The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Default 1972 s. Yairi 9000

I've got a 1972 S. Yairi 9000 that I'm trying to put a value on. I've checked eBay but it is rare enough that i didn't find multiple reference points. Can any of you help me do this?

I know a fair amount about the guitar and S. Yairi (and his relationship to K. Yairi). I know the 9000 is a top of the line model. The guitar plays well and sound great.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Check old sales? I would guess 6-800 depending on condition. I'm sure there are more educated guessers amongst us. Post a pic, I love S Yairi.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM

From what I see, evidently exports and domestics were numbered differently...you say 9000 was top end, never saw one with that system in japan and I own quite a few old S. Yairis...oldest is dated 1961 on the label. I have one 1971 high end model, judged by the quality of the woods and fit and finish, I`d say it`s the one that probably sold for the most money originally of the ones I have and still, I only paid $100.oo with the original case. When Yairilover had her site I had some people say they thought I was lying about how little they actually sell for over here...not sure why I`d lie about that but this is the internet. As for the relationship between the Yairis, there are several theories in japan about that so I guess it depends on which one chooses to believe. Regardless, I love my Sada guitars.
I`ve seen several headstock shapes and labels over the years....does yours have any small hand written kanji characters on the bottom left hand corner of the label?Here they say one is for "heaven" the other for "earth", one means they selected the wood for tone the other means it was chosen for it`s beauty. My better Sada models have the hand written washi labels, some have model numbers others don`t. Also have several with the light blue-ish printed labels...all are dated.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM

This is my 1971 model for comparison...

heres a pic of the label, this one has no heaven or earth kanji but it does have a year and model number...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 AM

heres what the blue label looks like....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical