The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ericay View Post
Hi Tuff.
1. I grew to hate this song-if only you could turn down the volume of the singing so you could hear the guitar more! At the time I was taking guitar lessons, and when people asked how I was getting on the answer was always ******** John Barleycorn.
The singing comes out of one channel and the guitar out of the other channel through the stereo signal. If you are able to alter the balance you can listen to guitar only. I'm assuming you are listening to the CD that comes with the Contemporary Art of Fingerpicking by Mark Hanson?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Red face

Doh !!!!!!!!
I've been using a portable stereo without a balance control to play the cd-as recommended by Homer Simpson who knows all about these things.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ericay View Post
Doh !!!!!!!!
I've been using a portable stereo without a balance control to play the cd-as recommended by Homer Simpson who knows all about these things.

Thanks for the info.
After discovering that the state of the art iPod is unable to adjust balance, I just removed one of the ear pieces to get the appropriate channel!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 AM

Hi Tuff Gong,

I am also working thru Travis Picking book, learning the basic O/I and I/O patterns.
I observed the same thing as you - the I/O is slightly less intuitive for me and when I have rapid chords changes in the songs I also tend to slip into the O/I pattern subconsciously.

But I found that if I concentrate some more and slow down and think thumb INDEX thumb MIDDLE then it helps. After a few sessions of dillgent I/O practice it is already getting more natural and automatic and I slip into O/I less and less.
I am also starting to be able to change the patterns at will mid song - so the practice pays off.

My take is that those are the basic motor skills so it is really good to have them down cold and be able to switch to wchichever pattern is needed whenever you want.
It really makes playing of more complex fingerstyle tunes easier.

I learned it the hard way, as I learned a few fingerstyle songs but w/o knowing the basic patterns beforehand. So the learning was very slow and tedious. And I find it difficult to make my fingers go with the flow when learnign new songs. My brain can see the patterns and regularities, but the fingers do not follow...

So I decided to go back to the basic stuff and really practice and solidify the patterns and work on thumb independence - i can already see the benefits for my fingerstyle playing (even this early in the book).

So I would say - do not practice what is easy, practice what is difficult. If you are having difficulty now with two finger patterns, imagine what will happen when you will reach the stage where all the fingers are involved
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi Odie,

I'm glad that you are making good progress. I also tried to put the cart before the horse as it were by trying to learn fingerpicking songs before getting to grips with the basics. I struggled for weeks with "Landslide" and then decided to run up the white flag and get the book.

What has helped me since posing the original question last week is taking the good advive of the other guitarists on here and really breaking things own into difficult sections (i.e. difficult for me) and practicing over and over e.g. where you get two chords in one bar in "John Barleycorn" such as G to EM.

I now use my metronome all the time and I either count thumb-INDEX-thumb-MIDDLE or else 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 where there are eighth notes and, sure enough, it is coming on slowly. I think I'll be stuck with Sloop John B and John Barleycorn a little while longer but at last I am managing to keep both patterns separate unless I intentionally try and switch them. I'm now looking forward to the pinch patterns which I am sure will throw up their own challenges.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Try also to play some of the suggestions from the book such as el condor pasa, country roads, streets of london, boxer, sound of silence, etc - anything is good as long as it is in 4/4 or 2/4

They break the monotony of the practice, spice it up a little and let you practice other chord changes than Sloop and Barleycorn.

Actualy you may find these songs easier to play than Barleycorn initially...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write