The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2020, 11:14 PM

Thank you Earl for this thread, although it puts me on edge. I recently sold a standard X7 version 2 which I loved, because I have been looking forward to getting the standard X7 version 3 which seems like a significant upgrade. I have had some disappointment in a couple of custom Emeralds I bought. I blame myself rather than Emerald. My disappointments I attribute to the customizations I requested -- I learned I'm not a luthier.

Earl's minimal customization doesn't explain to me the tone differences he has. I'd like to hear from Emerald on Earl's issues regarding potential changes in tone for their standard offerings.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:24 AM

Jim, I would also like to hear more detailed explanations of what changed and why the new tone is so different. I have reported all of the dialogue and information received so far. Simon's comments about variability on the previous page were quite interesting. As I said up front, my expectation was that the same model coming out of the same mold using the same lay-up process.... would sound essentially the same as any other. Simon suggests that there is a fair amount of tonal variation in normal production.

Perhaps a person nervously contemplating a custom order could get a similar stock model to try and send it back within the one-week return period. That will cost about $225 in shipping both ways, and would be a considerable hassle for both the customer and Emerald too. That may not be the optimum path, but I don't have any better suggestions.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Hopefully, when they introduced the new X20, they didn't "break the mould" for the old X20 (no pun intended, however, it was unavoidable in this case).
Pun appreciated!
And I caught the UK "mould" versus US "mold" too.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM

I can report some limited progress. I put on a set of GHS Silk & Bronze lights (54-12) yesterday. Those are almost the mellowest set according to the GHS web site. After playing for an hour, I did not have the "fingernails on a chalkboard" ear fatigue from the harsh character of the new guitar. It still is not nearly as mellow and rich sounding as the old X20 (or the other Emeralds here) but it is getting closer. These strings need a week or two to see how they settle and last, but there is finally some hope now.

I have also been through two rounds of filing down the nut slots and it is getting more playable each time. Candidly, they did not do a particularly good job with the nut during final setup. I took down some of the slots by 40 thousandths! Using feeler gauges and careful measurements -- and going VERY slow -- I now have all the nut slots within a couple thousandths in depth compared to my original X20 that plays very well. But the effort has taken hours. The nut is definitely glued in - I'm afraid to hit it any harder with a wood block -- so I cannot get it out without possibly breaking it. I need to ask Kevin what they use to glue in the black Tusq nuts. Whatever it is, they either used a lot, or it is one powerful adhesive.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Just a caveat that people shouldn’t go too far with trying to generalize Earl49’s detailed and honest impressions of his new custom X20 to necessarily extend to the new standard X20. They may sound quite similar and, then again, they might not. Keeping in mind the fact that the very talented Johnny Gallagher is an Emerald endorser, Johnny, on video, does describe the new X20 as “still the X20.” At that point, Alistair chimes in(I’m paraphrasing here), saying that they weren’t looking to make any drastic changes to their most successful design.

It would be interesting to hear Byudzai’s thoughts on the subject.
My subjective impression is that my new X20 sounds much better than the padauk one I got in 2018 -- but I don't have the padauk any more to compare, and don't trust my subjective impressions very much when it comes to guitar tone.

The only head-to-head I've done with X20s is my padauk X20 vs Jim's green weave X20 -- his blew mine away on sound.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
There is a lot of variation between even two identical guitars at Emerald, and constant changes going on.
Quote:
.....Alistair chimes in (I’m paraphrasing here), saying that they weren’t looking to make any drastic changes to their most successful design.
I added emphasis to Simon's quote above. Noticeable tonal variance between individual examples was not something that I expected, and there were five examples in the house already. There was a great deal of confidence about what I would be getting.

Alistair's comment notwithstanding, I can say for sure that my 2020 custom X20 (the only customization being a shorter scale) is FAR different from my 2016 stock model. We're talking silk versus burlap, or as previously described a rosewood Martin versus a maple Taylor. The distinction is easily perceived even by casual listeners and is obvious. Maybe my new guitar is an outlier or something happened during the build - I sure hope so for Emerald's sake.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I sure hope so for Emerald's sake.
Emerald has always stood behind their guitars, so maybe it is worth shipping it back across the pond and have the Emerald team evaluate?
Old 12-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Emerald has always stood behind their guitars, so maybe it is worth shipping it back across the pond and have the Emerald team evaluate?
+1! See if you can make a mutually agreed arrangement with Emerald on achieving your X20 satisfaction.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
+1! See if you can make a mutually agreed arrangement with Emerald on achieving your X20 satisfaction.
It is a custom order and custom orders are non-returnable (barring an exception from Emerald). I would think carbon guitars would be a lot more consistent but apparently not.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It is a custom order and custom orders are non-returnable (barring an exception from Emerald).
That's what's to consider and is what Emerald will address to our fellow AGFer's satisfaction. He won't know unless he asks ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-22-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can report some limited progress. I put on a set of GHS Silk & Bronze lights (54-12) yesterday. Those are almost the mellowest set according to the GHS web site. After playing for an hour, I did not have the "fingernails on a chalkboard" ear fatigue from the harsh character of the new guitar. It still is not nearly as mellow and rich sounding as the old X20 (or the other Emeralds here) but it is getting closer. These strings need a week or two to see how they settle and last, but there is finally some hope now.

I have also been through two rounds of filing down the nut slots and it is getting more playable each time. Candidly, they did not do a particularly good job with the nut during final setup. I took down some of the slots by 40 thousandths! Using feeler gauges and careful measurements -- and going VERY slow -- I now have all the nut slots within a couple thousandths in depth compared to my original X20 that plays very well. But the effort has taken hours. The nut is definitely glued in - I'm afraid to hit it any harder with a wood block -- so I cannot get it out without possibly breaking it. I need to ask Kevin what they use to glue in the black Tusq nuts. Whatever it is, they either used a lot, or it is one powerful adhesive.
Earl,

Consider giving Thomastik Infeld Plectrums a try. I've got them currently on my 2017 X-20 and I use them a lot on my wood guitars. They are not the loudest strings but they have excellent feel and string to string balance. I go back and forth between the 12-59's and the 11-50's. They are pricey but for my hand chemistry, I always get 3-4 months out of a set.

I was not thrilled by the tone of my X-20 when I got it last summer but I probably set the bar a bit high comparing it to my wood guitars. With the Plectrums, I've made up some hybrid sets. On the 11-50's I'll replace the 11-14 E and B plain steel strings with 12-16's (typically buy some John Pearse plain steels as they are less than $2 each). I do the same with the 12-59 set, I'll replace the low E 59 with a 52 or 54. The set on the guitar right now is the hybrid 12-50 set and it just sounds lovely.

I was in the same position as you as my other carbon guitar was a Rainsong that I liked a lot. But I really love the aesthetics and ergonomics of the X-20 and I believe I finally found a string solution that makes me happy and willing to part with the Rainsong. Hope you get the same result.

Cheers,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
That's what's to consider and is what Emerald will address to our fellow AGFer's satisfaction. He won't know unless he asks ...
I have not explicitly asked for an exception from their "no return" policy on customs, and despite my hints they have not offered. If they offered a return - even with some reasonable restocking fee - it would be boxed up the next day for a trip back to Donegal. Perhaps I should ask, but I'm trying to be nice - Emerald has been good to me over the years. It just is not clear that this guitar will ever truly be satisfactory -- to me. And I would love to hear what they think with guitar in hand after hearing my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Consider giving Thomastik Infeld Plectrums a try.
Thanks Bob, I will do that. My first pass was with strings that I could get easily and reliably. I did not want to be stuck using Unobtanium strings.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob, I will do that. My first pass was with strings that I could get easily and reliably. I did not want to be stuck using Unobtanium strings.
Just Strings and Strings and Beyond typically stock TI. You play mostly fingerstyle and when you flatpick it sounds like you are not hitting the strings hard. I think these strings really excel for fingerstyle.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I have not explicitly asked for an exception from their "no return" policy on customs, and despite my hints they have not offered. If they offered a return - even with some reasonable restocking fee - it would be boxed up the next day for a trip back to Donegal. Perhaps I should ask, but I'm trying to be nice - Emerald has been good to me over the years. It just is not clear that this guitar will ever truly be satisfactory -- to me. And I would love to hear what they think with guitar in hand after hearing my comments.
Custom or not, if the guitar isn't up to snuff I am sure Alastair would be interested in examining it and providing his input. As a not insignificant purchase, worth the shipping cost to get it looked it....just my humble opinion.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I did not want to be stuck using Unobtanium strings.
Earl this is great! I agree with you, and you should market and package these Unobtanium strings you speak of for $50 a set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber