The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49;6583290
I did not want to be stuck using [I
Unobtanium[/I] strings.
I use those on my Sable, so let me know if you need to move them....
Old 12-23-2020, 01:16 PM

JD, I don't have any TI's yet so there is nothing to pass along. My approach was to try the strings that are easy to source locally, rather than something exotic or unusual (to me). Once the holidays are over I might place another string order to try TI and flat wound strings. No point in adding to the holiday shipping madness.

On the other topic, I sent an email yesterday with a question about the nut and got an auto-reply saying that Emerald is basically closed for the holidays until JAN 4th. No answers will be forthcoming either way until then.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
JD, I don't have any TI's yet so there is nothing to pass along. My approach was to try the strings that are easy to source locally, rather than something exotic or unusual (to me). Once the holidays are over I might place another string order to try TI and flat wound strings. No point in adding to the holiday shipping madness.

On the other topic, I sent an email yesterday with a question about the nut and got an auto-reply saying that Emerald is basically closed for the holidays until JAN 4th. No answers will be forthcoming either way until then.
I have a good feeling all will work out well for you, Earl!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm sorry Earl, that was a weak attempt at humor, I meant that I use the unobtaniums on the Sable. I agree with Spruce Top....if anybody can get it, it will be you. Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Thanks guys. I caught the humor, and still hold out hope for a successful union of player and guitar. I have a few days to evaluate the Silk & Bronze strings before trying yet another type (probably EFT-16 flat wounds next) before I can expect any answers from Emerald on JAN 04.

Merry Christmas to all! Maybe I should set my red X30 between the green X20's as holiday decoration??
Old 12-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Merry Christmas to all! Maybe I should set my red X30 between the green X20's as holiday decoration??
Sounds festive! Merry Christmas, Earl and Alice!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:58 AM

And Merry Merry to you, Joan, Rufus, Dan and Steph. Good to see you back on the scooter, even if only briefly.

I just clicked on "order" for a couple of sets of SUS (Straight Up Stings) which were recommended to me. Playing guitar will be a big part of my day today, interspersed with calls to family and friends around the country.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And Merry Merry to you, Joan, Rufus, Dan and Steph. Good to see you back on the scooter, even if only briefly.

I just clicked on "order" for a couple of sets of SUS (Straight Up Stings) which were recommended to me. Playing guitar will be a big part of my day today, interspersed with calls to family and friends around the country.
Making some music on Christmas Day makes the day more joyous. Enjoy!
Old 02-17-2021, 05:16 PM

Further update:

I have now tried seven different types of strings on this guitar, gradually heading toward mellower voices. The best so far has been GHS Silk & Bronze, but there are at least five other types ready to test like Monels and TI Plectrums. Silk & Bronze noticeably mellowed the tone compared to anything else. The original black Tusq saddle was swapped for a bone saddle, which helped considerably too -- which was surprising. I had figured that harder bone material would result in a crisper sound than plastic Tusq, but that was not the case. With the same strings the bone saddle was noticeably mellower.

The really weird part here is that the replacement bone saddle had come from an old guitar that had a UST pickup element, so it was 1/8" too short and needed to be shimmed up. In my spare parts and tools box was a rubber band, coincidentally almost exactly the width of the saddle slot and the thickness that was needed. Being an engineer who specializes in noise control & vibration, I know that rubber mounts and pads selectively isolate higher frequencies, but readily pass the lows - almost exactly what I wanted to achieve here. Long story short, it is now a pretty decent sounding finger picking guitar (bare nails) but still a bit bright for strumming with a flat pick - at least to my ear. I can now describe it honestly as having a voice similar to an all-koa Taylor. Most people would call it decent tone, especially if they did not hear it directly compared to my older stock X20.

The experiment will continue with different string alloys and gauges, trying to get two weeks on each set. I;m also working with different flat picks. Investigation might even progress beyond that to temporarily adding point masses (using pairs of neodymium magnets) or damping compounds like putty added to the top in key areas, to modify the natural vibration patterns. I can also experiment with some temporary internal bracing between the top and back to further tweak the tone. At some point, I will stumble across the right combo that works. But it is getting closer....

Some of these posts are repeats from the "mellow string type" thread, but I figured the comments should probably be here too, for closure.

Last edited by Earl49; 02-17-2021 at 05:57 PM. Reason: tpyo fixxed
Old 02-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the update Earl, I am following this thread with interest
Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 AM

After flat picking for an hour last night -- it still is way too bright, even with the best strings found so far. I still have a few things left to try but my hope is fading, if it is to be a general purpose guitar and not limited to just finger style. Finger picking is OK, but still not as good as the other Emerald guitars that I own or other CF brands here too.

Eventually this guitar will be sold to someone else, and it will be out there forever representing their work.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eventually this guitar will be sold to someone else, and it will be out there forever representing their work.
From the other ads, you may make some $$$ off selling it. LOL
Old 02-21-2021, 11:14 AM

Unless I say why I am selling it. That has already killed two potential sales from local CL. But I don't want to mislead anyone, and if they ask.... my character compels me to answer honestly.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unless I say why I am selling it. That has already killed two potential sales from local CL. But I don't want to mislead anyone, and if they ask.... my character compels me to answer honestly.
Never a doubt in my mind that you would handle it like that. I hope you do well with it. Or at least "OK"
Old 02-21-2021, 12:11 PM

Earl-Some people like a bright guitar. Others buying sight unseen have no prior knowledge or experience with Emeralds and therefore no expectation. It certainly isn’t brighter than a RainSong? [emoji3]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber