The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Default Flatpicking Essentials vs. Mel Bay Complete Flatpicking Guitar Book, or another?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've lurked a bit until now. I am wondering which of these books you think would be most helpful for me, or if you would suggest another.

Flatpicking Essentials Vol. 1 and 2, by Dan Miller

or

Mel Bay Complete Flatpicking Guitar Book, by Steve Kaufman

I usually play with a pick because I love the bolder sound. I really enjoy rock, blues, and folk music, and I recently discovered a very friendly local bluegrass jam, which I've attended once and I want to get into. I've been playing on and off for several years, but I know shamefully little theory, and my repertoire is lacking, too.

I realize that these books both focus around bluegrass and country, which I am very interested in, but I'm hoping that I'll also pick up a lot of skills and understanding that will transfer to other genres. I'd like to be able to improvise in any of these styles while playing solo and singing, and be able to embellish my rhythm playing with cool licks and bass runs, etc. My plain old hum and strum just may not be that interesting to listen to! I also want to be able to play decently in a jam. Which of these books will help me become a more skilled and versatile player? Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you!

PS- I'm currently working through the Guitar Fretboard Workbook, by Barrett Tagliarino, which is helping me understand the fretboard. I like learning from books! However, there isn't really any music in there, so I'm hoping to apply some of what I'm learning there as I learn flatpicking skills, too.

PPS- I'm kinda new to bluegrass and old-style flatpicking, but when I ran across some Tony Rice, Norman Blake, and Doc Watson tunes, I knew I needed to spend some serious time on this! Those guys are awesome! I'm just hoping it can help all of my playing, too.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:03 PM

I have both. I prefer Dan Miller's approach to instructional material over any others I have tried.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning toward the Dan Miller books right now.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM

I have both, and a bunch of others.
I don't mind buying a book even if I only get a few things from it.
Think of the cost difference vs. instructor lessons.
A good website with videos and tabs in bluegrass and old time music is

musicwithryan.com

All of his video and tab lessons are under $10.00 and downloadable.

(I have zero affiliation with him or his website)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I have Steve Kaufmann's 20 Tunes a Parking Lot Picker Should Know series and they are very good. Also some other books by Russ Barenberg, Orrin Starr, and Homespun videos with Doc Watson, Bryan Sutton, and Tony Rice.

My favorite study book is Jeff Troxel's A Study in Flatpicking - Twenty Tunes and Variations.

I don't know where to find it in the public domain, but you can get it from him on his website - http://jefftroxel.com/

CK
Old 02-26-2016, 06:22 PM

Flatpicking essentials is a fantastic series. I bought the vol 1 and 2 package. I like them because they take you from pioneers to more modern flatpicking. They are wordy. Lots of reading with exercises mixed in. They move through a logical step by step process. Be sure you read the homework exercises as they have you work through a lot of variations on your own. They will show notes for G strumming pattern and tell you in the text to figure out A and E on your own. He explains in the text how to figure it out and leaves you to do it. I happen to like that. You have to think musically a bit.

This week I got Steve Kaufmans 3 DVD set "learning to flatpick" so far nice set. I watched about half of the first dvd. Starts right off with "Cripple Creek" granted it is a simplified version but it is still very recognizable. As I said I only have it a week but so far I really like Steve and his teaching style.

I also downloaded Eric Lamberts 123 Bluegrass on truefire and like that a lot as well. It is very fast paced compared to the others. I think I got my $20( I think) out of this.

I would suggest, like many others. Start learning rhythm and move to leads. Bluegrass is rooted in strong rhythm especially if you are at a jam.

- Matt
Old 02-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have both and can say that they are worth their weight in gold. I would suggest picking up both of them. There is MUCH to be said for learning flatpicking from a variety of source material, and you simply can't go wrong with those instructors.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Mel has never let me down. I'm sure both are fine, tho.

1999 Gibson Dove
1996 Guild A25-NT-HR
1966 Fender Coronado I mod
Old 02-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I think I'm still leaning toward Flatpicking Essentials for now. I'll probably order it on Tuesday (for budgeting reasons, haha... gotta save up for that D-18...).

One last question- do you think that I will learn skills from those books that will help me in other musical genres, like acoustic rock or folk/indie music, for example?

Thanks again! I appreciate the welcome!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
One last question- do you think that I will learn skills from those books that will help me in other musical genres, like acoustic rock or folk/indie music, for example?
Yes. My whole point in learning bluegrass and Carter style was really to play folk rock such as Neil Young.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Awesome. I'll order Flatpicking Essentials and get started! Maybe later I'll try the Mel Bay book, too. I'll just have to see how it all goes.

Thanks again, everybody!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesForever View Post
As a fairly recent bluegrass convert after years of folk, folk-rock, old-time, Celtic and an electric mid-life crisis...I can tell you there's a lot to like about bluegrass!
1) it's everywhere; jams & other musicians are easy to find
2) it's very social; again, jams & festival everywhere
3) musicianship - the bar is high; even in most local scenes you'll generally find a ton of talent. Regionally & nationally, talent is inspirational to say the least
4) vocals; great vocal harmony is by far the rule not the exception
5) the gamut of the genre is alive; from very traditional to numerous directions of progressive bluegrass, you can find players of all stripes playing live. And the youth scene in bluegrass is amazing!

So I would say yeah, you couldn't get a better grounding for almost any other acoustic pursuit than you'll get from delving into bluegrass!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:36 PM

That's exactly what I'm hoping for! I'm excited to get back to the jam session I tried earlier!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
books, flatpicking, flatpicking essentials, learning, steve kaufman