The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 PM

Default Feel like I'm not improving

So I'm taking guitar lessons and we are learning songs and pentatonic scales and such.. I have been practicing this one song for about a month and still can't get through the first 30 seconds of the song without messing up..I can't keep with the tempo and my fingers won't move fast enough..I feel like I'm stuck in a rut..and with the other songs I'm learning, that are slightly less complicated, I still feel like I'm not improving...Can anyone recommend anything I can do??? I practice about 45 minutes a day. Do I need to up my practice time???
Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 PM

First, I would slow it down and break it into segments. Work at half speed until you get the segment down and work through the song. Then, speed it up, and work through the song. Then when you are more comfortable, bring it up to speed.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post
So I'm taking guitar lessons and we are learning songs and pentatonic scales and such.. I have been practicing this one song for about a month and still can't get through the first 30 seconds of the song without messing up..I can't keep with the tempo and my fingers won't move fast enough..I feel like I'm stuck in a rut..and with the other songs I'm learning, that are slightly less complicated, I still feel like I'm not improving...Can anyone recommend anything I can do??? I practice about 45 minutes a day. Do I need to up my practice time???
Work on 2-3 songs max. Easy ones that you enjoy playing. Play through mistakes, just keep playing and trying to fix them. In time they'll disappear.

Make sure your teacher is helping you meet your goals, not the ones he/she may think you should have. Of course, you have to be clear about what those are.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 PM

My piano teacher gives the same advise as PastorSteve. 1/2 speed easy does it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 PM

More practice time might help, but not all at once. Add another 15 min. session for just that difficult piece at a completely different time of day.
That said, I've always found it expected to plateau several times along the path. I go long periods where nothing changes, nothing gets better, and/or I just can't seem to get it at all. Then suddenly, typically after not practicing at all for a day or two - it clicks, and I'm suddenly able to do the hard part.
In my late 20's, I would figure it took 2+ months to get down a piece that was just beyond my current level. Now in my 60's, it takes at least 6! But I console myself that the pieces now are much more complicated than they were way back then! So there has been progress!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Play slowly and I would double the practice time if you can. Playing very slowly builds the muscle memory faster. I mean like maybe 20% to 25% of performance tempo.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 PM

I am going to agree here with what has been said. Slow it down and break it down. You will get there.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM

to the OP
perhaps you could work on an easier piece relative to your technical ability. That way you will build playing confidence and and take charge of a piece rather than the other way around with constant struggle.
Develop your hand strength and mobility around the neck with good structural and technical discipline.
Playing songs is the easy part.
And frustration is a sure sign of dedication, keep on going.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Default tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post

Have you had your guitar set up?/ makes it physically easier to play.Worth considering since it has numerous benefits.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:17 AM

IMO you need a better/different instructor. A good teacher won't let you flounder for weeks, by either injecting some other things to work on and/or by making assignments that are baby steps to move you forward. It might be time to consider a change.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised your teacher has not counseled you to really slow down the songs you are working on. Find the trouble spots and focus on correcting them. Make sure you are using the best fingerings and technique on the trouble spots. You have to take each song and develop a strategy to learn it slowly to develop the muscle memory and memorization. Don't be surprised as a beginner if it takes you 3-6 months to nail a song but as your skills improve, this time will come down. You did not mention if your were strumming or fingerstyle. Pick songs you like with 2-3 or 3-4 easy chord changes in first position (there are 1000's to pick from). I recommend you also pick songs you can play along to and get an app like Amazing Slow Downer where you can slow the song down to your learning tempo. It's fun and encouraging when you do this.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM

You didn't say how long you have been playing?
It can be very easy to add more practice time, do it in small focused chunks.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
First, I would slow it down and break it into segments. Work at half speed until you get the segment down and work through the song. Then, speed it up, and work through the song. Then when you are more comfortable, bring it up to speed.
I have found this to work for me as well.

I absolutely break songs down into segments. Pick an easy song; learn the verse progression - slowly at first. Learn the chorus progression - slowly at first. Bring each up to speed independently. When you are comfortable with each, start to stitch them together.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM

Default progress not perfection as a goal

I agree with slowing it down and breaking music into smaller segments for sure. Also recognize that you don't have to perfect anything before moving on. The skills to play an instrument are cumulative. In other words, each "lesson" presents some principle that is part of the whole, but to play the whole you will need many parts.

The scales are a great example. You are learning some skills in the scales that will be applied to the whole, but you are not learning the scales to perform them. They don't need to be perfect before you can apply them in real music. So even if it takes you months or years to perfect the scales, practicing them alone and in the context of songs they will get better.

Look back as much as forward. What can you do today that you couldn't a couple months ago? That is progress!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Good advice so far--slow and correct will build muscle memory. Fast and incorrect also will--in the wrong way!

In the true spirit of AGF, have you considered acquiring a new guitar? You may have to repeat this solution several times until you find the right guitar for this song!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write