The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-11-2021, 06:37 PM

Default Repair shop in Beijing

Moved to Beijing where it is ultra dry right now (20%) and the frets of my nylon Ovation are sticking out, quite sharp. Need help to file them and dress them nicely.
But I am having difficulties finding a guitar repair shop here. Sent a few emails to placees I found on the internet, but nothing came back.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Carlos
Old 01-16-2021, 02:24 PM

Carlos, it is relatively easy to file down the sharp fret ends yourself with a little care, if you have a fine or medium grade flat file. I put two layers of masking tape on the body / top near the neck heel and at the peg head near the tuning buttons, just in case. Holding the file at a roughly 45° angle, carefully file down the sharp frets ends with smooth strokes along the fret board, being careful not to remove wood (or touch the binding materials if you have them). You can feel less resistance when the metal is gone. I've done this several times while the guitar is still dry and sharp ends never reappear when the guitar is properly re-hydrated.

I waited for a real luthier to answer you, instead of an amateur hacker like me.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Carlos, it is relatively easy to file down the sharp fret ends yourself with a little care...
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I am aware of that. Still, I would rather have an expert tech doing this. I don't have a file. I don't have masking tape. And have never done this. I understand many people do this themselves. Without all the necessary tools, however, I doubt the result is any good. I will need files of different grades, and then polishing, and then... You see. I'd rather send it to someone and get it back perfect. Having said that, here in Beijing seems very difficult. I don't find any guitar tech, let alone a luthier. Am I the only guitarist in this city of 22 million people?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:01 AM

GuGu Music 谷谷音乐体验中心 Daily, 10am-9pm, Room 102, B1, Qiangyou Dasha, Bldg 32 Minwangyuan, Dongcheng district (200 meters north of Erhuan Xiaojie Qiao near Lama Temple), 645 2013, www.gugu123.com. 北京市东城区民旺园32号楼强佑大厦B1层102室 (二环小街桥北200米路东)

https://4allmusic.com/other-countrie...luthiers-china
Old 01-17-2021, 01:14 AM

[QUOTE=charles Tauber;6606770]

Thanks. But those links are no longer active. GuGu123 is dead and RJ Fang is something totally different (KTV looks like).

Can't believe there isn't any guitar shop in this city....
Old 01-17-2021, 01:00 PM

Default Alternately...

You might explore fine craftwork technicians in your area. Even if they are not luthiers, they will have the tools ( and the confidence ) to approach your job without a lot of risk, especially if they can access YouTube videos, for reference prior to the task. YMMV. Respects, JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair