The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Sweetness of tone - from technique...

Found I was raising my left foot against the chair even with NeckUp, so I unlatched the woven strap, and moved it up a notch. Wow.

Somehow the tone improved instantly, and playing became easier. (???) Wound up practicing for another 5 hours, kind of lost track of time. It was like discovering a new instrument, one that sounded better and was easier to play.

I wondered whether perhaps I was hearing differently from the sound hole, looking more directly into the lower bout, or because the neck was angled higher, and I was striking the strings more obliquely, that made the difference. The nut was up by my ear.

That was it. Turns out classical guitarists knew something after all.

Here are two examples of that position rendering sweet tone from a steel string guitar:
https://youtu.be/_6RkGvZ9zGo
https://youtu.be/Ip46puU50Ws

... and the explanation of how this occurs:
He is describing a nylon string instrument, but the principle is the same for steel string.
https://www.classicalguitarshed.com/...l-guitar-tone/

Simply put, he says "The angle at which we activate the string has a huge effect on the sound of the note." "Simply using good technique will help you sound better." and: “Relax Charlie, I’ve got an angle.” (I skipped the part about nails, - don't use them.) (Maybe I'll discover that later)

He continues:
"If we play perpendicular to the strings (straight across, or at a right angle to the strings) the sound is very bright. It may sound tinny or thin. It may sound metallic, like a harpsichord.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There are times when you want a thin, metallic sound. *Not always, but sometimes it’s just perfect for the moment.
Alternately, if you play very obliquely*(slanted) to the string, at a 45° angle or less, you get a completely different tone quality entirely."
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM

The perceived increase in tone was most probably caused by the change in the guitars position in relation to your ears, especially your left ear. Changing the angle of attack of your fingers as well as the position on the strings can have dramatic effects on tone, however, I don't think that this was significantly to blame here. I usually play with the guitar on my left leg and the neck up to play more nuanced pieces where I feel I need a more critical ear. This position also allows the left hand a more comfortable position especially when reaching for notes, at least for me it does. It also allows a more comfortable wrist position for the right hand. This would explain the increased comfort, if it works for you than keep doing it, it's not wrong if it sounds right. On a side note I will put the guitar on my right leg with the neck down when I play and sing, allowing my right ear to monitor the guitar and my left ear to monitor my vocals with.

FWIW,
Eric
Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

The angle (90 degrees versus oblique) is not the primary factor. It is the precise way the fingernail leaves the string, and that varies with fingernail shape, thickness, length, and degree of polish. However since most fingernails do curve a bit downward they can hook the string a bit on departure giving a brighter sound. That's a reason flatpicks generally give a rounder tone than a fingertip. Playing someone obliquely to the strings does reduce the incidence of hooking the strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The angle (90 degrees versus oblique) is not the primary factor. It is the precise way the fingernail leaves the string, and that varies with fingernail shape, thickness, length, and degree of polish. However since most fingernails do curve a bit downward they can hook the string a bit on departure giving a brighter sound. That's a reason flatpicks generally give a rounder tone than a fingertip. Playing someone obliquely to the strings does reduce the incidence of hooking the strings.
The difference in tone between an oblique angle of attack and a flat one is quite profound. The latter yields a well-defined start of each note while the former yields a diffuse "scrape" at the start.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 AM

Also, there's less of a tendency to rest your forearm on the soundboard which of course causes muting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write