The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-15-2021, 03:40 PM

Default String rattle/buzz, what could it be?

Hello people!

I have a Taylor 324e that makes a funny rattle/buzz around the bridge area (it seems to me its coming from the bridge at least). I have tried changing the saddle and the nut and humidifying the guitar but it seems the problem is probably elsewhere. I have also changed strings a few times. I used to have d'addario 0.012 but have now switched to elixir with the same gauge. The truss rod relief is ok from what I understand and the action on low E is around 2.3 mm I would say.

Here is a shared video with the sound:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BUo...ew?usp=sharing

I am a beginner when it comes to guitar tech so any ideas/help would be appreciated. I should also say that the buzz/rattle moves around, it is not centered around just one fret or so, but its generally below the 7th fret towards the first fret. It it also only heard from the three heavier strings: low E, A and D-string, also played open. As heard from the video the buzz also comes after the sound of the tone so it must be some part resonating or something? I should also say that I've disconnected and picked out the microphone aswell as taped up the other cable inside of the guitar.

Hope you have any ideas and are eager to help!

Thanks in advance - Karl-Wilhelm
Old 01-16-2021, 12:09 PM

The sound you are bothered by is sometimes called "next-fret buzz." It's the string hitting the fret above the one where it's being fretted.

The most obvious problem is that you are pulling the strings up when you pick them. That is a technique players use when they want to hear the string slapping the frets, but should not be your regular way of picking with your thumb. You can probably find some online instruction about thumb technique.

Next, if the buzz is heard all the way from the nut to the 7th fret but not above the 7th fret (your video has the capo at the sixth fret, right?) then you need more relief.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair