The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Well , I got my Zero Glide today and spent about 2 hours fitting it to my OF660.
I did need to sand down the height a little bit. I also noticed when measuring with a caliper that the original Nut height was slightly lower towards the high E. I match the measurements of the original nut and chose the taller fret as suggested. Installation was not very difficult, just time consuming.
Results: Well, I'm not sure I could tell a big difference in tone on open strings Still sounded good to my ears . As far as increased play ability, the jury is still out. I may try the next size down fret and see if any buzz. I haven't glued anything in place yet.The original set up was pretty good to start with. Anyone else install one yet?
Old 03-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Anyone else install one yet?
Just waiting to see/read what you think.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Just waiting to see/read what you think.
Well, the taller fret is the correct one for me after carefully matching the height of the original nut. Maybe I don't notice any better playability right off is because the original nut was set up so well. The good news is that the nut only seems to act as a string guide and there is no possibility of any binding while tuning. Still pondering.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I match the measurements of the original nut and chose the taller fret as suggested. Installation was not very difficult, just time consuming.
Results: Well, I'm not sure I could tell a big difference in tone on open strings Still sounded good to my ears . As far as increased play ability, the jury is still out. I may try the next size down fret and see if any buzz. I haven't glued anything in place yet.The original set up was pretty good to start with. Anyone else install one yet?
Wow, sorry to hear that you didn’t notice much improvement as I had perceived on mine.... like you’ve said, it’s time consuming, so sorry to eat up couple of hours of your time.

As for installation, I didn’t match the original nut, but sanded the bottom of zero glide until it sat nicely, so that that the 1st fret “step” on the nut was level with the fret board. The nut fret should sit just like other frets, not too high and sticking above the fretboard, or too low and have loose fret.

Mine of660 stock nut was cut perfectly as well, it played nice before, just better now.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that you didn’t notice much improvement as I had perceived on mine.... like you’ve said, it’s time consuming, so sorry to eat up couple of hours of your time.

As for installation, I didn’t match the original nut, but sanded the bottom of zero glide until it sat nicely, so that that the 1st fret “step” on the nut was level with the fret board. The nut fret should sit just like other frets, not too high and sticking above the fretboard, or too low and have loose fret.

Mine of660 stock nut was cut perfectly as well, it played nice before, just better now.
the 1st fret “step” on the nut was level with the fret board. The nut fret should sit just like other frets, not too high and sticking above the fretboard, or too low and have loose fret.

That is the way mine sits as well.
I enjoyed fitting the zero glide, I just can't say there is a marked improvement. The original set up was pretty good.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

My understanding is that a zero fret does not really change tone or projection--it replaces the nut with a precise set. I could be wrong (but doubt it).
Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
My understanding is that a zero fret does not really change tone or projection--it replaces the nut with a precise set. I could be wrong (but doubt it).
I didn't expect a change in tone or projection. I did think perhaps it would as Crab put it, like going from light strings to extra light. Alas , I can't tell a difference for me anyway. I do like the precise set as you say and the fact that there is no chance of binding in the nut. All in all I'm glad I put one on.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 AM

Just sanding down my Zero Glide nut for my own OF660 ordered months ago.

Checking the site for more instructions, I noticed they started offering stainless steel replacement frets!

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/zerog....php?cat=frets

Journey doesn't do stainless frets, so I'll stay with what came with the original Zero Glide--but nice to know they are available.

Somewhere online I viewed a video showing a before and after of the same guitar using a nut and then the Zero Glide. Not mentioning easier playing or intonation, etc., just the sound difference (tone) was easily noticeable. Overall, open strings were brighter, livelier.

For an Emerald or Rainsong, that might not be a plus at all as they lean towards the brighter side, especially Rainsong. But for the OF660, which is more bassy--but still pretty balanced--I'm hoping it will be very good.

I should think that it could also please Cargo owners a lot since Cargos tend to lean toward very heavy bass and are darker than most guitars. The Zero Glide could be a good combination there adding a bit more brightness into the mix.

I'm now in the process of installing and see that the Zero Glide is basically a kit. Not plug in and play.

You buy the model closest to your guitar specs and then the nut and frets come a bit oversized so you must adjust by hand. Trimming and polishing the fret ends, sanding down the nut per instructions, is required. Finally fitting and gluing.

Still, I enjoy doing this on a limited basis and really look forward to trying out a slightly brighter sound added into the OF660 spectrum. I really like the OF660 like it is already, but maybe I will like this even better. And if not, it's simple to pop the original back into place and I'm out only about $15 or so.

Finally, if I really like the added brightness I hear, I might order the stainless steel frets just to see if it will add even more clarity into the mix. Again, a pretty cheap experiment.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:47 AM

Found the before-after comparison for the Cargo.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:59 PM

All this talk about the zero glide nuts compelled me to try one. The nuts on all my guitars are totally fine so I had a little internal debate with myself on which guitar I would put it on so in the end I opted to order and install one on my Les Paul. I ordered the "black delrin" to keep the aesthetic the same. I installed it myself, I took my time but it still took a lot longer than a normal nut but anyway when I was finished and tried the guitar I was very impressed. This is the first time I ever played a guitar with a zero fret. I don't think it looks out of place at all and I'm not sure if I'm imagining this but it seems to make the guitar play better. Might try one on an acoustic guitar in the near future.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

It's strange. A lot of the older, cheaper guitars had zero nuts. I think that on a new guitar the zero nuts are actually easier to install than the standard. It seems like they are coming into their own.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
It's strange. A lot of the older, cheaper guitars had zero nuts. I think that on a new guitar the zero nuts are actually easier to install than the standard. It seems like they are coming into their own.
Yeah I took my time to make sure that the top step was completely flush with the fretboard before I committed. It was certainly easy to install, just took a little longer than a normal nut. I definitely like the result and would certainly recommend them.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM

I installed mine on my OF660 with nothing glued and I really like it. The string tension easily holds it solid and I wanted a quick option to change back and forth if I wanted to do comparison. Yes, I realize that when removing the neck, which I seldom do, I need to be sure it doesn't drop out and get lost. But I'm not concerned that I will forget about it.

I also left the length of the zero fret a tad longer than normal. If there were ever wear on fret (I don't expect it, really) I could adjust the fret over a string diameter or less and it would rest on a new surface. I did all my finishing of the nut and the fret ends away from the guitar. It's simple to do it that way. You can always assemble it and add the drops of glue after everything is completely fitted.

The intonation on my OF660 has been the best of any guitar I've owned, except for an ultra expensive hand build I once had years ago. I was worried the Zero glide might somehow affect that, but if anything, it's even more spot on than before. I don't want to know why--I'm just very happy.

On my OF660 I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh locking 1:21's, switched the metal Gotoh buttons to lightweight ebony, installed the Zero Glide which is great, and then, I have aluminum spacers to create a pinless bridge.

Next up will be doubling the already thick spacers to pull the strings further into the body. This will be to reduce the visible amount of the wound portion that holds the ball ends in place. The string windings come close to the saddle but don't touch it. But this will be a very simple way to force them further back into the body a tad.

I like washers since they are not locked together as a single bar with holes as I would "think" it would be the least restrictive/hindering on the sound producing top. Not sure--but it is for sure not expensive to play with. I have the original version of the OF660 with the sound hole more centered and it is easy and unrestricted to put the strings in from underneath with the washers. I would be curious if that is still true with the current version with the sound hole moved up a little higher.

Last edited by ac; 03-24-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post

Hi AC, I like the look of those tuners! I think I prefer the shape of these over the stock Grover chrome. I've had Gotohs before and have never handled a nicer set of machines- literally the industry standard.

Was that a direct swap with no additional drilling etc.?

Would you mind posting a pic of the look on the back of the headstock?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:36 PM

Yes, they were a perfect swap. No drilling needed.

I did use the same screws that came with the Grovers instead of the ones that came with the Gotoh since the threads were not identical and I didn't want to strip anything out.

I've posted photos of the back somewhere on the forum a couple times. I'll look and get back to you in bit.

Found it in this thread
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...&postcount=170

Here's the image from the post-note the Grover screws, not the Gotoh black screws. If I need black--I'll use a marker pen :-)
(I've changed the ebony buttons to another shape since this photo):

I went for the Gotoh locking that had "everything", but actually, the adjustable post height simply isn't needed for the Journey at all, or, for most guitars, for that matter. It just adds more complexity than necessary. You can order the identical tuners without that feature.

Last edited by ac; 03-24-2019 at 12:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber