The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Default zoom h4n

Is it possible to record one (acoustic) guitar song, with the mics of the Zoom, a external mic and line in of the guitar so that i have three separate tracks?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Yes I believe you can do what you want. You would use the built in mics, and one each of the two external mic inputs located on the bottom of the unit. One for your guitar and the other for your external mic. You will end up with muiltiple files that you will combine using something like audacity.

Last edited by wooglins; 04-03-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
Yes I believe you can do what you want.
okay, that's nice but how must i do that?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Edited post to add small amount of detail.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roelioo View Post
Is it possible to record one (acoustic) guitar song, with the mics of the Zoom, a external mic and line in of the guitar so that i have three separate tracks?
Yes, in 4CHmode. Your two inputs (external mic and line in) are output together as a stereo track. So you'll have two stereo tracks to edit, the two zoom mics (stereo track 1) and two inputs (stereo track 2). Then you can split the stereo tracks into four separate tracks at the editing stage. I usually leave the zoom mics as a stereo track, but split the input tracks separately (which is what I think you're asking about).
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM

I just started playing with mine last weekend. There's a feature that permits you record on all 4 tracks at once. I think the 4 tracks are the 2 built in mics and the two inputs under the unit. If you put something into the little pin plug in the top backside (near the mics) of the unit it's my recollection that would cancel out the 2 built in mics, so you shouldn't use that input.

Hit the menu button on the right (I think that's what it's called); then scroll down to "mode". In "mode" you will come to a screen that wil have 3 choices: "Stereo" "MTR" (which is the sound on sound recording feature allowing you to record multiple tracks and to bounce them down and continue recording more tracks) and a third choice, the name of which I don't recall (I'm at work, so I don't have the recorder here); I believe that 3rd choice is the one you want for simultaneous 4 track recording.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 AM

Default zOOM H4N

Thank you Brain W: I will try to seperate the stereotrack from the two inputs.

Thank you CozyCostello: I will also try that feature.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD