The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
[...] A common goal that I have for all of my instruments, and which I think of as the true frontier for the acoustic guitar, is to have all of the notes in every octave have as close to the same tonal and volume value as possible. The point of this being that when played, the player has a level and fluid palette to work with, so that little or no compensation or modification of attack is required to get smooth and full harmonic content. If the guitar is also loud and sounds fantastic, that much the better, but it is this extreme playability that can be elusive, and it is the mark of a truly worthy tool.
[...]
Thanks Bruce! If there's a bible of the acoustic guitar, this would be the preface for sure.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM

I really liked the sound clip of this Pernambuco L00, it sounded sublime. Nice bit of noodling Bruce, very easy on the ear and showcasing the guitar's talents successfully. I am intrigued by the short-scale FT-00-JB (WRX) on your website, is it the custom features that contribute to its affordability?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
I really liked the sound clip of this Pernambuco L00, it sounded sublime. Nice bit of noodling Bruce, very easy on the ear and showcasing the guitar's talents successfully. I am intrigued by the short-scale FT-00-JB (WRX) on your website, is it the custom features that contribute to its affordability?
WRX is the main thing that lowers the price on the guitar you mention, Dennis. It is made without any upgrades except the MultiScale and the installed Schertler BlueStick PU. And of course it IS preowned. What I simply cannot communicate in the written word is how successful this little wonder is. By successful I mean that despite its' short string lengths it is a full on contender in the rarefied atmosphere of defending the Sexauer reputation both for tone AND for volume.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default I've played it,

And yes. Just yes.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 AM

My new L00 is as vibrant and resposive as can be. Holding it it picked up the talking of friends.,It picks up the vibrations of the talkers.The whole guitar vibrates. I play with a lite pick and the notes just ring and ring. My friend Rick wanted to buy it on the spot at a local guitar show sunday.Now I am a pernambuco fan forever after playing my new little buddy.Note separation, beautiful but not overbearing bass and evenness across all the strings. and more than sufficient volume is present... I love it.

Last edited by frquent flyer; 05-05-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Default The Music Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
My new L00 is as vibrant and resposive as can be. Holding it it picked up the talking of friends.,It picks up the vibrations of the talkers.The whole guitar vibrates. I play with a lite pick and the notes just ring and ring. My friend Rick wanted to buy it on the spot at a local guitar show sunday.Now I am a pernambuco fan forever after playing my new little buddy.Note separation, beautiful but not overbearing bass and evenness across all the strings. and more than sufficient volume is present... I love it.
It comes to no surprise to me that you love your new pernambuco L00 by Bruce. Pernambuco is known as the "Music Tree" for a very good reason. There is actually a very interesting documentary that was made called A Árvore da Música or "The Music Tree" in English about it essential use in bow making. Here is a sampling from it.

Enjoy your new guitar and I hope that you find the music that awaits inside of it.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

I wish I had more first quality pernambuco that I do. I have made 16 guitars from it, I think, and I have enough for just 7 more. I have absolutely no doubt that if our civilization survives long enough for historians to document this second golden age of the acoustic guitar, there will be a chapter on the pernambuco guitars that just a few of us have been able to make. They will necessarily be the rarest of the rare, most people will never even see one, but they are the creme de la creme!

On a harsher note, my new price structure becomes effective in just over a week.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-05-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 PM

Bruce! Your passion is electrifyingly contagious.....to the point that an absolute NOVICE like me is chasing the pernambuco bus. I have 2 flatsawn 5 ish" wide boards coming my way. So this is just a hello and a thanks for taking my phone call the other day and advising me.

I'll leave you with your own quote from umgf in 2008 re: the music tree. It really conveys to me what I've have come to believe you are all about: "so being pretty much out of control where wood curiosity in guitar use is concerned, I built (a pernambuco guitar) last year..."......for joe satriani I might add! But man your enthusiasm for wood and guitars makes me happy. Thanks again.

Sam

Ps here's a pic of what's coming. Hope it works!!??
P by samvanlan, on Flickr
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

You're welcome, Sam, but I must make one niggling little point in the interest of historical accuracy. I did NOT build a guitar for Joe Satriani. Joe did purchase my first pernambuco guitar from me, but it already existed, he merely chose to have it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I did a photo session today with a neighbor of mine who has a camera with a resolution so high they don't apparently have a number for it. Can you see any difference in these 20K files made from his 200M images? This is the Mini-D I'm bringing to Memphis. . . and a vanity shot. I do wish I had had these to submit for the Memphis program!

I am holding the flatsawn pernambuco L00, which, since it is still mine, I may bring to the show as well.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

It never rains but it pours! Well, if only, here in California. But what I mean is that there are two serious photogs on my block, and both of them, apparently independently, took it upon themselves to offer their services on consecutive days. One seems to have the technical edge, the other the artistic edge. Here is the work of Thom Hooke:

Old 05-08-2015, 02:19 PM

The Hooke photo of you, Bruce, thoroughly mirrors the complexities of sounds I hear every time I play one of my Sexauer guitars. I find that image to be a marvelous piece of work, just as I find your guitars.

As an aside, I personally haven't had a photo taken of me that I like since a baby shot in 1948. With that said, if I lived in California, I'd visit Hooke and get a portrait done because he obviously knows how to capture the essence of a man and his life and work with an image.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Default photo

Agreed. Being something of a photographer, the Hooke photo is very special, for what it says, not just because it is B&W. On the surface, it is not flattering to you, it makes you look tired, but it keeps one looking at it. When I look deeper, what I see is that you are tired because of the years of the work and love that went into what you are holding, that you gave it your all - and that photo ends up like a visual summation of your life's work. It's a definite keeper and deserves a prominent spot on the wall.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default A great shot,

Character everywhere.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM

I don't see tired in the photo but, I live life on my terms.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop