cooler weather (inspired by your post)
*veal/chicken parmesan.
Just a few...
Old 07-17-2022, 01:18 PM

Enjoy cooking.

In the summer it’s mainly grill or smoker w/salads and fresh fruit…..keeping it simple. When fall arrives, it’s comfort foods like chili, tacos, stir fry…..trying to eat more veggies and less meat…almost ready to be vegetarian.

I like to bake pies in fall and winter.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:23 PM

I love to cook, but I was kicked out of the kitchen 25 years ago when I got married. Since then I’ve been relegated to grill duty, which I love BTW.

I see so many interesting recipes on social media that I would love to try, but how to sneak back into the kitchen….maybe I could try some on the grill!
Old 07-17-2022, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Love to cook. We got an electric smoker (no judgements, please; it's awesome for us!) and have made brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, fish, tri-tip, etc.

Also, I've been following the Mayo Clinic Diet, and their suggested meals are incredible. Dieting and losing weight has never tasted so good. But it requires a fair amount of meal prep, so my wife and I are mixing in some more simplified meals for days that we both work. I can share examples of the MCD meals, if anyone is interested in hearing about them.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:39 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I have thought about toying around with a smoker, but I love the multi-tasking preparation of kitchen meals and learning about regional cooking. And, it's **** hot in the summer! Of course, higher-end modern smokers make it much easier to set it and just monitor things from the comfort of the A/C!

Good to hear what you're all doing! I have definitely done gumbos. In fact, one of my grandmas used to win the Emerald Coast Gumbo Competition almost every year! She lived in Destin, FL for almost 50 years. One year she made her gumbo and split it into two batches. She added tomatoes to one not the other. She entered both and won 1st and 2nd place! The one without tomatoes won 1st, of course.

I'm enjoying the weekend meal planning. I'll just stick with it as long as the muse is there...
Old 07-17-2022, 03:12 PM

Cooking is, for me, almost as enjoyable as playing guitar. I mainly cook Italian, French and Mexican but my forte really is southern Italian. Spending a few months there when working for NATO in the 80s really got me hooked. Love that Mediterranean fare.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I love cooking.

My parents were pretty old fashioned so I didn't learn much - but the first girl I lived with was Swedish and had no truck with dated male-female stereotypes.

Thanks to her I learnt how to do the stuff that my parents would have considered "woman's work". I learnt quickly.

I found that cooking could be as creative as making music.

I used to do the curries, barbecue, and chinese stuff but now tend towards Mediterreanean style, Greek, Spanish, and North African.

Although mostly fresh vegetable based, I cook with fish and chicken but I like lamb on occasions too.
I believe that spices should only be used to enhance the tastebuds to taste the meats and vegetables best, not to mask them, and every item should retain its taste.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-25-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:47 PM

Coq au vin is a classic way to cook chicken and sure to please. Lots of recipes on line

Asking if there is anyone who loves to cook is like asking if anyone here likes to play guitar.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:50 AM

Smoked a brisket flat yesterday.

I love my Traeger.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-18-2022, 10:26 AM

We do have some great chefs here on the AGF (from past threads). I, unfortunately, am not one of them although I've never tried. I just don't enjoy cooking.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:35 PM

I love to cook, almost as much as I enjoy playing the guitar. Here are a few keeper recipes off the top of my head:
Greek lemon chicken and potatoes https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...-and-potatoes/

Mexican beef picadillo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPVtIUKEpS0

Bolognese sauce: https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2...lla-bolognese/

Poblano black bean soup(goes great with quesidillas): https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bl...poblano-chiles

Oklahoma onion burger: https://www.seriouseats.com/oklahoma...-burger-recipe

Salsa dona(great on breakfast tacos): https://www.thefauxmartha.com/salsa-dona/

Authentic Mexican is my favorite...I'm always making salsas from my pepper garden, grilling meat for burritos/tacos/quesidillas, and freezer is packed batches of beans I've cooked prior.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:38 PM

Beef, pork and lamb roasts are my favorite dishes to cook and serve. Roasted, broiled or braised are my methods of choice. Having owned and operated many restaurants over the years my skill set is consistent with a full service, strictly fresh kitchen. One of the faults of such a background and career are a tendency to cook for more people than are in attendance, and for a person who is predisposed to having a love of food, well you know where that is going….

Roasted vegetables are also a big favorite of mine to prepare. Artichokes in a lemon butter vinaigrette or roasted zucchini with Parmesan cheese crust are a big hit here on the compound. Jersey corn off the grill this time of year is outstanding, as are roasted tomatoes with fresh basil and mint from the garden.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I love to cook, it's great to nail a recipe and share it family and friends. Summertime is smoking and grilling time, and I like have a mess of sides to serve with ribs and brisket and pulled pork. Coleslaw, collard greens, beans with ham hocks, and dirty rice. Just tried a Red Snapper Vera Cruz, snapper in a sauce of tomatoes, bell peppers, pepperoncini , jalapenos, green olives, and capers. Great mix of flavors.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I do all the cooking around these parts. I follow recipes from online, our 20 or so cookbooks, and the many my wife has clipped from all manner of magazines (which I’ve saved and grouped by type).

I will try anything including vegan. I learned some neat vegan recipes a few years ago just to try them out. At the other end a colleague just gave me 10 pounds of venison.

I like different “ethnic” recipes. After I prepare something once I enjoy “editing”.

I can’t wait to retire so I can cook even more. Currently I make enough on a given Sunday to go most of a week. We both work well over 40/week. So once that nonsense stops I’ll be able to do smaller batches and more of them.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic