The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Calming down before first open mic

I'm playing my first open mic tonight and I've never been so nervous. It's the first time in 6 years or so that I've played on stage (last time was at church). Had a hard time falling asleep last night and currently, I'm having a hard time focusing during my day job because it's all I can think about. I'm really excited and prepared, don't get me wrong, but I'm just trying to find ways to calm myself down throughout the day leading up to when I get on.

What are some of the things you do to calm your nerves? Everything from the day of to the time between getting on stage and playing your first song.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM

I have only played a couple of open mics and I can really relate. I do have a tremendous amount of experience speaking to audiences so being in front of people is nothing new. What I did and worked well for me was to logically evaluate the issue and I don't mean overthinking it. It is insecurity that creates nervousness being in front of people so if you know your material (in this case music) backwards and forwards, then it is just a matter of visualizing what you will be doing. I had played these songs dozens if not hundreds of times at home and saw myself doing the exact same thing that evening; not thinking of the audience or trying to be a performer but just playing them the way I had done so many times before. I had chosen very simple three chord strumming songs rather than try to play more complex fingerstyle pieces (the tried and true KISS principle). I still had a bit of nervousness prior to being called up (that is always quite natural) but once I got on stage and started in I concentrated on the feeling I got when I played at home. Hope that helps and have FUN!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM

Embrace the excitement! It's going to be a blast for you. Look out at the crowd, smile and enjoy the moment.

Best lesson I ever got from a fellow open mic'er was that time speeds up on stage, we tend to talk fast, play fast, forget to breathe, etc. To counter this, take a few breaths when you first get on stage... say hi... introduce yourself... thank the hosts and the crowd.... tell a joke... take another breath.... and play your song with all the conviction and everything you got.

Enjoy it. Revel in it. Good luck.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 02-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Best lesson I ever got from a fellow open mic'er was that time speeds up on stage, we tend to talk fast, play fast, forget to breathe, etc.
Right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
To counter this, take a few breaths when you first get on stage... say hi... introduce yourself... thank the hosts and the crowd.... tell a joke...
No no no! Don't tell a joke! If you're nervous you'll probably get it wrong, it will fall flat, and you'll feel even worse.
If you do tell a joke, it would have to be a very good joke, that you've told many times before (but not to this audience), and are totally confident of telling right, in a relaxed manner, and with proper timing.

IOW - you need to be at least as practised with the joke as you are with the songs you are going to play. You need to be as good a comedian as you are a musician. (But hey, if it works, you may be have an even better career as a comedian, maybe with music on the side. There's a great tradition of that.)

I'm not even sure you need to eyeball the audience, or talk to them much. Again, that's risky if you suffer from nerves already. Modesty and introversion is OK - especially in a singer-guitarist! Don't pretend to be an extrovert when you're not. That's probably the best way of embarrassing both yourself and the audience.
Of course, if you're a naturally funny guy, life and soul of parties, then jokes can be a good idea. But hey, if you're that sort of person, you're hardly going to be nervous anyway....

You don't need to introduce yourself. Get the MC or the person before you to do that. A brief thanks to him/her (for your intro) is enough, and to the crowd - IF they have clapped you on. If they haven't - don't thank them! Thank them after they clap, not before.

Look around the audience, that's important - to start with, and between songs. But no need to catch anyone's eye. A glance around is often enough. Of course, if you have supportive friends there, a nod and wink in their direction is good.

If it's really the first time you've done anything like this, you could mention that - it should get a cheer, which will help you relax. But don't go on about how nervous you are.

Introduce your first song, either with its title and who/where you got it from; or - if it's your own - a very brief sentence on what it's about. Less than 10 seconds, ideally. Cryptic is way better than verbose. (The song should explain itself.) If you wrote it, you don't have to say so. Wait till later, when someone asks you who wrote it - then feel the glow when they compliment you (they won't ask unless they liked it).

Take a breath and really think about the tempo. Before you go on, it's worth preparing by thinking of the toughest part of the song, and running through it either in your mind or in your fingers - that's as fast as you dare play! Then before you begin the song on stage, you can take a moment to think of that bit again - relax, choose your tempo, and sit on it - in the pocket.
Don't push the music - let it carry you. (Closing your eyes can help.)
If in doubt, really try to play slower than you think you need to. There's no such thing as a tempo that's too slow - not if you can hold it steady; it becomes a gentle groove. It's "too fast" that's the problem.

Lastly, remember the audience can't tell you're nervous unless you give off really obvious signs: blushing, sweating, stumbling over your words, playing false starts. If you make a mistake - carry on as if nothing happened. Quite likely no one will notice.

Last edited by JonPR; 02-15-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:38 AM

One word: Xanax.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-15-2016, 01:14 PM

a couple shots of Jack Daniels
Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM

I've been playing way to long to have any jitters before a gig. There's no easy way if you're new at it. If you just screw up the courage to do it, and then do it again and again the nervousness will subside. The real cause of the jitters is insecurity. The open mic audience is usually in your corner. They want to hear you succeed. They've all been in the same spot, and they're pullin' for you.

And no, ingesting, injecting or imbibing in intoxicating substances will not help you give a better performance, and is a terrible habit to start. I've know some good musicians who had the "just a couple before the 1st set" habit turn into getting trashed before the end of the night. It sneaks up on 'em. That's the worst piece of advice anyone could give. I'm sure those who did were doing so in jest.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks for everyone's help (and laughs from those encouraging drugs and alcohol). The night's drawing closer and I'm feeling more excited than nervous. I'm sure that'll change once my name is called.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Hopefully, your anxiety will disappear once you begin playing. That's been my experience, whether music or competitive sports. If you make a mistake, let it go. You can't get it back, so just keep going and forget about it. Most mistakes will go unnoticed anyway. Good luck!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
a couple shots of Jack Daniels
that works well
Old 02-15-2016, 04:31 PM

I did my first open mic a about a year and a half ago, and I had a bad case of stage fright. The crowd knew I was nervous and were very kind I stuck with it, and now I'm actually quite relaxed. I really enjoy performing now and it's really helped me take my music to the next level. Just get through tonight, and go back next week, or whenever it's held again. It will get a little easier each time.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-15-2016, 04:43 PM

Break a leg, man!

1999 Gibson Dove
1996 Guild A25-NT-HR
1966 Fender Coronado I mod
Old 02-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
And no, ingesting, injecting or imbibing in intoxicating substances will not help you give a better performance, and is a terrible habit to start.
Agreed. I gave up the "liquid courage" thing 20+ years ago, and now I find I do better without it. I'm still nervous, but less likely to be nervous and be the only one who doesn't notice if my performance is sloppy.

I was reminded of the joke about the young minister who was advised by someone to put some vodka in his water glass and drink it before and during the sermon. It ended up with the bishop or somebody telling him afterward, "In the first place, David slew Goliath, he didn't 'kick the crap out of him'." And it went downhill from there.

You'll probably do just fine. Be sure to let us know how it went.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I had a really great time! Told the audience it was my first time and they were very accepting. Made some mistakes here or there, but all in all, it was fun. I plan on doing this regularly. Maybe once every other week. Really helps find my flaws in playing and draw inspiration from others.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 AM

Glad you had fun! The mistakes will happen, you weren't the first or the last.
My Bud and I are doing one Thursday night at a really nice restaurant.
We will be nervous. We are very practiced and reasonably polished but when you're up there in front of people it's always different. We have performed at open mic's before and done Assisted Living stuff so we will be ok...still a little nervous. It's great to have a partner as we calm each other. We remind ourselves to have fun and relax. We do play complicated stuff. We figure "the heck with it", we're gonna' do what we do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write