The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Some Tuesday stay-at-home video, with the MV88+...

Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 PM

Ok, I just did a test and the MV88+ seems to work ok with Facebook Live if you just set the mic level and mode up with the Motive app first.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Ok, I just did a test and the MV88+ seems to work ok with Facebook Live if you just set the mic level and mode up with the Motive app first.
Maybe it is just my particular android phone (Galaxy S8 active) that it won't work with. I had the mic set with MOTIV app, but I just got static when I went live.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
1953 Gibson J45
2004 Martin Custom D
www.coleallenmusic.com
https://youtu.be/a0CwYWvCG90
Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Allen View Post
Maybe it is just my particular android phone (Galaxy S8 active) that it won't work with. I had the mic set with MOTIV app, but I just got static when I went live.
Did you do it from regular Facebook or their Pages app? From a regular page or an artist page?

My test was using the regular Facebook app on my artist page.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

The 6 foot lightning connector extension cable (male on one end, female on the other) showed up late today. I was able to put the MV88+ mic about 6" from the amp and have the iPhone at a good distance for the video - works great. I only had time to do a partial song to try it out. Busy tomorrow with another project, but I'll try to get something up in the next couple days.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Question: the MV 88 that comes in the plus(+) kit seems to have different input ...3.5mm plug (?) than the standalone MV 88 mic that seems to have only the lightning connector as the input. Is this correct?
Old 04-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Question: the MV 88 that comes in the plus(+) kit seems to have different input ...3.5mm plug (?) than the standalone MV 88 mic that seems to have only the lightning connector as the input. Is this correct?

The 3.5mm plug is a headphone out. This was a design decision made when iPhones and iPads had both lightening ports and headphone jacks, so there wasn’t the need for an extra headphone jack.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
As lkingston wrote, that 3.5 isn't how the mic connects to your phone, that is only for a headphone jack so you can monitor what the mic is picking up. This would be good for using the kit for vlogging, and knowing that you are getting audio. I don't see much use for it for music videos, unless you have the advantage of having someone else doing the video for you... seems that most of us are a one-person show.

There are two cables that come with the MV88+ Video Kit: one with a lightning connector for your iPhone and the other with a USB-C connector for some Android phones.

With a lightning connector extension cable, you could still move the mic off the phone with the previous model MV88 (no +).
Old 04-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve read the entire thread and watched the videos. Thanks to all for sharing an informative process and your talents. I’ve been reading other such threads in this subforum as well as product details at the Shure website and after looking at a number of other possible solutions as an entry-level/novice, the MV88+ kit seems like it might be the best option for me. I’ll be recording just acoustic guitar and vocals without amps or external mics.

Some questions...

- When detaching the mic from the stand to position it closer to guitar/vocal using an extension cable (such flexibility seems quite desirable), how easy does its design allow for proper, secure placement? The Blue Raspberry, though it doesn’t mount directly on the recording device, has a built-in stand to facilitate tabletop support whereas none of the others I’ve seen have any form of built-in support. The Zoom iQ6/7 certainly doesn’t and there’s no such accessory available. A separate tabletop mic stand would work for some, like the MV88.
- is it to get The MV88 is supported by an app...is that what you’re using and if not, what are you opting for?
- I saw no mention of effects on the website. You can apply reverb, etc., right?
- In addition to video/audio recording to upload to YouTube, can you record just audio in proper format for upload to sites like SoundCloud? I assume so, but want to be sure.

Thanks!

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-23-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:07 PM

I too read this whole thread and decided on the Blue Raspberry mic, because it had volume controls for the mic and headphones right there on the mic. Plus I found one on eBay for about $100 with tax, which is significantly less expensive than the MV 88+, but still delivers a quality sound. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday, so we'll see....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve read the entire thread and watched the videos. Thanks to all for sharing an informative process and your talents. I’ve been reading other such threads in this subforum as well as product details at the Shure website and after looking at a number of other possible solutions as an entry-level/novice, the MV88+ kit seems like it might be the best option for me. I’ll be recording just acoustic guitar and vocals without amps or external mics.

Some questions...

- When detaching the mic from the stand to position it closer to guitar/vocal using an extension cable (such flexibility seems quite desirable), how easy does its design allow for proper, secure placement? The Blue Raspberry, though it doesn’t mount directly on the recording device, has a built-in stand to facilitate tabletop support whereas none of the others I’ve seen have any form of built-in support. The Zoom iQ6/7 certainly doesn’t and there’s no such accessory available. A separate tabletop mic stand would work for some, like the MV88.
- is it to get The MV88 is supported by an app...is that what you’re using and if not, what are you opting for?
- I saw no mention of effects on the website. You can apply reverb, etc., right?
- In addition to video/audio recording to upload to YouTube, can you record just audio in proper format for upload to sites like SoundCloud? I assume so, but want to be sure.

Thanks!
Hi Tom,

I'll try to answer your questions, keeping in mind that I am only about 2 weeks in with the MV88+.

Regarding mic placement: the mic clip has a cold shoe type mount. It is a smart design, but isn't an "every application" solution. The "kit" that is part of the MV88+ is great for holding just the mic. I have another small tripod with a phone-holder, so the phone and mic can each have their own small tripod - it makes positioning a snap. The 6' lightning connector extension cable really expands placement options. The cable that comes with the kit is less than a foot long.

The MV88+ is supported with a video app and an audio app. Getting ahead here, yes, you can use the kit for audio only. The Shure Motiv video app allows you to set the microphone for the parameters you prefer, and that setting stays with the mic. If you change from the app to the phone's video, the mic settings stay. I just did that today, and will have a post with it when I'm done with this one.

There are no effects such as reverb with the app. There are several settings (spoken word, singing, flat, acoustic guitar, and loud (for amplified situations, also something I did earlier today). There are adjustments to the polar patterns with the mic, from narrow to wide, a cardioid, and left/right (good for an interview situation or perhaps two singers using a centered mic). Adjustable EQ.

The recording format has some adjustments, but you should have no issue with uploading it to SoundCloud.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
IThe Blue Raspberry, though it doesn’t mount directly on the recording device, has a built-in stand to facilitate tabletop support whereas none of the others I’ve seen have any form of built-in support.
Just a note that you can also mount the Raspberry on a mic stand - it unscrews from the table stand, and with an adaptor (I think one comes with it, but I forget, since I have some of these anyway), it fits on a normal mic stand, which is much better for dialing in precise placement than just sitting on a desktop. But the desktop stand is handy as well, if you want to use it that way. (I'm talking entirely about the Raspberry here, not the Shure mic)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I have had some other music things going on, plus daily life, but I took time today to try a few things with the MV88+. Once again, I closed miced with my Bose S1 Pro, using the 6' lightning connector extension cable. I used the mini tripod with the kit to hold the mic about 6 to 8" from the front of the S1. I put my phone on another small tripod with a Quad Lock phone holder. Easy.

I was interested to see how it worked using the phone's video function instead of the Motiv Video app. The interest in that is the Motiv app doesn't allow for the different lens options with the iPhone 11 Pro. Works great - the mic settings you put in with the Motiv app stay with the mic.

Also, I wanted to use the "good side" of the phone's camera, which meant the screen was facing away from me. Using my Apple Watch, I could check the cropping/view and start and stop the video. The Motiv app doesn't have anything for the Apple Watch, thus the reason for using the phone's camera funtion.

I'm happy to report it all went well. Here's what I shot today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ig...ature=youtu.be

I had used a Loudbox Mini amp on some previous videos, and the Bose S1 is much better to my ears. I had the S1 to my left and on the floor, so very little room noise being picked up. Guitar and vocal mic plugged in directly to the S1, no pedals or effects - I generally use a Play Acoustic when playing out, but this was easy, fast, and no additional cords. I used a wireless setup for the guitar, mic directly into the S1, each channel on the appropriate Tonematch.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for the info, Jim and Doug. Much appreciated.

So, no reverb or other effects offered with the Shure. That seems odd don’t you think? Does anyone know if this is also the case with other brands?
Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

You’re getting better and better at figuring out what works best, Jim. I think this take is the best yet...quite good. One thing though...there seems to be a scratch/thump sound seemingly coming from the guitar. Can you hear it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD