The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Seems like the EV SX 100s are all you need then.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I personally feel that the BagAmp is a vast (functional) improvement over these conventional amps in the area of gig-performance.

The fact that it's a true line-array (unlike the SoloAmp, or any of the conventional amps you mention) means that it has the same kind of projection/propagation as the Bose gear. When you've got the BagAmp behind you on-stage (acting as a monitor and also the house sound) there is no problem with the volume being too loud (on-stage) to be able to reach the audience.

It looks like I'm going to also sell my Bose L1 Model II, based on what the BA can do for my gigs where there is no house PA available.
Larry, it sounds like you're liking the BA more every day. Do you think you'll look at the Mixer when it comes out? I'm wondering if I should have resisted the Soloamp itch I scratched several weeks ago ...
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Larry, it sounds like you're liking the BA more every day. Do you think you'll look at the Mixer when it comes out? I'm wondering if I should have resisted the Soloamp itch I scratched several weeks ago ...
Yes, my conclusion is that the BagAmp is going to work very well for me.

I will certainly evaluate the mixer (and the Sub, due next month) when it's available, to see if it adds any functionality. It may not be at all necessary with my simple set up:

Guitar (Highlander IP-1) > Highlander PAMDI pre-amp (Dr. Scientist Reverb looped in/out, Petersen Strobo-Flip - tuner-out) > BagAmp.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM

To get back on topic: Portable PA? I was thinking that my setup WAS going to be portable but I really like the idea of these very portable units. The BagAmp, Fishman Solo, and the Bose. They all look great. Would love to demo them side by side by side.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM

I really like the Yamaha StagePas line, they're designed very well. A few of the features I really liked:

Upsides:
-very portable - can be carried with one set of hands.
-cool design - one speaker houses the mixer in the back (removable), the other has a compartment that holds the cables
-wedge shaped speakers, so at a venue that has a system, you can use this as your monitors

Downsides:
-no phantom power

Check out the line:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...ml?CNTID=36692
Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM

I have been using the SoloAmp for a few months - sounds great. But I am not that satisifed with the sound of my guitar (not enough depth). I just picked up an Ibanez T35 Troubadour - an amazing little amp. I've had several different acoustic amps and have to say this is the best I've used. It gives a true sound in a small package -
I play alot of blues and needed some bottom to my guitar - the SoloAmp is OK , but lacks the punch. Can't beat it for vocals - great sound. Just my opinion.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM

The Passport 500 looks very interesting indeed... I think I'll check it out.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
To get back on topic: Portable PA? I was thinking that my setup WAS going to be portable but I really like the idea of these very portable units. The BagAmp, Fishman Solo, and the Bose. They all look great. Would love to demo them side by side by side.
One thing I'm sure we'd all like to see is how well the Bagamp does on vocals, but as yet teh only impartial reviewer we know of does solo guitar only. I'm assuming since the BA is a general PA, it should handle voclas the same as do the Soloamp and Bose systems.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The Passport 500 looks very interesting indeed... I think I'll check it out.
Ya for me, 2 speakers > 1 speaker still.

Or you have the option of pointing one right back at you for monitoring
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
One thing I'm sure we'd all like to see is how well the Bagamp does on vocals, but as yet teh only impartial reviewer we know of does solo guitar only. I'm assuming since the BA is a general PA, it should handle voclas the same as do the Soloamp and Bose systems.
In theory, an amplifier capable of reproducing the sound of an acoustic guitar with an acceptable level of fidelity would also be capable of reproducing the human voice with the same accuracy.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Wonder how the BA handles keys and walking left hand bass??
Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM

I play solo and gig with an acoustic group of 2 guitars, 3 vocals, and 1 violin/fiddle. We've done the van load of equipment and are all about saving our backs while putting on a good sounding performance. I've played through the L1 and the Soloamp and we liked both equally the Bose was not near as compact a system or as easy a setup. We now use 2 Soloamps and a 12 channel mixer. We've used this setup outside and inside with great sound coverage and to great reviews from our listeners. I have been watching Larry's reviews of the new BagAmp and have one on reserve. The only thing I am a bit concerned about is support, but it certainly looks like a well thought out system.
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
In theory, an amplifier capable of reproducing the sound of an acoustic guitar with an acceptable level of fidelity would also be capable of reproducing the human voice with the same accuracy.
Hi Herb...
Where this theory has weakness is the same theory can be applied and a 3mm capsule on a microphone should be capable of reproducing the same freqency spectrum as a 12mm, 20mm or 28mm mic (small diaphragm, medium diaphragm and large diaphragm)

The reality is, I almost automatically grab my Large diaphragm mics for vocals, because they sound better. And I do own two very small diaphragm mics (6mm and 8mm) but they would not be my first choice for guitars. Capability and reality often differ.

I'm really hoping the BagAmp is good for vocals, and am awaiting some confirmation by singers about this. Spec sheets are good for...well...advertising, but not noted for real world accuracy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Herb...
Where this theory has weakness is the same theory can be applied and a 3mm capsule on a microphone should be capable of reproducing the same freqency spectrum as a 12mm, 20mm or 28mm mic (small diaphragm, medium diaphragm and large diaphragm)

The reality is, I almost automatically grab my Large diaphragm mics for vocals, because they sound better. And I do own two very small diaphragm mics (6mm and 8mm) but they would not be my first choice for guitars. Capability and reality often differ.

I'm really hoping the BagAmp is good for vocals, and am awaiting some confirmation by singers about this. Spec sheets are good for...well...advertising, but not noted for real world accuracy.

I was referring to accuracy. You are probably choosing the large diaphragm mics for vocals not because they are more accurate than the smaller ones (the probably aren't), you are likely choosing them because they flatter the human voice, making it sound better than it actually is. Also, by starting my post with the clause, in theory, I was acknowledging that theory and practice don't necessarily match up.

Anyway I do have skepticism of a speaker system using full range drivers. So I'm very curious about how the BagAmp reproduces and disperses the higher frequencies. In fact, I'm curious about how BagAmp's unusual, flat-diaphragm speakers sound in general.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
I play solo and gig with an acoustic group of 2 guitars, 3 vocals, and 1 violin/fiddle. We've done the van load of equipment and are all about saving our backs while putting on a good sounding performance. I've played through the L1 and the Soloamp and we liked both equally the Bose was not near as compact a system or as easy a setup. We now use 2 Soloamps and a 12 channel mixer. We've used this setup outside and inside with great sound coverage and to great reviews from our listeners. I have been watching Larry's reviews of the new BagAmp and have one on reserve. The only thing I am a bit concerned about is support, but it certainly looks like a well thought out system.
I'll have to look into this some more. Need to see how you use 2 Solo's with a mixer. I need to figure this out before I spend the money on these 2 EV speakers. I think I'm pretty portable but no where near as portable as these new systems!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification