The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Wound 3rd?

I’m a classical newbie experimenting with strings and wondering who uses a wound third and the reasons that led them to that choice.

I’m coming from the steel string world where the third is usually wound, but it seems in the classical world it’s usually not wound.

I’ve pretty much settled in on carbons for the first and second, but I’m on the fence about the third.

Can an experienced string experimenter share what informed their choice?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Yes, that's easy. Just try it and decide for yourself what you like best.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I’m familiar with the wound 3rd string from a particular Savarez line, although I don’t recall it being wound in the traditional sense, i.e with a core and outer winding. It was more like a ribbed plastic.
It’s definitely a personal preference issue. For me it doesn’t work at all, and is a hindrance to achieving the kind of tone I’m looking for and for playing the kind of music I like, even though it isn’t all classical.
On a steel string, the third wound string seems perfectly normal to me and I wouldn’t have it any other way. But on nylon? Totally different beast.
But, your preferences may be the opposite, and your opinion would be just as valid.
If you’re curious about it, just give it a try for experimentation purposes. Nothing to lose.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I’m a classical newbie experimenting with strings and wondering who uses a wound third and the reasons that led them to that choice.

I’m coming from the steel string world where the third is usually wound, but it seems in the classical world it’s usually not wound.

I’ve pretty much settled in on carbons for the first and second, but I’m on the fence about the third.

The clarity of a third string depends on the guitar. That the Galli Genius Carbonio GR90 Hards are perfect on two of mine, they're not quite 'there' on another. Try the wound Savarez, for the experience, and give the unusual and impressive Aquila Rubino Normals a try.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 PM

They are cool when you want a really bright sound. I have tried just about all of them and settled on the Savarez. Strings By Mail sells them in singles, which is good, because given the delicate winding they are fairly short lived. You can play through one in a day.

DanO
Old 05-13-2019, 12:12 AM

For me, as a personal choice, I don't like them. I've had a wound third on my Cordoba mini and it just completely changes the character.

When moving over from steel strings, you may feel it all a bit strange, and long for a familiar feel, but the nylon string has its own characters for you to explore. The softer sound is inherent to the nylon string (relative to steel), and the softer third plays a large role in that.

Adding a wound third will do two things: Brighten that string so that it will be out of character with the 2nd and 1st, and also it will deteriorate very quickly. The trebles of a nylon string can normally out-last two bass sets, but a wound third will deteriorate quicker than the 4th string and will need changing often. If you decide to change only that wound 3rd string, it will be even more out of character with the rest of the strings.

Personally, I recommend you continue to experiment with non-nylon-polymer strings, and I think you'll come across a third string that you like and eventually get used to a new sound. I could be wrong, but I think you will prefer it in the long run.

I would try:
  • Aquila Rubino (nylgut polymer + metal powder) (ask for a set made from 07.2017 onwards)
  • Knobloch CX actives (carbon polymer)
  • Aquila Sugar (sugar polymer)
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-13-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yes, that's easy. Just try it and decide for yourself what you like best.
This of course is the best advice. I use the Savarez on three instruments and like it. Mine lasts for months but none of my instruments get extensive playing as I like to mix it up. Every non-wound third string has sounded thuddy to me, hence the use of a wound third. Yes the wound third makes for a brighter sound but at under $3.00 it is worth a try, just keep the third string incase you want to change back.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 AM

I’ve been experimenting with strings again. I’ve got the Savarez Cantiga Premium Creations on my Ramirez at the moment. It’s kind of crazy... New Cristal regular tension nylons for 1 and 2, Alliance regular carbon for 3, Cantiga high tension basses. It took a week to really settle them in, but they are probably the most balance combo I’ve ever played.

I was quite impressed with the Martin magnifico high tensions too. They are polygut made by Aquila. Ugly though.

Edited to add: I hate wound 3rds. They have no durability at all and very quickly break or unwind. Don’t sound good enough to justify the short life.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

Last edited by Paraclete; 05-16-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Comment about wound 3
Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 PM

I've used a Savarez wound third, and even their wound second (!).
Not my cup of tea. Thomastik might make an aluminum-wound one, IIRC.

My favorite third strings, both fluorocarbon: 1) Knobloch Actives CX medium, and 2) Hannabach Goldin (the Hannabach is noticeably higher tension).
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for this advice. Info about longevity is just the sort of thing I was looking for. For me, this is a conundrum. I like the little bit of growl a wound string provides, but I like the crystalline tone of a carbon string as well. If the wound string will lose the growl in short order, the carbon string is probably a better choice.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I stick with GHS Set 2510. It has a wound third.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-va...-set-2229.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical